The Duke Nukem Forever demo has dropped ladies and gentlemen!

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Mildly enjoyable, I may pick it up when we see it on a Steam sale or something. To stuck in the gameplay and graphics of the previous games, and Duke while a funny steriotype is just not so funny anymore.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Craorach said:
Mildly enjoyable, I may pick it up when we see it on a Steam sale or something. To stuck in the gameplay and graphics of the previous games, and Duke while a funny steriotype is just not so funny anymore.
Yeah that's more or less my opinion.

It's not wonderful, but it's not awful. Not worth 30 quid, maybe £10 or so when it gets discounted.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Alien Mole was kind enough to supply me with the (stupid, counter productive) demo code after I didn't get one with my pre-order.

I'm happy to report to you sir, that you did not miss out on much. The demo was bad. And I mean, really bad.

Fiddly shooting, last-gen graphics, repeated audio (I got so sick of Duke's one 'jumping' grunt), unfunny jokes, annoying enemies and crap frame-rate.

I hope the actual game is better than this rubbish.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Alien Mole was kind enough to supply me with the (stupid, counter productive) demo code after I didn't get one with my pre-order.

I'm happy to report to you sir, that you did not miss out on much. The demo was bad. And I mean, really bad.

Fiddly shooting, last-gen graphics, repeated audio (I got so sick of Duke's one 'jumping' grunt), unfunny jokes, annoying enemies and crap frame-rate.

I hope the actual game is better than this rubbish.
You play it on the Xbox? I played the PC one and aside from the repeated grunt, everything else was fine. Was getting 1000 FPS XD.

Velociferocks

Jul 20, 2009
isn't the purpose of a demo to let those that are on the fence about buying it try it out first? So why the hell would you only give acces to the ones who pretty much has already bought it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
oggebogge91 said:
isn't the purpose of a demo to let those that are on the fence about buying it try it out first? So why the hell would you only give acces to the ones who pretty much has already bought it.
I'm working on uploading a video of my demo play through for those who don't have access.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I think I need to start with separating the demo from the game. I think as a demo it was underwhelming, primarily because its the exact same demo from the PAX reveal. Boss fight in a football stadium, driving section, desert. It's really short and after the build up they gave it, I mean the demo got its own trailer, I was expecting something new. Or from the finished game.

I felt the gameplay was fine, I enjoyed it although I was disappointed that its a two weapon system. Leaving my golden pistol behind felt wrong. I enjoyed the new movie quotes and am still really looking forward to the game, but the demo was definitely disappointing. Don't tell me I'm getting "First Access!" and give me something from months ago.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
The biggest disappointment for me was the two weapon system. It just feels wrong to see it in a game with Duke Nukem. At least have the decency to let us carry 2 weapons + a gun. Hopefully, on popular demand, they will take it out in a future patch/DLC.

Overall the demo was kind of meh. Too short to make a general opinion on the game, but still pretty enjoyable and fun.

I agree that giving out the demo only to FAC members is kind of a dick-move, but I can also kind'a see why they did it. They knew that just the name "Duke Nukem" will raise sales through the roof and just wanted to convince folks to preorder it so that they could get some of that money faster. The demo will probably become available for all once the game launches.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
Alright then. Basically, this is how I feel. The game is great fun, I have no real qualms about the weapon system or the EGO bar. Buuuuut, Randy did flat out lie to us. He said, bold facedly, that the FAC would get something completely new, that no one else has ever seen before besides Gearbox. What'd we get? The ******* PAX East demo. Yes, it was fun as hell, but yes he lied to us.

The Good: The game is fun. I've beaten Duke Nukem 3D before and I did feel as though I was playing a Duke Nukem game when I played the demo. Plenty of ammo and new weapons to find. Shrink Ray is amazing, especially with how you can shrink multiple enemies at once with one shot. Plenty of humor as well. Nothing quite "LOL" worthy, but that's mostly because I spoiled the best gags with gameplay videos. The one-liners are a joy to listen to sometimes.

Glad to see I can still dismember corpses. Those spider things were pretty fun to fight. I also like how you can use a QTE to punch them off. Speaking of QTEs, the Cycloid boss is good for a nostalgia trip and to mess around with. HoloDuke is great fun to use. RPG caused many-a-laughs. Ripper felt satisfying. And the difficulty was mostly fair...

The Bad: Aside from those ******* double-pistol pigs, the game felt very fair on "Let's Rock". Though, *Gasp gasp gasp gasp gasp gaaaasp* becomes kind of annoying after a while, don'tcha think Gearbox? The driving controls are iffy at best, but that might just be my computer lag talking.

The Absolute Worst of the Whole Thing: I just could not decide what was the best way to kill those octa-babies! They're just so adorable and fragile and...susceptible to explosives . Also, this demo confirmed that I need to upgrade my video card. Badly. But that's not your fault, is it Randy?

The Best Part: Those damn octa-babies are so adorable! And killable. I had the stupidest grin on my face when I saw those things crawl out. Seriously, guys, whoever came up with the Octa-babies idea, give him a raise.

What Could Have Been Better: I wouldn't have minded a slice of the multiplayer.

Overall: I am looking forward to this game. No doubt about that. I'm also looking forward to DuvalMagic's explanation as to why the demo is the PAX East demo. I'll be replaying this demo in the mean time

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Triforceformer said:
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, feels a lot like playing old school Duke 3D but with a modern twist.

My thought is that despite what may or may not be bad about it now will easily be fixed with the modding community. One thing I personally would like changed is the bloody blur effects when running etc. I'd give it about an hour after release for someone to find a way to turn that off though.

Edit: Get this

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
My guess is that they tried to make it more console friendly with the 2 weapon limit.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I actually hope the REAL game is better than this. From what I played, it's essentially a repackaged version of the PAX East demo from last year. I'm pretty sure nearly a year's worth of tweaking would bring something out in the final version. There are quite a lot of demos that suck compared to the final version, and I'm pretty sure this is no exception.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
Ddgafd said:
My guess is that they tried to make it more console friendly with the 2 weapon limit.
I don't know if it really has anything to do with consoles, you can easily have at least 4 weapons without it being hard to play with a controller. I think it has more to do with Duke Nukem Forever taking the horrid decision to jump on the realism bandwaggon even though its the last thing in the whole universe Duke Nukem should be doing.
Although I can agree that having more than 2 weapons isn't necessarily a hard thing with a controller, it's still a possibility. Seeing as PC shooters have all the numbers keys at their disposal, like in Half life having 1-8 for weapons, it's just easier to make one button switch between 2 weapons. It's speculated that it's the reason why the first Halo had a 2 weapon limit and you just hit "Y" to switch back and forth.