The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition Gets Official Unboxing

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition Gets Official Unboxing

Lead loremaster Lawrence Schick shows off the physical and digital goodies included in the collector's edition of The Elder Scrolls Online.

Zenimax Online Studios released an unboxing video yesterday of the physical collector's edition of The Elder Scrolls Online. A limited number of the Imperial Edition will produced, and the unboxing video shows off all the digital and physical bonuses it offers. The Imperial Edition allows players to play as an Imperial in any faction, and grants the ability to change the look of clothing and armor into Imperial style. Other digital bonuses include an exclusive Imperial white horse mount, a mudcrab pet, and a pair of rings of Mara, goddess of love. The rings allow two players to complete the Ritual of Mara together, and grant an experience bonus when playing together. The physical collector's edition includes a 12" statute of Daedric Prince Molag Bal, a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10239-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Preview-Mud-Crabs-Joe-DiMaggio>central player in the story of The Elder Scrolls Online. Other physical bonuses include a full map of Tamriel, and the revised edition of The Emperor's Guide to Tamriel, a 224-page art and lore book.

The Imperial Edition was pre-orders opened [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131767-Update-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Imperial-Edition-Leaked-by-Amazon] for all editions and platforms on January 29. Pre-ordering the game adds the Explorer's Pack, additional digital bonuses for each platform and edition. The Explorer's Pack grants you a scuttler pet, treasure maps for in-game loot, and removes the faction restrictions for character races. Pre-orders on PC and Mac also grant 5 days of early access to the game. The physical collector's edition will cost you $99.99, with the digital-only collector's edition will put you back $79.99. The standard game, digital or physical, costs $59.99. The Elder Scrolls Online launches for PC and Mac on April 4, with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One following in June.

The option to play as an Imperial, an outcast from my own society joining up with whatever faction might have me, is a strong pull for me. I already have a soft spot for both The Elder Scrolls and collector's editions, so this one is tempting. If they had made a cloth map instead of a printed one, I'd be doomed.

Source: Zenimax Online Studios [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqiEvH4iC0M]

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
ok, so...this is what I think.

The child side of me is screaming that this is sooooo cool! I must have the little statue and map! ART BOOK! YAY!

The 30 year old adult is saying that this is just silly and I am to old to have video game statues and video game maps on my wall.

This is obviously be to each his own.

....that statue is pretty cool ;)

BobblyDrink

Jan 20, 2014
Mostly just want the statue, looks more statue like than most other Special Edition games that come with more of an action figure. Seemed pretty nice. :eek:

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
Dammit when I first saw this I wanted it but decided not to buy this limited edition to let one more person who wants it more get it. But then the Lore Book was shown and now I really want one.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
SourMilk said:
Okay lets sum it up:

- Game with stuff which will be sold as DLC later along the line.

-A cheaply produced map - same material used with the Skyrim map.

-A pretty generic looking statue. I'll admit it looks cool but meh

-A lore/art book which we've recycled and selling back to you.

If the £40 £50 for the standalone was enough to turn me off this won't help.
You know what I like? When people go to threads to talk about how apathetic they feel towards the subject.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
SourMilk said:
Lotet said:
SourMilk said:
Okay lets sum it up:

You know what I like? When people go to threads to talk about how apathetic they feel towards the subject.
You know what I like? When people go to threads to talk about how blindly elastic they feel towards the subject.

Take a look in the mirror.
You mean ecstatic? Man, people come to discuss, say good things and bad things. Some people just come here to say how much they don't care. I mean, why bother telling people you don't care? I'm perplexed.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
So...absolutely not caring what haters think, my boyfriend and I have preordered it. The rings will be fun.

Our single roommate wants to know if they'll also be releasing a So Ronery version, tho.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
SourMilk said:
Lotet said:
You know what I like? When people go to threads to talk about how blindly elastic they feel towards the subject.

people who are excited about something have something to talk about. all you're doing is coming in declaring you don't care. so why did you bother posting in the first place? is it that important that other people know about the things you don't care about? If it is: I don't care about orange-flavoured icecream.

OT: that book looks sweet! I'm already lacking in shelf space so I don't have that much interest in the statue or the map, but man would I like to own that book. I'll probably end up going for the digital collector's edition so I can stomp around looking like a legionary :D It's realese date is right around my birthday too. I wonder how susceptible my brother is to hints...

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
SourMilk said:
Lotet said:
SourMilk said:
Lotet said:
SourMilk said:
Okay lets sum it up:

You mean ecstatic? Man, people come to discuss, say good things and bad things. Some people just come here to say how much they don't care. I mean, why bother telling people you don't care? I'm perplexed.
I mean, why bother telling people you do care? I'm perplexed. I await you explanation Mr/Mrs freud.
To express your feelings and opinion? That's one explanation anyway, not the only one. Saying you don't care seems, well, meaningless. It's a lack of substance or feeling. Your opinion is... indifference.

But hey if you feel you need to express how uninterested you are in things, go ahead. I just don't know why you would.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I still don't like the idea of them releasing a goddamn playable race within a special edition, but even aside from that, there isn't really anything here that really pushes my buttons. I'm not into maps, and though I'd like to start collecting statues, figurines and things, I currently don't have anywhere to put them, so that's not much of a pull either. Plus, I'm not into The Elder Scrolls enough to really want a statue of an Imperial.

As far as the digital rewards go, I would be unbelievably surprised if everything "exclusive" didn't wind up as DLC at some point, if only because people are going to be whining and complaining about not being able to get it when the game goes live. This exemplifies why I don't like MMOs all that much, though: there are very few companies who know how to run an MMO without seeming like giant assholes. Zenimax isn't off to the best of starts in that regard.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
In-game weddings with rings to boot. Haven't seen those since my days in Everquest. This presents lots of RP opportunities.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yagami_Kira said:
Of course anyone who buys that game is completely insane anyways.
Yes. An overhyped, high-budget Star Wars MMO made by Bioware while people still loved them couldn't keep a subscription only model for a full year. But a game made by a studio where one of the people in charge thinks that everything that happened in single player TES games is just imaginary and the MMO world is the real thing is supposed to last like WoW? Not a chance.

Lotet

Aug 28, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Yagami_Kira said:
Yes. An overhyped, high-budget Star Wars MMO made by Bioware while people still loved them couldn't keep a subscription only model for a full year. But a game made by a studio where people think that everything that happened in single player TES games is just imaginary and the MMO is the real thing is supposed to last like WoW? Not a chance.
What do you mean by imaginary? The MMO is based hundreds of years before all the single player games, unless that's not what you meant.

INVALIDUSERNAME

May 23, 2012
Lotet said:
Adam Jensen said:
Yagami_Kira said:
Yes. An overhyped, high-budget Star Wars MMO made by Bioware while people still loved them couldn't keep a subscription only model for a full year. But a game made by a studio where people think that everything that happened in single player TES games is just imaginary and the MMO is the real thing is supposed to last like WoW? Not a chance.
What do you mean by imaginary? The MMO is based hundreds of years before all the single player games, unless that's not what you meant.
I'm assuming he's referring to this quote from the "Loremaster" of TESO:

Which, of course, is the equivalent of saying KOTOR 1 and 2 were horseshit fantasies but SWTOR? Oh man, that's the real lore right there.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Yagami_Kira said:
The most hilarious things about eso's blinders are that its quite obviously a quick cash grab. Buy in, subscription, AND a cash shop. The fact that it wasn't even made by Bethesda. Blatant disrespect for the lore (one of the factions is norn, dork elf, and argonian... And this takes place immediately after the argonians got out of dork elf slavery.)
Captcha: a turbotax advert. Fuck you escapist stop trying to shove advertising in every little thing. I know Durham is a shithole. Move your HQ and maybe you won't have to try to money grub everything.
Somebody woke up fussy. Maybe a Flintstone's Chewable and a juice after a nap will help.

Or the inevitable mod warning...

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
Pink Apocalypse said:
Yagami_Kira said:
The most hilarious things about eso's blinders are that its quite obviously a quick cash grab. Buy in, subscription, AND a cash shop. The fact that it wasn't even made by Bethesda. Blatant disrespect for the lore (one of the factions is norn, dork elf, and argonian... And this takes place immediately after the argonians got out of dork elf slavery.)
Captcha: a turbotax advert. Fuck you escapist stop trying to shove advertising in every little thing. I know Durham is a shithole. Move your HQ and maybe you won't have to try to money grub everything.
Somebody woke up fussy. Maybe a Flintstone's Chewable and a juice after a nap will help.

Or the inevitable mod warning...
Nah. Just have a mild concussion and had to drive to Durham today, so my general distaste of Escapist's money whoring, combined with my hatred of Durham, has reduced my tolerance for Escapist's shit.