The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Confirmed for Nintendo Switch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Confirmed for Nintendo Switch

Skyrim on Switch.

During Nintendo's Switch presentation Thursday night, Bethesda's Todd Howard appeared via video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME] to officially confirm a Switch port of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. This news follows a tease of the game during the Switch reveal trailer back in October, although everyone was hesitant to officially confirm the port until today.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/ElderScrolls/status/819778545404682240]

"We love to make games and worlds that you can get lost in. That you can make your own. And that you never want to put down. Well, now you don't have to," Howard said. "Now you can play Skyrim wherever you want and take it on your own adventures."

"What's really exciting for us at Bethesda is to finally work with Nintendo," he said. "The Switch is both classically Nintendo and something new and we are honored to be a part of it."

No release date was given for the port. The Switch launches worldwide on March 3.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Probably won't have mod support,but,you know what? That really shouldn't matter. Skyrim's an excellent game,and though modding makes it better,being able to play it on the go is going to get a LOT of people's attention. Hell,I'm actually tempted to get a Switch when it comes out,so I can play Skyrim while I'm out and about. This hasn't happened since the release of Bloodborne made me want a PS4.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Couldn't even spring for the newest Bethesda game. I'm so sorry future Switch owners.
I'm sure most if not all future Switch owners will have an accompanying gaming PC or PS4/Xbone. But with that still, why bother with a 6 year old game on the weakest system.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
silver wolf009 said:
Couldn't even spring for the newest Bethesda game. I'm so sorry future Switch owners.
I'm sure most if not all future Switch owners will have an accompanying gaming PC or PS4/Xbone. But with that still, why bother with a 6 year old game on the weakest system.
I'm not sure which is worse, that they aren't trying to pull the WiiU opening lineup of previous generation ports to at least try and increase diversity in their lineup, or that they're so completely unconcerned as to dangle a 5 year old game in front of people and hope that's that.

And they STILL haven't gotten the Legend of Grimrock onto their consoles, despite having the perfect periphery for it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They need to get something as big as GTA V or Battlefield or CoD on this. It will never happen though, and for that reason the console won't sell well to anyone other than hardcore Nintendo fans.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am wondering what cuts they had to make to the game to get it to run on such a weak system. Then again, they confirmed Skyrim, not Skyrim Special Edition.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
They need to get something as big as GTA V or Battlefield or CoD on this. It will never happen though, and for that reason the console won't sell well to anyone other than hardcore Nintendo fans.
Generally speaking Nintendo will get Call of Duty, at least for a while.

The Wii U got Black Ops 2 and then Ghosts before Activision noticed nobody was buying. The Wii got every game from Modern Warfare to Modern Warfare 3 so somebody must have been buying it.

Activision will do anything for some extra sales, so I'm sure the next couple of CoD's will be on Switch. As for Battlefield and GTA, nah.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
My question is - who is this for? As others have noted Skyrim isn't exactly the newest game around town, and I feel anyone who even gives the game a 3/10 would've picked it up on a console of PC during one of the MANY sales where it's been available for 5 bucks, soo... yeah, who exactly is this targeted at? The only people I can think of are the rare few with the disposable income to spare who want the novelty of a portable Skyrim, that's about it.

Personally, given I've already got Skyrim on both my PC and PS4, not exactly going to be fighting through the hordes on launch day for this. Get back to me when there's a pokemon game on there, Nintendo, then we'll talk.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Wrex Brogan said:
My question is - who is this for?
Presumably for the few hundred Nintendo fans who have never had a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One or PC capable of running Skyrim.

They must be out there.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Presumably for the few hundred Nintendo fans who have never had a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One or PC capable of running Skyrim.

They must be out there.
So, for the Nintendo Executives then?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Riddle78 said:
Probably won't have mod support,but,you know what? That really shouldn't matter. Skyrim's an excellent game,and though modding makes it better,being able to play it on the go is going to get a LOT of people's attention. Hell,I'm actually tempted to get a Switch when it comes out,so I can play Skyrim while I'm out and about. This hasn't happened since the release of Bloodborne made me want a PS4.
Each to their own, but... You'd buy an entirely new console for what would be the very worst version of a six year old game?

I think it's rather embarrassing that they made such a big deal of Skyrim at a new console reveal. Fallout 4 would've been more impressive (and far less bizarre), even if it would be the worst version on all platforms if mod support wasn't included.

Has any word been said on mods, though? There's surely no reason why Switch couldn't use 'em, and allowing as full support as is possible on console would bump Skyrim (or Fallout 4) above the PS4's half-arsed version.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I guess it could be cool to take Skyrim on the go with you. Although I can only imagine how short that thing's battery life will be.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Bindal said:
fix-the-spade said:
Wrex Brogan said:

They must be out there.
Or, you know... Me?

Pretty sure there's more than a few people who haven't played skyrim yet. I'm probably getting this for breath of the wild and the hopeful smash bros at least so it's a bonus. Also, portable skyrim.

Apr 5, 2008
So...the game that showcased the Switch in its reveal trailer is going to be released on the Switch? How suurprising!? Never saw that coming.

Strangely, Skyrim has somehow, in 5 years become one of those games with a crazy number of versions. It has three versions on Steam, four on consoles and now another on Switch. I wonder if it will become the next Resident Evil 4 for how many times it's been (re)released.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
Riddle78 said:
Each to their own, but... You'd buy an entirely new console for what would be the very worst version of a six year old game?

I think it's rather embarrassing that they made such a big deal of Skyrim at a new console reveal. Fallout 4 would've been more impressive (and far less bizarre), even if it would be the worst version on all platforms if mod support wasn't included.

Has any word been said on mods, though? There's surely no reason why Switch couldn't use 'em, and allowing as full support as is possible on console would bump Skyrim (or Fallout 4) above the PS4's half-arsed version.
nintendo giving people the power to legally modify their games? whats next? EA giving complete games? bethesda making bugfree games?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
rosac said:
Bindal said:
fix-the-spade said:
Wrex Brogan said:

They must be out there.
Or, you know... Me?

Pretty sure there's more than a few people who haven't played skyrim yet. I'm probably getting this for breath of the wild and the hopeful smash bros at least so it's a bonus. Also, portable skyrim.
With only up to 6 hours of portable power (and probably a lot less if you're actually playing a game) doesn't sound like a really good trade-off when you can just get the PC Version for a cheaper price.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
When one of your centre-piece games is from 2011, there might be something wrong.

Overall, underwhelming. I'm not really sure who this is supposed to appeal to, or why Nintendo is going to lengths to advertise it. It's at best "Oh, that's neat, I guess". But, at this point the game will be almost 6 years old by the time it releases on the Switch.

I'm not seeing the elusive, "wants to be play Skyrim, but, hasn't in the past six-years", market.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...Annnnd the response goes pretty much as expected.

Tell you what. I'm still waiting on firm word about the device's battery life. But if it can hold out longer than the three-to-four hour range that's still all too typical for most "gaming" laptops running under load, I can imagine a lot worse companion for a long plane, train, or bus ride than Skyrim.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Everyone keeps talking bout how this is the only portable version, but I have a near ancient laptop that runs Skyrim. Hell a good laptop can run Special Edition easy so I don't see the big deal