The Earth Fleet needs your help with naming!

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Copper Zen said:
"Enterprise", of course. It was the first space shuttle [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise] after all.

The funny thing about the Star Trek series is that even non-trekkies wouldn't blink if we named a starship "Enterprise". If we named it "Millenium Falcon" on the other hand people would roll their eyes and balk.
That is because Enterprise is the oldest name in U.S. Naval history.

The 8th vessel to carry the name is a Nuclear Aircraft Carrier which is only recently decommissioned: http://www.enterprise.navy.mil/

My names would be more based on their intent. Warships would have names like Fearless, Indomitable, Courageous, Dominant, Chimaera (Star Wars reference), Valiant, and Virulence (another Star Wars reference).

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
"Shazbot" is a must. There can be no dissent in this matter.

As for the rest... eh.
Can't go too wrong with Roman names. Trajan, Arminius (okay that's just the Roman version of a Germanic name but still), Jaximus... pick your poison.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
DaKiller said:
I can think of no better name: Heart of Gold

You people better damn well know what I'm referencing
We should just name them all after Neil Young Songs... Heart of Gold, Cortez The Killer, Down By The River, Ramada Inn, Hey Hey, My My...<.<

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
In halo ghost of onyx there's a ship called "Glasgow kiss", which i think is a kick as name. if you don't know a Glasgow kiss is a head but

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Palademon said:
I'd go for naming them after mythical beasts, different gods, philosophers etc.

Vault101 said:
[b/]Terra squad[/b]

dont tell me that isnt awsome
I was trying to think of something similar, so I tried to look up gods that protect Earth, so I came across Veles, the supernatural force of the Earth in Slavic mythology.
Thor is the most well known god for Protecting Earth, midgard whatever. But yeah that was his whole thing, he is known for Thunder but most of his job involved protecting earth.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
The Kalevala would sound pretty cool. Or The Louhi. Or maybe The Sampo for a space station. Finnish mythology has some pretty cool sounding and underused names.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I propose that if a ship is ever made that has the ability to phase shift through space-time (thus being "there" and "not there at the very same time"), we name it the "Schrödinger".

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Palademon said:
I'd go for naming them after mythical beasts, different gods, philosophers etc.

Vault101 said:
[b/]Terra squad[/b]

dont tell me that isnt awsome
I was trying to think of something similar, so I tried to look up gods that protect Earth, so I came across Veles, the supernatural force of the Earth in Slavic mythology.
I think someone missed the point... just think about it, say it out loud... Terra Squad...

Now that sounds a lot like Terror Squad doesn't it? and there's your facepalm for today... even more of a facepalm if you think of it as a reference to the god awful rap group...<.<

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
twistedmic said:
I'd go for mythological deity names, based on said god's affinity/realm of influence.

Exploration/Diplomatic class ships would be named after chief gods/goddesses- Zeus, Hera, Odin, Frigg, Ra, etc.

War/Destroyer/Dreadnaught (i.e. we are seriously going to fuck you up) class ships would be named after gods/goddesses of war and death- Ares, Athena, Hades, Anubis, Osiris etc.

Medical class ships would be named after gods/goddesses of life/fertility- Blanking on any names right now.

And Carriers/Space Stations can be named after either pantheons or 'good' after lives- Olympus, Asgard, Elysium, Avalon etc.
stealing this idea. just letting you know :)

Edit: though I also liked the way Halo did it (yeah, it's a mediocre game, but the ship names are cool): Pillar of Autumn, Forward unto Dawn, In Amber Clad, Lance Held High. covie names are badass too... Truth and Reconciliation, Ascendant Justice, High Charity, Unyielding Hierophant.
They all sound so epic!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
While mythology and fantasy names instantly pop into my mind, I see that others can fill this requisite quite well. Therefore, I'm going to throw in some real life names. Preferably ones that should be remembered for good reasons.

[spoiler They are, in no particular order]
The S.S.'s:

George Carlin
Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
Sam Kinison
Lenny Bruce
Albert Einstein
Nikola Tesla
Mark Twain
"Buzz" Aldrin
Jesus Christ
John Lennon
Martin Luther King, Jr.
JFK
RFK
Thomas Jefferson
Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Muhatma Ghandi
Harriet Tubman
[/spoiler]
Consider this a partial list, as many other names can be added as soon as I remember them or are notified of them.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
I'm into norse mythology so I pledge for "Jörmungandr" and/or "Nídhöggr".
I also like the idea of naming ships after ancient gods. "Zeus" or "Odin" are obvious choises. But I think names like "Kali", "Quetzalcoatl", "Teutates", "Apophis" and gods I don't even know yet would be awesome as well.

On a less mythological side "Shield of Terra" would be a nice name.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Why don't we just use the system that Dwarf Fortress uses to come up with fort names? Then we'll have gems like Boatmurdered, Horrorfailed and our own escapists lemongate.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
After astronauts (and possibly cosmonauts/whatever countries like India/China call their spacepeople). Throw in a few politicians in there, like how we name our Aircraft Carriers, and you've got a naming convention.

That or you go for good old British-style "Name it something haughty and redonculous" like the Invincible.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
It doesn't matter what the names are, as long as one's called 'Normandy' and another's called 'Enterprise'.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
While mythology and fantasy names instantly pop into my mind, I see that others can fill this requisite quite well. Therefore, I'm going to throw in some real life names. Preferably ones that should be remembered for good reasons.

[spoiler They are, in no particular order]
The S.S.'s:

George Carlin
Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
Sam Kinison
Lenny Bruce
Albert Einstein
Nikola Tesla
Mark Twain
"Buzz" Aldrin
Jesus Christ
John Lennon
Martin Luther King, Jr.
JFK
RFK
Thomas Jefferson
Benjamin Franklin
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Muhatma Ghandi
Harriet Tubman
[/spoiler]
Consider this a partial list, as many other names can be added as soon as I remember them or are notified of them.
There's a serious problem with that, in that almost everyone has political enemies. Failing that, even the people who were the best of their time are still of their time, they'd likely not be viewed too well if they held those attitudes nowdays.

Also, who decides who is worthy or not? There's plenty of Republicans outraged that former Democrat politicians might be getting a ship named after them.

(Also, bit disrespectful to say "Jesus Christ is having space barnacles removed from cavities" or whatever).

I like the idea of recycling old ship names, one that have a history behind them.

talker

Nov 18, 2011
there would be, besides battlefleets, terraformers, passenger ships, exploration ships and merchant ships, also a kind of ship that would be sent in on autopilot and detonate it's ion core when in the midst of the enemy fleet, destroying anything within it's blast radius, known as 'detonators'.
there would be:
-the 'Titan' (battleship)
-the 'Atlas' (battleship)
-the 'Golem of Mars' (battleship)
-the 'Leviathan' (battleship)
-the 'Warmonger' (battleship)
-the 'New Dawn' (terraformer)
-the 'Hope' (terraformer)
-the 'Money is Power' (merchant)
-the 'Safe and Sound' (passenger)
-the 'Sweet Dreams' (explorator)
-the 'Venus' (recurring name for detonators)
-the 'Primed and Ready' (recurring name for detonators)

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I always liked the ship names from Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series. Often nonsensical, but nevertheless cool:

Gnostic Ascension, Madonna of the Wasps, Silence Under Snow, Third Gazometric, Transfigured Night, Zodiacal Light and of course the Nostalgia for Infinity.

Mar 30, 2010
U.S.S Torres, 'cause Fallout.

Other than that, probably just copy/paste names from the Royal Navy. Not really in an imaginative mood today.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Phalanx is one that comes to mind or any other 40k ships that people have mentioned. Anyone we come across wouldn't dare tangle with a fleet full of ships called Divine Retribution or Eternal Vigilance. Hell the Eldar ships names sound awesome too, Lacontiran springs too mind.