The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Review

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm not surprised at how restrictive it is.

If you wanted to build a house anywhere with anything then there's Minecraft. You can also do Multiplayer Minecraft and show off!

*goes back to playing Sims2 with Sims that have Viking hats*

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The cost is actually ridiculously low. I have like 300'000 gold pieces stashed in a chest somewhere and another 200'000 on me. I quite honestly sold 99% of the crap I found and the rest of the time I made potions instead of buying them so I never needed to buy anything except a leather strap once in a while when upgrading my armour.

So yeah. Another pointless DLC pack that has been done several times better by mods.

I don't see why I shouldn't wait for these to go on sale for 1$.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Is it really pathetic that I am just going to get Hearthfire to get 100% of the achievements?
Literally I never have done it before so I do my best to do it in Skyrim.

Last game I did that in was the first Spyro the dragon.
The...taunting of some enemies still haunts my dreams man...

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but someone made a mod on the Steam Workshop that allows you to build a house with huge amounts of customization, similar to The Sims.

And you console players have to pay for a less comprehensive version, *smugface*

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
AT God said:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but someone made a mod on the Steam Workshop that allows you to build a house with huge amounts of customization, similar to The Sims.

And you console players have to pay for a less comprehensive version, *smugface*
Don't suppose you have the name of the mod?

Would like that.

Alternatively, I'll wait and buy the DLC, then Download mods that use it to expand the concept.

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
tmande2nd said:
Is it really pathetic that I am just going to get Hearthfire to get 100% of the achievements?
Literally I never have done it before so I do my best to do it in Skyrim.

Last game I did that in was the first Spyro the dragon.
The...taunting of some enemies still haunts my dreams man...
No, it's not. I'm doing the EXACT same thing right now. Since i completed all the pre-DLC content by level 49 it has been very boring for me to level. The past 20 have involved a lot of purchasing lesser skills and summoning endless frost atronachs. Since you have to be between 70 and 78 for the legendary dragons to begin spawning, and this is the last thing I have yet to get, I've been pretty single minded about the whole process.

It did bother me that leveling up vampire and werewolf didn't contribute to overall level progress, too.

Gotta finish before Borderlands 2 comes out!!

- Nas

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Why doesn't Bethesda simply deliver an expansion that doesn't have to compete with modders at all, a.k.a. diving into the canon and lore. A lot of people thought Skyrim was an improvement over Oblivion setting-wise but still felt too "steroetypically vikingy" to compete with Morrowind which was an island full of strange creatures - and as a result, really fun to explore and get lost in.

Heck, they could even use this opportunity to lead over to the inevitable TESVI if they're so inclined. They already got the plot for that one seeing how nearly all Towers that uphold reality are fubar.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
l3o2828 said:
Sounds dissapointing indeed.
And Nasrin? I must say both your voice and pronounciation are...perhaps the most clear i've heard on this site.
For reviews that is.
I'd love to hear you more,not that the other 'reviewers' are bad, they just have a funny way of pronounciating things that makes it hard to understand them sometimes, but i had no issues with you.
Can you provide an example of something I "pronounciate" wrong? I do have an accent, just curious what you have trouble understanding.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
l3o2828 said:
Sounds dissapointing indeed.
And Nasrin? I must say both your voice and pronounciation are...perhaps the most clear i've heard on this site.
For reviews that is.
I'd love to hear you more,not that the other 'reviewers' are bad, they just have a funny way of pronounciating things that makes it hard to understand them sometimes, but i had no issues with you.
Can you provide an example of something I "pronounciate" wrong? I do have an accent, just curious what you have trouble understanding.
Not you, Susan Arendt.
It's mostly the males that i have to be very attentive to if i want to understand them.
And yes, they DO have accents that i find hard to comprehend.
I don't want to sound whiny or anything...but it's just probably me who has this issues.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
tmande2nd said:
I heard they just did a smaller DLC to get out of their 30 day deal with Microsoft.

But yeah...this is really kind of well shallow.
I mean Dawnguard added lots of content...this just added three houses.
This. I mean, the kids don't even grow up? I agree with the reviewer: "It feels like a waste of time".

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Not touching Skyrim till the GOTY edition is out. Can't be assed to buy the expansion packs separately.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
That's actually pretty much what I was expecting. I had friends telling me that it was going to be awesome because you could pick anywhere on the map to build your house, that building the house would be nearly Minecraftian in it's customization with you being able to place every detail yourself. I doubted that it would be this in-depth, figuring that it would pretty much be just as the video describes. Nice to see I was right. :p

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
kburns10 said:
tmande2nd said:
I heard they just did a smaller DLC to get out of their 30 day deal with Microsoft.

But yeah...this is really kind of well shallow.
I mean Dawnguard added lots of content...this just added three houses.
This. I mean, the kids don't even grow up? I agree with the reviewer: "It feels like a waste of time".
Of course they don't grow up, on my current character I have logged about 90 hours, how many days have passed ingame? 65.(That is including lots of sleeping and other time wasting since I RP in skyrim, granted I did slow time by a bit.) Kids don't grow up that fast.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
Nasrin said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Review

Not as personalized as you might think.

Read Full Article
Thanks for the info Nasrin, Im stilling having bugs with my Skyrim PS3 version, cant even complete a load of quests :( so I'll wait on Hearthfire till I get it for PC.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I actually only just started playing Oblivion (bought it years ago, got sidetracked by Minecraft & a few MMOs). I'll buy Skyrim when the GOTYE is out, & this will likely be bundled with it. Ugh, I still need to get Dragon Age 1 & 2 too.....

So I'm assuming they don't let you choose wall & furniture colors?

We can adopt in Skyrim? Does that mean you can get a spouse like in Fable?

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
likalaruku said:
I actually only just started playing Oblivion (bought it years ago, got sidetracked by Minecraft & a few MMOs). I'll buy Skyrim when the GOTYE is out, & this will likely be bundled with it. Ugh, I still need to get Dragon Age 1 & 2 too.....

So I'm assuming they don't let you choose wall & furniture colors?

We can adopt in Skyrim? Does that mean you can get a spouse like in Fable?
You already were able to marry, but there's no sex or real intimacy or anything. It just opens up new gameplay features like they'll cook you a meal a day and will open a "shop" to share with you.

No, you don't choose any colors in home building.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I hope in other expansions you can customize your house a little better, we all know what Bethesda are like, they release something, then in another expansion, they fix a few of the issues in the last one and improve it a little -.-