The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Review

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Minecraft has spoiled us. When we heard, "build your own home." we thought "What is all of the crazy stuff I've built in Minecraft? Can I do it in HD?"

Still looks like fun, but just have to remember it isn't minecraft...

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Well since there already was a mod that let you build just about anything on pc, tho last i looked it caused crashes when built in certain areas, since you could build anywhere, believe it was wars in skyrim and the house mod did not like to play together, tho i have had issues with wars in skyrim causing ctds anyway if i just try to run through them for any amount of time seems to make the game crash in general.

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Greg Tito said:
kitsuta said:
Hey Nasrin, congrats on (what I'm pretty sure is) your first editorial piece!

Considering how lauded Skyrim was, I'm a little surprised that both DLC packs - each of which cost 1/3rd of the game's price themselves - seem rather subpar. I have to wonder if the development team is feeling rushed for some reason.
Hey kitsuta! Good to hear from you!

I think Hearthfire is only 400 MP or five bucks compared to Dawnguard which was $20.

Greg
Ohai!

Pff, that'll learn me to assume both DLC packs cost the same. $5 makes a lot more sense for this, but it's still a bit odd that they'd have such shallow DLC for what was such a deep game.

That said, if they come out with a GOTY edition before I manage to get the game, I'll probably buy that version. Because I am a sucker, apparently.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Well it sounds like my worries about house customization turned out to be valid. Dissappointing but it's only a tiny DLC so no big lose.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I didn't expect this little addon to offer much in the way of customisation options really, being console DLC and all, but it's still a little disappointing to see there's not much scope to be creative in building a house here.

I'm more curious as to what that horse is the player is riding in the video. Never seen it's type before myself....

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Can we please please stop with the "there's a mod for that". Maybe before you jump out and say "there's a mod for that" you should, I don't know, ACTUALLY CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS ONE. Look I love mods and mod the hell out of my games but I have searched extensively and as far as I can tell there is no such mod that does what Hearthfire does. IF there is one out there and I have missed it then please by all means point it out to me. I will very very happily eat crow and I swear to god if one more person who clearly hasn't played it posts the build your own house mod one more fucking time. I have that mod installed and judging by this review it offers less choices than Hearthfire does.

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
MarsProbe said:
I didn't expect this little addon to offer much in the way of customisation options really, being console DLC and all, but it's still a little disappointing to see there's not much scope to be creative in building a house here.

I'm more curious as to what that horse is the player is riding in the video. Never seen it's type before myself....
It's Arvak, the skeletal horse you get as a quest reward in the Soul Cairn. It's part of the Dawnguard DLC. Steve and Paul's review on Dawnguard talks about it a bit :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9783-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Dawnguard-Review

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Musicfreak said:
Can we please please stop with the "there's a mod for that". Maybe before you jump out and say "there's a mod for that" you should, I don't know, ACTUALLY CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS ONE. Look I love mods and mod the hell out of my games but I have searched extensively and as far as I can tell there is no such mod that does what Hearthfire does. IF there is one out there and I have missed it then please by all means point it out to me. I will very very happily eat crow and I swear to god if one more person who clearly hasn't played it posts the build your own house mod one more fucking time. I have that mod installed and judging by this review it offers less choices than Hearthfire does.
On the first page of this thread someone posted a video of what you can do in that mod. I don't know how extensively you searched because it's not difficult to find.

O.T: too bad, I was really hoping it would be more. Even though I like Skyrim on the Xbox I miss all the mods I had on Morrowind (I really have to upgrade my pc ! ). I still think we should support Bethesda though. At least they're trying.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Hurry up with that Shivering Isles-style expansion packs like you promised, Bethesda!
I really want to know where people get this from, Todd Howard himself said that the DLC would NOT be SI size, but more Point Lookout size, with smaller DLC, like Hearthfire, to break up the time between big DLC releases.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
Shouldn't the score have been 2/5 if you were only lukewarm on it? The ratings lately have all been a bit high, with many 4s and 4 and a halves. Since 2/5 is described as die-hard fans of the series being able to get something out of it, I feel like you should have just settled with 2/5.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
sounds boring and not worth the money. Still better than horse armor, i guess...

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
I mean, it wasn't astounding, but it was 5$, what were you expecting? You got some new houses, and a neat adoption system.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Sounds dissapointing indeed.
And Nasrin? I must say both your voice and pronounciation are...perhaps the most clear i've heard on this site.
For reviews that is.
I'd love to hear you more,not that the other 'reviewers' are bad, they just have a funny way of pronounciating things that makes it hard to understand them sometimes, but i had no issues with you.

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
personion said:
Shouldn't the score have been 2/5 if you were only lukewarm on it? The ratings lately have all been a bit high, with many 4s and 4 and a halves. Since 2/5 is described as die-hard fans of the series being able to get something out of it, I feel like you should have just settled with 2/5.
If they were charging 20 dollars for it I'd probably have felt that way, too.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Nasrin said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Review

Not as personalized as you might think.

Read Full Article
I'm disappointed to hear this... but very glad to hear it before purchase.

The ability to do things in a game is important, but it never quite reaches its potential unless that ability comes with a reason. This is even more true with non-combat content, which has gotten increasingly marginalized as game generations roll on.

The 'last great housing frontier' for me was Star Wars Galaxies. You could make practically anything, store and show it however you wanted, and the in-house vendor system made sure there was a reason for it all -- if people bought your goods, they traveled to your house to get them.

Since then, most games have either thrown away housing, removed any sort of customization freedom, and/or eliminated any reason for people to visit the houses of others. Houses are glorified storage hubs. It's a shame, really. Non-combat content can add so much depth to a game -- especially one that seems to be about exploring and inhabiting a world (as is the case with Skyrim).

That all said, congratulations on your first review!

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Better than i feard worse than id hoped im stuck with only 3 rooms thats retarded i shouldnt be denyed a kitchen because i want an armoury and i wanted a huge dragon skull on the front and a word wall where Paarthunax could sit and visit and a magical tower where i could craft my own spells bring back spell crafting bethesda

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Is that what the lighting looks like on the Xbox 360? HAAAH.

Anyway, once this baby hits PC, we'll see an armada of mods that'll feature new build locations, children "developing", additions, more rooms.

M'yes, it will be a good day.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I think its funny how everyone has only bad things to say about oblivion and yet when they talk about great xpacs from any game the 2 that come up are broodwars and shivering isles. By this point selling any DLC for skyrims basically a crap shoot anyways what with the mod community.

Captcha: kitty kat, :looks up: Hi frieza