The DOOM Eternal review thread

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
That's ok Cocage i stopped taking you seriously awhile ago too.

If you weren't so insecure with yourself you wouldn't always be so aggressive all the time so it's ok i understand :3

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yoshi178 said:
That's ok Cocage i stopped taking you seriously awhile ago too.

If you weren't so insecure with yourself you wouldn't always be so aggressive all the time so it's ok i understand :3
Good to know you're referring to yourself and admitting your problems. Now, you gonna talk about things related to Doom Eternal or waste everyone's time shooting the shit about nothing?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Catfood220 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Animal Crossing got a total Metacritic score of 91/100

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/animal-crossing-new-horizons

curious which March 20th game will have the higher Metacritic score out of Doom Eternal and AC
I say this with no horse in the race as I have no interest in either game. But so long as they both review well and people who buy the games like them, does it really matter?
That was cute but it didn't answer my question. It even seems to say "lets enjoy both games".

But it did remind me of the dream I had where my Animal Crossing village got destroyed by the aliens from that Mario and Luigi game (I forget the name). Apparently it was a yearly event.

Feb 7, 2016
I've been going through the series in preperation. A whole marathon of the Doom series (I'm using Brutal Doom though as a base for Doom 1, 2, and Doom 64).
I'm just about finished with Doom 64, then I'll play Doom 3, then Doom 2016, and finally move on to Eternal.

I figured a Doom marathon would get me into the shoes of the Doom Guy better. A tired, callus, bloody thirsty, and possibly mentally broken, man who has seen nearly unending Hell.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
DeliveryGodNoah said:
A tired, callus, bloody thirsty, and possibly mentally broken, man who has seen nearly unending Hell.
You're overthinking it. He's just a guy who loves killing demons.

Anyways, Doom 2016 was a pretty good game, but I didn't think that it was THAT special. This, however, looks absolutely fuckin' amazing.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Adam Jensen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
A tired, callus, bloody thirsty, and possibly mentally broken, man who has seen nearly unending Hell.

Anyways, Doom 2016 was a pretty good game, but I didn't think that it was THAT special. This, however, looks absolutely fuckin' amazing.
This and Black mesa actually made the year 2020 for me.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
B-Cell said:
Adam Jensen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:

This and Black mesa actually made the year 2020 for me.
i thought Doom anything was your GOTY?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Adam Jensen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
While that may be giving Id too much credit, I think that's a valid interpretation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mar 30, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Actually, [user]DeliveryGodNoah[/user] had a pretty good angle on him. There is a fair amount of <a href=http://www.classicdoom.com/doomtext.htm>characterization in Doom 1 & 2 that is completely skipped over in more recent games that do indeed paint him in such a light. In Doom 1 we learn that the whole reason he was sequestered to UAC was after being drummed out of the marines after assaulting a superior officer after they ordered his squad to fire on civilians, painting him as a man of conscience and not just a blood-thirsty murderer. In Doom 2 the comment is made that "You stopped the invasion, saved Mars base, and became a war hero. What they don't talk about so much is that you were the only survivor." hinting at emotional scarring and PTSD. Ultimate Doom takes it one step further, out-and-out stating that the demons still "haunt your nightmares". Only in more recent times has Doomguy been stripped of his humanity to become this frag-happy demon-hunting sadist.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Grouchy Imp said:
There is a fair amount of <a href=http://www.classicdoom.com/doomtext.htm>characterization in Doom 1 & 2 that is completely skipped over in more recent games that do indeed paint him in such a light. In Doom 1 we learn that the whole reason he was sequestered to UAC was after being drummed out of the marines after assaulting a superior officer after they ordered his squad to fire on civilians, painting him as a man of conscience and not just a blood-thirsty murderer. In Doom 2 the comment is made that "You stopped the invasion, saved Mars base, and became a war hero. What they don't talk about so much is that you were the only survivor." hinting at emotional scarring and PTSD. Ultimate Doom takes it one step further, out-and-out stating that the demons still "haunt your nightmares". Only in more recent times has Doomguy been stripped of his humanity to become this frag-happy demon-hunting sadist.
The Doomguy assaulting his CO and being banished to Mars doesn't contradict the personality the early games give him, but I'd argue that PTSD kinda does. What's that you say? Personality? Well, yeah, the Doomguy does get some characterization in the games, if only through the movement of his head on the HUD. Sparse as it is, we can deduce that he's alert and unfazed (the way his eyes keep darting) and that he enjoys the carnage (the way he grins when he gets certain items). Really, there's nothing in the early games to suggest that the Doomguy is scarred at all, unless you interpret the ending of Doom 64 as him giving into madness or something.

Even that aside, him being a scarred survivour can segway into Doom 2016 nicely. I mean, this is a guy who fought demons across four games, before spending the rest of his days staying in Hell, before ending up in a parallel universe and really not giving much of a shit about anything except killing demons. I mean, don't get me wrong, the personality of the Doom Slayer is still sparse, but I can see how he gets from Point A (Doom Vanilla) to Point...I dunno, E? (Doom 2016).

Feb 7, 2016
Adam Jensen said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:

To be fair, we never really get all that much feedback of the Doom Guys psyche. This has always just been my interpretation of him. Sure, he might get an enjoyable thrill out of slaughtering thousands of demons now that he's done it over and over again, but there's got to be some kind of psychological damage from it considering nearly every ending text in the first two games states how he feels he's finally "done" and "won" against the forces of hell, only to find that there's still another invasion anyway and he has to get right back to work.

But you're just as free to interpret him as a guy who has always and will always love killing demons just as much as I'm free to overthink it and interpret him as a guy who simply pushed through the first invasion or so, but after multiple times seeing his work be almost for nothing, finally broke mentally in a way that convinced himself he enjoys it just so he would always keep doing it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
DeliveryGodNoah said:
I've been going through the series in preperation. A whole marathon of the Doom series (I'm using Brutal Doom though as a base for Doom 1, 2, and Doom 64).
I'm just about finished with Doom 64, then I'll play Doom 3, then Doom 2016, and finally move on to Eternal.

I figured a Doom marathon would get me into the shoes of the Doom Guy better. A tired, callus, bloody thirsty, and possibly mentally broken, man who has seen nearly unending Hell.

Don?t forget the Doom 3 expansion Resurrection of Evil, which quite possibly has one of the most slow and tense buildups to a final encounter in gaming.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Whooopeee, a game I'm going to miss out on since I can't never hope to run on my junk 8g memory computer is doing good. *SIGH*

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Smithnikov said:
Whooopeee, a game I'm going to miss out on since I can't never hope to run on my junk 8g memory computer is doing good. *SIGH*
you could always just buy one of the console versions of DOOM

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Smithnikov said:
you could always just buy one of the console versions of DOOM
That assumes he has a console to play it on. Not everyone has the means to support multiple platforms.