The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
ZeppMan217 said:
But the question is - will Yahtzee review it?
The question is: Does anyone care?

OT: Can't wait to play it. I was really hoping that I'd get lucky and my pre-ordered Collectors Edition would come today, but it hasn't. I will be up bright and early tomorrow sitting eagerly at my front door.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
Mmmm, Skyrim. My patience shall pay off. I have shot myself in the foot though, I'm working tomorrow and haven't shut up about this game to my gamer colleagues so if I fail to turn up at work I will get ratted out *sigh*

What's the betting I come in to work tomorrow and every other gamer is off work?

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
I'm curious, how did you decide who got to testplay the review copy? Office lottery? quake tournament? cagefights?

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
The Almighty Grigard said:
Ruwrak said:
draythefingerless said:
Ruwrak said:
draythefingerless said:
Deviate said:
So, I've gone from being 'meh' about all the Skyrim hype until these last two days where I've been... well, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

I just wonder, with all the dragons in the game, will a sneaky archer still be viable, or will it be gimped in such fights?
I dont think Stealth is an option when it comes to killing a dragon....
Maybe you can poison it's tea?
Thats just stupid and silly......i mean, how are you supposed to know whats poisonous to a dragon?

Probably it's own blood. So ask him if he can donate some blood for the bloodless dragons fund. Then poison his complimentairy tea with his own blood.

Gah why don't people get this!
How can it's own blood be poisonous to itself? So it will die from it's own blood entering it's own bloodstream? In that case, we are all walking dead. :D
If dragons blood chews through things, and you would feed him his own blood. If you would drink your own blood you'd be sick too :p
(Just go along with it :V )

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
I guess that's down to the cast... some amazing actors are in the game.

But, as was also mentioned, the NPCs still seem stiff (Beth can't seem to get that straight sadly) so good voice acting will actually emphasise the notable lack of emotion in the characters.

I read somewhere that a good imagination is a boon for swallowing the dialogue, lucky for me. Yet it's easily overlooked with everything else on display, and at least there is more variety then in Oblivion (70~ voice actors lend their talents to skyrim).
Holy crap, that's 70 times the number of voice actors Oblivion had (excluding Sir Patrick, of course)! Awesome!

I found the miniscule number of voice actors in Oblivion far more detrimental to immersion than the stiff NPCs, or having conversations with them. I can overlook ugly polio sufferers, but I'm grabbing flamethrower if they, obviously a horde of clones possessed by alien parasites bent on world domination, all sound the same.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I love how there was an add for Skyrim before I could watch the video itself.

Jul 9, 2008
Steve Butts said:
Vault Citizen said:
Where did you get that really, really cool glowing, purple flame sword?
It's the Bound Sword, a Conjuration spell. It has the benefit of not taking up space in your inventory and some massively powerful perks once you get your Conjuration skill up to a high enough level.
Oh, that's really cool. I may actually use Bound Weapons this time around.

One other question: I gather that you didn't sneak too much, but did it seem like a viable option to you, or are there too many huge fights? Stealth is always sorta my thing (though it's good to know I won't be stuck on that path once I set off down it)

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
It's a nice upgrade from the generic daedric weapon conjurations =/
It actually -feels- ethereal.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
bliebblob said:
I'm curious, how did you decide who got to testplay the review copy? Office lottery? quake tournament? cagefights?
Funny. I can just imagine them playing rock, paper, scissors...

"Okay, 1, 2, 3 - I win"
"What the hell is that? Was that rock?"
"Chuck Norris. I win!"

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
By the way, if you find yourself in the reviewer's situation, and just can't get out of the room because of the companion, sprint into them. Yeah..it seems trivial but it took me a while to figure out :]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Cat of Doom said:
Zhukov said:
Five stars, eh?

So... about as good as Dragon Age 2 then?

Good to know.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Sorry, but that shit-stirring opportunity was too good to miss.
Ah, well seeing as DA2 was a brilliant game I should expect this to as well be amazing.
Chill. I actually quite liked DA2 as well. Just couldn't resist the a chance for a snide remark.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
bliebblob said:
Scheduling reviews is a tricky process, particularly during the "all hands on deck" period we go through each holiday season. The key considerations are 1) how familiar the reviewer is with the genre/franchise and its competition, and 2) whether or not they have the time and attention to meet the deadlines.

In the end, let's just say it's good to be the editor-in-chief.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Steve Butts said:
Vault Citizen said:
Where did you get that really, really cool glowing, purple flame sword?
It's the Bound Sword, a Conjuration spell. It has the benefit of not taking up space in your inventory and some massively powerful perks once you get your Conjuration skill up to a high enough level.

I am totally having that spell. I was going to go pure mage anyway so it's nice to know I can do that and still get decent melee abilities.

Also this;
I decided to take advantage of the situation by letting them weaken each other before creeping in and finishing them both off. Unfortunately, I moved in too soon and found myself in a three way fight between a handful of enemy wizards and one seriously pissed off dragon.
Quite possibly quote of the week.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Steve Butts said:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

Bethesda's latest is a true RPG epic that asks you what you want and then gives it to you.

Read Full Article
Oh man, the Scrolls game is finally out? Awesome!

Wait a minute... Where are the cards? I'm confused!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Cool review. Pretty much what I expected then. Still not sure if I'll get it tomorrow though - probably not. I still want to kick some ass in BF3, finish Dark Souls, and start training my puppy lol.