The Division Breaks Ubisoft Sales Records

Lacedaemonius

Mar 10, 2016
I guess Destiny taught publishers that they could just make glossy, boring, repetitive crap, release it as a beta, then have people pay another $120 in DLC. It's a great looking game, and the mechanics are solid (like Destiny), but it's the worst parts of an RPG and an MMO. If you're just looking to use up huge amounts of time in a very familiar mechanical space though, and "pretty" is your biggest concern, this game must be a godsend.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I had to logout and reload several times before getting into a server where I could activate my Agent status. Pretty much every place had massive queues. One was out the door and onto the street, there was another where a troll kept trying to use use the terminal meaning the person at it had their progress reset all the time.

The game is a decent third person shooter but it doesn't have the ease of joining that others of the genre have. The game looks beautiful but it is just on the surface, the city feels dead and lifeless with very little visual difference between the enemies.

I kind of feel that they should have either focused on the shooter or the RPG aspect of the game, as neither of them feel as strong as they should be. You can feel the potential in both but neither side lives up to it.

What is good about the Division though is that there is plenty of potential in the franchise to tell all kinds of different stories. For once I'm actually looking forward to what they can come up with.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
How...

but HOW?

This game isn't that good. It's boring even. Do people really find this appealing en-masse? A bog-standard 3rd person cover shooter gets an MMO makeover and it sells gangbusters.

Borderlands is way better than this on a mechanical level. It isn't an MMO, but maybe The Division has just had ridiculous marketing.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
MHR said:
How...

but HOW?

This game isn't that good. It's boring even. Do people really find this appealing en-masse? A bog-standard 3rd person cover shooter gets an MMO makeover and it sells gangbusters.

Borderlands is way better than this on a mechanical level. It isn't an MMO, but maybe The Division has just had ridiculous marketing.
Alright, I'm going to generalize my response to this, because it's a common enough to warrant.

Have you considered that other peoples' opinions on subjective matters could be different? That there has been space especially recently for more grounded games, especially shooters? Siege should be proof of that, and the Division is also there to cover this as its main competitors involve space magic or robot suited superheroes with fascist undertones.

Like it or not, the Borderlands mechanics have aged. Well or not is an opinion, but there is inherent space for something to come along and give its own spin. In this case, putting Borderlands into a blender with DayZ. Could mechanics be better? Oh, always. Is the game worse if you don't co-op. Yes. But then you take a break from super-tense loot expeditions where other squads are doing their best "Lord of the Flies" impression to put the beat-down on armored flamethrower-wielding militias inside of Macy's decorated for xmas with 3 of your bestest murder-friends.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
It's funny seeing all the delusional people ITT whining that this game is so popular.
"But it just looks like generic shlock!"
"It must just be because of marketing!"
"The general population is dudebros with shit taste!"
"I watched a YouTube video of it and it looked garbage! What the hell?"

Not everybody is cynical, no-fun, or jaded like yourselves.
This game is fun. Games are supposed to be fun. That's all they're supposed to be, and The Division is.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Must have been thanks to the pre-orders. People usually don't like to wait on a queue in a store when they are aching to play the game.

PS: I think I just got an idea for a new simulator game!

xacto14

I don't like you.
Sep 15, 2009
I enjoy it, my friends enjoy it. The division is different enough from what we normally play that it is a lot of fun. Co-op is great. The dark zone with friends is awesome. Why does it matter how bland or generic it is if people are having fun? I rate the division a 9 out of 10 right now. Is it perfect, no. Am I enjoying it, hell yes.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I really do want to play it, some friends tell me it's good.
...But I want to wait until they fix it.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
No thanks. I refuse to play any Ubisoft games, and this didn't look like anything special, anyway.

I'll stay somewhat up to date with the game via YouTube and forums out of some interest in seeing what people have to say about it, but I don't plan on actually getting it. Full-priced games are 79.99 in Canada, too!

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I'll admit to being vaguely interested...but the game footage (Jingles has a pretty good video up) I've seen of it just drains any desire to play the thing.

I've got plenty of MMOs that are holding my attention right now: Tera, Blade and Soul, SW:TOR, and FFXIV.

I've also got a few grindy shooters/aracade games: Armored Warfare, World of Tanks, Warframe.

So I'm not exactly hurting for what this game seems to offer- Maybe when there's a big sale.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ron1n said:
I'm actually surprised it's sold so well. After the beta, the general consensus seemed to be the game was pretty average at best. Gameplay looked really dull to me. Just a generic 3rd person shooter with MMO grind.
Thats interesting. during the beta everyone i asked that played the beta said they loved it but it was obvious missing content since a lot was locked. Strangely, after release the opinions have shifted somewhat towards it being pretty average.

weirdee said:
record number of ubisoft customers wait in virtual line because ubisoft does not understand how to program npcs to talk to more than one player at a time, bringing back fond memories of runescape circa 2001

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdDShnWW0AI_8fD.jpg

"don't cut"
one of my most memorable experiences in videogames was waiting 4 hours in a line for a drivers license on a SAMP roleplaying server. 4 hours just standing around chatting with people. would do it all over again.

Also you can use the NPC all at once in there, however players can push eachother out of the range of NPC so most people tend to play nice and make a line because thats faster than everyone trying to push in.

RJ 17 said:
What's great is that apparently players have a little bubble around them that other players can't enter and trolls have been standing in the doorway to that room, blocking people out and locking them in. :3
you can push people out of the way.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Finally got around to playing it and I see the appeal. It's not the best game ever, but it's not garbage either. I don't understand the hate some people are giving it. So far I've either seen people say "It's not bad.", or they completely rip into the game. Which tells me the game is decent and the people complaining are just complaining to complain.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
I have been playing for a week now and I consider it to be fine, it doesn't break any moulds and is as generic as they come, but that seems to be the fare nowadays. Overall I am enjoying it.
It has a lot of similarities with Watchdogs, the weird watch thing doubling as the lore collecting device, among other things.
I enjoyed Watchdogs and Destiny and I am enjoying the Division so far (I will play it until the end of the single player game (at least it has a single player campaign), but don't see me replaying it.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
All my friends have brought this and keep bugging me to get it play with them. Problem is they all have it on a PS4 where as I have a PC. So sadly no reason for me to get this.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Weird... I went over to Gamespot and looked at the user review score. 8.8 or some crap like that, with a bunch of people giving it a 9 or a 10. The hell?

EDIT: Went over to Metacritic too. The PS4 version of the game holds a user review score of 7.2 and the PC version, a score of 6.2

... Is Ubisoft bribing certain random people to post BS review scores?
More people to drown out the bitter gamers who got left behind.

Klagermeister said:
It's funny seeing all the delusional people ITT whining that this game is so popular.
"But it just looks like generic shlock!"
"It must just be because of marketing!"
"The general population is dudebros with shit taste!"
"I watched a YouTube video of it and it looked garbage! What the hell?"

Not everybody is cynical, no-fun, or jaded like yourselves.
This game is fun. Games are supposed to be fun. That's all they're supposed to be, and The Division is.
Welcome to the Escapist, please stand by as we remove your surgically implanted hype chip and let years of bitter cynicism set into you for proper mind opening process