The Earth Fleet needs your help with naming!

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
So it's the future, in case you didn't notice. And, of course, a requirement for any future is an abundance of spaceships. So, in order to meet this demand, the Earth government has decided to commission a new fleet of ships to sail between the stars; travelling to new worlds, meeting strange and interesting things, and taking pictures with them.

Unfortunately, the people in charge of said fleet seem to have a startling lack of creativity, and thus have turned to us, fair Escapists, for the incredible task of naming this crazy collection of crafts.

So, what are your suggestions? Be they serious, majestic, funny, or just odd, all names are equally valid. Just keep in mind that these are the ships that will represent the glory of the human race- so make sure you're pretty sure that best examples of the species are the "Dick-Titan" and the "Quib-Quib".

My personal ideas are the "Britannia", the "Imperator", and the "Princess of the Night", mainly because I am nothing if not overly-serious and pretentious.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
"Enterprise", of course. It was the first space shuttle [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise] after all.

The funny thing about the Star Trek series is that even non-trekkies wouldn't blink if we named a starship "Enterprise". If we named it "Millenium Falcon" on the other hand people would roll their eyes and balk.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Anytime I have a ship be it for water or space I name it the Leviathan. It just sounds badass.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
The Odyssey is a fitting name I think, also the first human colony should be named Armstrong

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I might go Norse for a capital ship. I just like the idea of a call going in: "All-Father, this is Alpha-1, do you copy?" And then of course we could always name ships after Medal of Honor (or the equivalent from other nations) recipients (USS Audie Murphey, anyone?)...Or we could name them after comic book superheros...Can you imagine that? "Hang tight, Batman. Green Lantern and Black Lightning are poised to intercept..."

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Asita said:
I might go Norse for a capital ship. I just like the idea of a call going in: "All-Father, this is Alpha-1, do you copy?" And then of course we could always name ships after Medal of Honor (or the equivalent from other nations) recipients (USS Audie Murphey, anyone?)...Or we could name them after comic book superheros...Can you imagine that? "Hang tight, Batman. Green Lantern and Black Lightning are poised to intercept..."
I was gonna say something dumb but the Superhero idea sounds badass, I'm gonna go with that.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'd go for mythological deity names, based on said god's affinity/realm of influence.

Exploration/Diplomatic class ships would be named after chief gods/goddesses- Zeus, Hera, Odin, Frigg, Ra, etc.

War/Destroyer/Dreadnaught (i.e. we are seriously going to fuck you up) class ships would be named after gods/goddesses of war and death- Ares, Athena, Hades, Anubis, Osiris etc.

Medical class ships would be named after gods/goddesses of life/fertility- Blanking on any names right now.

And Carriers/Space Stations can be named after either pantheons or 'good' after lives- Olympus, Asgard, Elysium, Avalon etc.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Lord Garnaat said:
So, what are your suggestions? Be they serious, majestic, funny, or just odd, all names are equally valid. Just keep in mind that these are the ships that will represent the glory of the human race- so make sure you're pretty sure that best examples of the species are the "Dick-Titan" and the "Quib-Quib".

My personal ideas are the "Britannia", the "Imperator", and the "Princess of the Night", mainly because I am nothing if not overly-serious and pretentious.
You know "Quib-Quib" was the name of a type of ship from the "Berserker" series.
They were sentient self-replicating robot ships made to destroy the Berserkers

Definitely approve of "Princess of the Night", must be a ship for the Royalty of Equestria.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
twistedmic said:
Medical class ships would be named after gods/goddesses of life/fertility- Blanking on any names right now.
Off the top of my head? Artemis, Kokopelli, Isis, Yemoja, Freyr and Freyja.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
You can't go past Imperial naming traditions (both fictional and historical)

Thunderchild, Invincible, Victory Flame of Purity, Sword of Retribution, Kingmaker, Furious...

Grand names meant to inspire.

For a less serious take however try the ship names from The Culture series, which contains such gems as:

Of Course I Still Love You, Little Rascal, So Much For Subtlety, Gunboat Diplomat, Kiss My Ass, Just Testing, Funny It Worked Last Time..., God Told Me To Do It, I Blame My Mother, I Blame Your Mother, Poke It With A Stick, Another Fine Product From The Nonsense Factory, etc.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Greek or Norse mythology.

Odin, Hydra, Levianathan, valkyrie.

.....final fantasy characters?

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Yup, mythologies. There's an enormous amount to choose from, so it'll take a while to run through all of them.

As a back-up I liked the way the named all "Runabouts" in Star Trak after Earth rivers, that could also work (expand with other geographical locations as things run out).

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Ryotknife said:
Greek or Norse mythology.

Odin, Hydra, Levianathan, valkyrie.

.....final fantasy characters?
Leviathan is form the bible. Fun little fact.

On topic I say Band Mascots. That is the only true and just way. What are you talking about I am not biased at all.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
You could also reap names from Red vs Blue. From the Freelancer seasons of 9 and 10 they gave us:

[HEADING=1]Angel on My Shoulder

[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]and Mother of Invention

[/HEADING]​

Dec 14, 2009
I'm pretty sure Serenity is the best name for any ship, ever.

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me...

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm pretty sure Serenity is the best name for any ship, ever.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me...
You're probably right, but naming all Earth's ships Serenity might get a bit confusing...

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
I really like the Greek mythology names that can be applied to ships. As is the case of the Stargate franchise with Daedalus, Prometheus, Apollo, Odyssey. So apply any god/goddess, hero, or story name is easy.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
crazy_coug99 said:
I really like the Greek mythology names that can be applied to ships. As is the case of the Stargate franchise with Daedalus, Prometheus, Apollo, Odyssey. So apply any god/goddess, hero, or story name is easy.

I agree with this one we could go its sounds badass we also need a firefly class ship

and a Skywalker class and an odin class