The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
Where did you get that really, really cool glowing, purple flame sword?
It's the Bound Sword, a Conjuration spell. It has the benefit of not taking up space in your inventory and some massively powerful perks once you get your Conjuration skill up to a high enough level.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Steve Butts said:
Vault Citizen said:
Where did you get that really, really cool glowing, purple flame sword?
It's the Bound Sword, a Conjuration spell. It has the benefit of not taking up space in your inventory and some massively powerful perks once you get your Conjuration skill up to a high enough level.
Thank you.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Deviate said:
I just wonder, with all the dragons in the game, will a sneaky archer still be viable, or will it be gimped in such fights?
According to PC Gamer's review, no, your sneaky archer will not be gimped in the slightest. They make explicit point of that in fact.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/10/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review/

Or maybe it was Rock, Paper, Shotgun's review:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/10/skyrim-review-pc/

Either way, seems no, not at all.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
not to brag or anything but i dont need reviews i already am playing it got to love austraila it is good to see it gt the good reviews it deserves though

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
So, my life is about to get mauled by Skyrim. Can anybody say fail?

What? No. I didn't go to class today. What are you crazy?... I have Skyrim dumbass, I don't need to go to class. They'll fail me? Bullshit, the professors are all in bed playing Skyrim... What? Yes they do. EVERYBODY PLAYS SKYRIM O.O

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Got it in my mailbox this morning, turns out my DVD drive is borked and won't read the any discs suddenly :/

Sadface...

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
draythefingerless said:
Ruwrak said:
draythefingerless said:
Deviate said:
So, I've gone from being 'meh' about all the Skyrim hype until these last two days where I've been... well, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

I just wonder, with all the dragons in the game, will a sneaky archer still be viable, or will it be gimped in such fights?
I dont think Stealth is an option when it comes to killing a dragon....
Maybe you can poison it's tea?
Thats just stupid and silly......i mean, how are you supposed to know whats poisonous to a dragon?
Probably it's own blood. So ask him if he can donate some blood for the bloodless dragons fund. Then poison his complimentairy tea with his own blood.

Gah why don't people get this!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
The world looks beautiful...Like seriously i will be on this for days just exploring...

I really can't see why anyone curses this game...the video's i have seen make it look even more awesome every single time :|

Firstmark_Bannor

Aug 11, 2011
jawakiller said:
So, my life is about to get mauled by Skyrim. Can anybody say fail?

What? No. I didn't go to class today. What are you crazy?... I have Skyrim dumbass, I don't need to go to class. They'll fail me? Bullshit, the professors are all in bed playing Skyrim... What? Yes they do. EVERYBODY PLAYS SKYRIM O.O
Psh, Not everybody plays Skyrim. I certainly won't be. Ever. Also since you asked, I'll say it for you. Fail.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
It looks pretty cool so far. I'll have to wait a bit until I can afford to buy it like, but I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of which, anyone wanna buy a kidney?

Although, one thing is making me nervous. I've seen a lot of promotional/trailer videos in the run up to this game, and I don't think I've ever actually seen a character blocking unless they're holding a shield. I'm planning on playing a dual-wielding rogue type character who'll probably be too busy skulking through shadows to learn how to use a shield. Will I still be able to cower behind my daggers and block enemy attacks when I invariably cock up the stealth?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Steve Butts said:
*snip all the contextually relevent stuff*
I must say, your choice in comic book heroes is spectacular.

OT: Just got word that my Skyrim is on its way!

So... happy... eyes... sweating. Men dont cry, just sweat thats all!

Jan 23, 2010
Ruwrak said:
draythefingerless said:
Ruwrak said:
draythefingerless said:
Deviate said:
So, I've gone from being 'meh' about all the Skyrim hype until these last two days where I've been... well, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

I dont think Stealth is an option when it comes to killing a dragon....
Maybe you can poison it's tea?
Thats just stupid and silly......i mean, how are you supposed to know whats poisonous to a dragon?

Probably it's own blood. So ask him if he can donate some blood for the bloodless dragons fund. Then poison his complimentairy tea with his own blood.

Gah why don't people get this!
How can it's own blood be poisonous to itself? So it will die from it's own blood entering it's own bloodstream? In that case, we are all walking dead. :D

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Fuck work, I shall devote my life to the adventures of my retired Nordic hunter as he's once again dragged into a life of adventure!

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Reviewing a game like Skyrim is a bit like reviewing an entire grocery store on the strength of a single orange. The whole game is so vast and so detailed that the context for your experience could be drastically different from mine.
I'm glad those were the two first sentences of the review. Yes, the quality TES games tend to be quite subjective at times, but I'm still psyched about this. Just a few more hours...

Also, good voice acting in an elder scrolls game? You, sir, must be joking...

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
gallaetha_matt said:
It looks pretty cool so far. I'll have to wait a bit until I can afford to buy it like, but I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of which, anyone wanna buy a kidney?

Although, one thing is making me nervous. I've seen a lot of promotional/trailer videos in the run up to this game, and I don't think I've ever actually seen a character blocking unless they're holding a shield. I'm planning on playing a dual-wielding rogue type character who'll probably be too busy skulking through shadows to learn how to use a shield. Will I still be able to cower behind my daggers and block enemy attacks when I invariably cock up the stealth?
You can block with a shield, 2 handed weapons and one handed weapons as long as your not dual wielding.

Put simply, blocking is dictated by your left hand in this game (left bumper/trigger or whatever the corresponding mouse button is). If your left hand is occupied by another weapon, or magic, then you can't block but your offensive power is doubled (roughly) so that's the trade off.

thethingthatlurks said:
Reviewing a game like Skyrim is a bit like reviewing an entire grocery store on the strength of a single orange. The whole game is so vast and so detailed that the context for your experience could be drastically different from mine.
I'm glad those were the two first sentences of the review. Yes, the quality TES games tend to be quite subjective at times, but I'm still psyched about this. Just a few more hours...

Also, good voice acting in an elder scrolls game? You, sir, must be joking...
I guess that's down to the cast... some amazing actors are in the game.

But, as was also mentioned, the NPCs still seem stiff (Beth can't seem to get that straight sadly) so good voice acting will actually emphasise the notable lack of emotion in the characters.

I read somewhere that a good imagination is a boon for swallowing the dialogue, lucky for me. Yet it's easily overlooked with everything else on display, and at least there is more variety then in Oblivion (70~ voice actors lend their talents to skyrim).

Cat of Doom

Jan 6, 2011
Zhukov said:
Five stars, eh?

So... about as good as Dragon Age 2 then?

Good to know.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Sorry, but that shit-stirring opportunity was too good to miss.
Ah, well seeing as DA2 was a brilliant game I should expect this to as well be amazing.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Ed130 said:
As for the facial animation, do Bethsesda use motion-capture? or is it all just animators?
If their using mo cap for the faces, where did they find the most boring actors ever?