The Escapist Avatar Adventure: An Open RP (Now Re-Opened!)

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
[hr]
Reason to Rise
Anjali's Story
[hr]

Anjali stepped out into the arena with the other competitors. She had been quiet before while they were talking, not interested in posing or intimidating anyone else. The other puppeteer made her uneasy, true, but she tried to ignore this as best as she could. To find out what was going on with him would be for a different time.

As Garrote announced that they would be fighting him, together, Anjali stood at the ready, giving Astarte the command to defend whoever got attacked for. She did not want to go on the offensive yet. She barely glanced at the others, but responded to them regardless. "Anjali. My ssnake is Astarte. Can you use your puppet to sstand in the way of Garrote and distract him? Then we can attack him from the other ssides. But fight in the ssunlight, I think he likes that more."

While she was moving in position, however, she occasionally glanced at the other puppeteer, looking to see if he was following her suggestions or if he was doing something suspicious.

[hr]
The Rising Dawn: Server Farm
Mio
[hr]

"I mean, your existence could end completely! You could lose sunlight forever. Or whatever else you look at. Death could take you, and have you ever argued with Death? It's hard! All of this and more. Instead, you can do whatever you want to do ..." She trailed off. "Wait, you said 'Lord of Lies'? How can someone be calling himself that? That's very pretentious. It's like talking about lying all the time and then still expecting people to believe you!

Do you know where I can speak with that dude? Maybe I can ask him what he wants you to do. Or just kick his legs. Oh yeah, I kind of still need to know what you want."
She paused and waved a skeleton closer. "I'd also like a drink." she said to it, before dismissing it to serve her. "So, you can just relax, drink a bit of bone juice and lie down in the sun, let me handle things. After you have pointed me in the right direction, of course. I'm your captain, but I need to know things so I can help you."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
Code:
paradigm story end
[hr]

Nina looked conflicted, knowing that what they were saying was in fact true but still not believing she was really deserving of it. She'd only finished a long discussion of Miriam saying how she wasn't an infinite creator of unlimited power, for them to say the opposite was pretty laughable. But as the conversation continued and the promise of someone else helping her, Nina lamented that she really wasn't gonna be able to convince them. They weren't listening to her, so hopefully her new chest would protect her through the rest of this nightmare. "Fine..." She sighed, getting up from the table. "Alright, Miriam. I hope we can have a talk later, maybe have a real tea party with Phillip getting some practice? But if this is the last time I get to see you before you leave, it's been nice to meet you." Nina offered a hug for the little one before she moved onto the Mnemonyses.

Walking up to the two, Nina gave them a little wave, and stopped next to Mnemonyse jr."Is it alright if I sit down for a second?" She asked cerdiously, sitting down with her alter ego if allowed, but otherwise standing where she was.[footnote]If asked about her new look, she'd be honest and say she ate this magic bean that did it.[/footnote] "So this must be your mom? It's very nice to meet you Mnemonyse~" She greeted the woman before turning to the Mnemonyse she knew. "Well, we did it! Couldn't have done it without you." Nina smiled, playing a bit with her hair. "I've unfortunately been roped into helping to clean up someone else's messes, so I'm not really gonna be able to celebrate with you guys just yet." Nina said, putting her hands into her lap and squishing her chest a bit at the same time. "Maybe once I come back, we could go out and get some food or something? Not entirely sure what you both would like to do, but I'd like to have a proper visit." She said, eventually saying her goodbyes and offering a hand to shake and accepting any hugs the Mnemonyses' wanted to share.

Walking up to Faea's table, Nina wasn't entirely sure how to go about inserting herself into the conversation. Faea had only just been reunited with her long lost family after all, it certainly wasn't the most timely of things to do. Still she needed to talk with Faea more so than anyone else here in some respects. "Hey." Nina said, stooping down a bit so she was level with everyone in their seats at the table. "I'm really sorry I'm butting in here, but trust me it's important." She said to the spider family, looking across all the member's there before her eyes centered on Faea. "Looks like we made it, for better or worse, I couldn't have made it all this way without you. I really appreciate it Faea. I've got to go and take care of someone else's mess, but would it be too much of a trouble for you and your family to make me something?" Nina said as she reached into her dufflebag and with the magic of this universe she now wielded pulled out a large spool of thread.

The thread itself was something unlike any of the weavers had seen, visually it appeared to be like Death's dress but it had the properties of different imaginary materials like vibranium, adamantium and what Nina perceived her hair to be. Nina knew that creators like them would have a hard time to say no to the ability to create a one of a kind work. "I know it's a bit sudden, but this outfit's not gonna help me keep safe, and let me come back so that, I'dunno, we might be able to have a vacation on the beach or something?" Nina commented, not entirely sure if Faea'd accept such an offer but the fact that she was asking them of all people to make her an outfit to bring to the endgames. "I got other threads to use, but this should be the base. Sexy is fine, just please make it practical. Safety first for this one."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
The Rising Dawn: Living Areas
Hillary the Slime | David West | Jenny | Violet

Hillary watched the ceiling for a while longer before turning back to Jenny, her eyes wide and body vibrating slightly. "What did you..? Oh! Yes! Hillary will go now!" The Slime exclaimed. Clearly she hadn't heard what Jenny had said moments ago, but had managed to put two and two together to figure out it was her time to shine.

Peaking her head out of the door, Hillary checked to make sure the coast was clear, before making a swift motion towards Miia's bedroom. With Jenny's clever thinking, the path there was effortless but as Hillary tried to open the door she found the door locked. "Oh dear. Hmm..." The slime thought for a moment, considering her options until her vision turned downwards to the part of her pseudopod that had slipped underneath the door. "I should have enough..." She commented to herself before turning to Jenny. "Hillary will be right back." She said as she leaned down towards the door.

Hillary didn't have the means of adjusting her shape nor the experience to know exactly how she'd do this, but how hard could it be? Hillary forced her way through the lip underneath the door, initially just trying to squeeze herself through, but once she started making progress she tried to push on the door from the other side to help bring the rest of herself along. Surprisingly it was working, up until Hillary was about a third of the way through, at which point Jenny noticed something alarming. Hillary wasn't lemonade anymore!

Maybe it was all the extra effort, squeezing into the tight space, a laps in Hillary's concentration or a combination of many aspects; Jenny was now treated to the sight of a metallic looking leg from the thigh down as well as another foot from the ankle crushed underneath the door. At least she knew the Slime was unharmed by such a situation, but it was clear Hillary wasn't coming back the way she came.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
???
Code:
???'s story
[hr]

"..."

Rugal gazed deep into his wine glass as Blackharte explained himself, a somber expression on his face as he had to admit, he had a point.
"....Being honest, this was always the part of "Playing Hero" I hated. Knowing one day, you'll find some fresh horror or impossible choice to haunt your dreams. It's strange, I think little of the sadism I was known for but now I can't escape all the good deeds I needed to perform but didn't...Damn you for making me a part of this..."
Finishing his drink, he stood up and added "I don't doubt your logic, just even you can understand that growing up doesn't usually involve being assassinated. *Sigh* ...The worst part of is that she'll have no idea what's happening. Why I betrayed her..."

Turning back to the nanite swarm, he cracked his neck and said "...If I discover you were just using me as some pawn in some greater scheme, trust that you'll never know peace again. Even if you'll never die, I'll find a way to make your entire existence pain. I've faced gods and demons, all of whom thought themselves untouchable. But...What you are asking of me....I-....I'll do it. It'll be quick, it'll be painless. And when it is done, I wish to never see you again."

His grim speech spoken, the King of Fighters got ready to leave, deeply exhaling and preparing himself for the terrible deed.
Walk up. A Slashing Aura stab to the back of the neck. Sever the connections. Instant lost of brain and bodily function. It wasn't often he found himself dreading the act of murder but like all things in life, he would overcome it. He had to.

"...She's a good girl, you know. Kind, brave. Wise beyond her years. I'm telling myself I'm doing this for her sake. Whatever life she might have after this: You treat her right, not like you've done so before. Growing up also involves letting your children go. Holding onto them too much is what allows those like Kyuubey to steal them..."

"...Lets get this over with..."

NotYetForsaken

Power in Procedure
Sep 27, 2010
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
story of dusk
[hr]

Yona finished her breakfast platter and placed her knife and fork down on her plate. The blond-haired planeswalker shook Nina's hand gently, "And it is very nice to meet you, Nina. I'm glad that you were there to be Violet's friend."

"And don't think you're rid of me yet. Anazorzia is where I was raised, but I belong to the Rising Dawn."

"It is good to see that your father has not perverted your strong sense of right and wrong."

Mnemosyne smiled, there was a welling of small tears in her eyes. When Nina moved to Faea's table, the weaver family turned to greet her warmly. The oldest of the group was a tall and handsome woman with thin almond-shaped eyes. Her hair was raven black, woven expertly in gentle cascading ringlets down the sides of her face.

She held out her hand to Nina, "Pleasure to meet you. My name is Drizzle, I am the matriarch of the tribe to which Faea once belonged. It would be an honor to weave for you a dress worthy of your coming trial." She bowed and the rest of the weaver clan bowed as well. They were all women and varied in appearance as there were stars in the sky. Each of them had a small spider that clung to them either as hair decorations or as the centerpiece of a set of jewelry.

"Thank you Nina," Faea said between small breaths for air. The tears were still fresh on her cheeks and Issem was scuttling around the table greeting the spiders of the other weavers.

"Before Faea inherited the title of Arachne, the post belonged to me." Drizzle spread her fingers and the threads that formed between them glittered like spun diamonds. Brilliant beams of prismatic like danced against the jewels and metals on her wrists and dress. "We are children of the Earth and Water - blessed with both natural acuity and a natural yearning for synthesis. Your dress will be as strong as the citadel-trees and as flexible as the vapor seas."

And the dress they made was stunning. A deep mantle made of interwoven lapels flowed down Nina's back, letting her blonde hair float over the dark fabric like rays of light. Below a thick scaled weave hugged her body like a second skin, the smooth surface broken by ringlets of gold and silver. A half-skirt hung down from the swell of her hips and reached up her navel to the halter weave around her shoulders that kept the entire dress taut. Faea herself wove a golden broach and set the lapis gemstone within, setting it on Nina just over her heart.

Yona stood up and tapped Vihaan who had just started to eat his own breakfast, now that it had grown quite cold and greasy.

"What is it?" the admiral asked.

"Nina, hurry up. We have to be somewhere else very soon. The binding around another Labyrinth has just collapsed enough for us to break in. Grab Philip and let's go."

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Reason to Rise
anjali's story
[hr]

Chimes smiled and nodded. He held out his hand and the controller on his gloves roared to life, sending magical lights fluttering to all corners of the room. Anjali could see the ethereal strings resonating under the limits of visible light pull his armored puppet forward into a sprint toward Garrote.

"YES! SHOW ME YOUR WILLS!" Garrote roared as he jumped off of his high perch. He twisted his body and spun his obelisk around, bringing it down hard on top of Harnis. The puppet caught it, but the kinetic impact forced him deep into the sand, kicking a thick cloud of it into the air around them. Then the sand began to fall sideways into the large black columns that were standing around the arena. In a matter of moments the combatants were engulfed in a sandstorm. The light from the fake sun refracted between the tiny crystals in the air, sending a kaleidoscope of light to all corners.

"I can't see anything in this garbage!" Krisk screamed out as he dashed away to cover behind one of the black pillars.

Wait! Came a voice. It was Emil, he was using telepathy to speak. Anjali turned around and saw the mind mage had wrapped his face in the thick blue cloth of his robe to protect himself from the sand.

Chimes tutted and took a long hop backwards, pulling against the invisible strings that connected him to Harnis. The metal bells on his robe were clanging madly against each other in the accelerating sandstorm.

"You must be prepared to fight in ever changing environmental conditions as a delver, for the Roil itself is fighting to keep the secrets of Amaranthia from you!" Garrote swung his obelisk at Harnis and caught the armored puppet in the chest, launching it out of the sand and into the air. Garrote tossed his obelisk after it and ran headfirst into one of the black pillars before appearing out of his obelisk in a bright blue flash and suplexing the puppet back into the sand. He reached out and caught his obelisk as it fell to the earth after him.

"There will also be many unknowns! The relics of the Crimson Congregation are not all dormant. Some will seek you out to destroy you, be prepared for the most unpredictable of surprises!"

Krisk run! Emil shouted. The small rogue dashed out of his hiding place as a lance appeared in a flash of blue light, embedding itself in the wall across from where Krisk had been taking shelter from the sand.

"What in the hell was that!?"

I can sense people in the pillars... but they keep moving. Those things must be the same material that the city waypoint system is built out of! Be careful, Garrote's controlling the in-outs of those things!

"You've got to be kidding me!"

Chimes spun around and pulled Harnis out of the sand with a flourish of his fingers. He set the white golem down besides him, his smiling mask concealing any emotions that might have been flowing through his head. The invisible strings retethered themselves between the pillars.

"Snake girl, Harnis isn't going to be able to match him in a show of strength. We'll need a different plan."

Garrote laughed raucously. "Of course not! I am the STRONGEST THERE IS!"

[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
rugal's story
[hr]

Rugal found himself back in his body, still rippling with the dark energies drained from his formidable alter-ego. The scene had not changed - BlackHarte must have swallowed him and conversed with him in less time than he needed to blink. The box in Livia's hands had cracked down the middle and golden light was spilling out like an unstoppable torrent.

Julia stood us, Kyuubey perched on her shoulder. She drew her hand back and summoned a lance out of ice. "Ice spear!" she screamed out as she clenched her hand. The ice in her hand compacted as she screamed again, "Ice spear!" Then again, and again. Each time Julia cast her spell, the ice in her hand compacted more until what she was holding was barely even recognizable as ice - instead it had begun to take on a metallic sheen. Her hand was starting to turn black from the strain of holding onto something so impossibly cold and high-energy at the same time.

"I'm sorry Livia, I really am..." Julia said as she grit her teeth and turned her body to throw, "GLACIES ULTIMA - FROSTBITE LANCE!" As the spear of sheer cold left her hands, Julia's gemstone turned black and she fell over off her perch on the temple roof - her eyes blank and body limp. Her entire right arm was covered in chaotic frost blossoms swallowed by a larger block of frozen rain. The spear in flight radiated cold that turned the rain solid as they fell, leaving needles of ice in it's wake.

Livia turned and shielded the box with her body instinctively. Rugal felt his muscles spring to action - but what was it that he was to do?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
The Rising Dawn: Canteen
Mio | Leoric
[hr]

Leoric was already into his 3rd bottle but thankfully one of his minions started to man the bar seeing how the battle of Mount Condiments with the canteen imps seemed to have ended in a ceasefire now their king was drowning his sorrows.
"I-...I don't know who or what has done this to me. It all started after this vessel arrived at Cloudtop Citadel. Ever since that flash, I've been reliving the same day over and over. Everytime I believe I'm getting close to breaking the spell, I wake up and it all starts over again. I've burned this ship, I've cleansed it of life, I've tried everything! BUT NOTHING FUCKING WORKS!" The Skeleton King barked, slamming his mace down into the tiles in frustration.

"I-i-i-i don't even know if it IS demonic magic or not! But it has to be, right?! What other beings can turn time itself into a prison?! I don't know any, do you!? And Death has long since forsaken me since I purged Diablo from my soul but-...I-i-i-i don't-....I can't-..."
Despite his imposing stature and his minions, it was quickly becoming clear that Leoric wasn't that much of a bad person. If she was stuck in a time loop, how long until she would just try killing everyone she saw in order to break free or just cure her boredom?
Her advice seemed to have sunk in as slowly but surely, his forces begun to stand down, namely because their King couldn't punish them if he was drunk off his ass (well, he could but he wouldn't be nearly as good at it).
He slowly retreated to a quiet corner and all but crumbled into a seat, rambling like a elder off their medication as the exhaustion of 20+ Military Campaigns against the Dawn took over.
".....I couldn't stop it then....I-....I can't stop if now..."

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
The Rising Dawn: Living Areas
Hillary the Slime | David West | Jenny | Violet

"Hillary? You alright? Come on, we don't know how long they-...will...."

The Gardevoir trailed off as she noticed the trouble her friend was having getting past the door, prompting a slight sigh.
"Okay, I think I see what the problem is...Uhhh....Hm...." She remarked before attempting to open the door manually, finding it stuck even without Hillary jammed underneath it.
"Damn it...Alright, hold on, this-...this might hurt a little..." She added before using some of her psionic powers to "Push" the rest of her leg though the door.
She was already pretty worn out so blasting the metal door was out of the question, thus was the next best thing.
Several Reflect Barriers and some invisible hands then started to push on Hillary's leg, a strange conflicting motion of both trying to stuff it though the gap but at the same time trying not to "Hurt" the slime too much.

"Grrrh...Why couldn't you bond to the carpet or something instead?!" She grunted from exertion before finally breaking through, bending the door a little as she did.
Sitting down against the size of the hall, Jenny caught her breath before adding "A-alright...I'll be here. I'll try to contact you mentally if I can."
As for the room Hillary found herself in, it was-...different to what she was expecting.
While a lot of the rooms on the ship were designed like cruise ship bedrooms, this one was more like some bastard child of luxury and a bombed out storeroom [https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/6/60/Storage_building_int1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120901000716].
Rusted Metal, empty lead chambers, various household objects in varying states of disrepair, weapons that were primitive, weapons that were advanced and even weapons that somehow managed to be both.
There was a bed and an en suite here but clearly this wasn't the room she was looking for.

She didn't know it yet but she had found the old room of one "Wanderer", a refugee from a world burned by nuclear fire.
And in David's words: "The most insane son of a ***** I ever worked with."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
Story of Dusk
[hr]

Wordlessly, Nina gave Mnemonyse a thumbs up as she left, looking forward to spending an afternoon with her when this was all over. Maybe watch a movie, a spa day, maybe even get their hair done perhaps? Regardless, her mother's kind words causing Nina to have an extra spring in her step as she came to the Weaver's.

"Thanks a lot Drizzle, love what you've done with your hair." Nina nodded, reaching out to accept Drizzle's hand and gave her a confident, respectful handshake. Greeting each in turn, Nina took a moment to grab a napkin from the table and hand it to Issem. "You should really help out your partner there, it looks like she needs it." Nina whispered to the little spider, while she listened to Drizzle, and smiled as the Drizzle offered her services.

Nina made sure to restrict her current dress and her hat from Drizzle's unraveling effects. She'd learned from before not to leave it to chance, so when Drizzle worked on her dress, the old one wasn't destroyed but unraveled into a ball that she slipped into her dufflebag. There was no way in hell she'd allow such a masterpiece to be torn away so nonchalantly, so instead she reworked the outfit to be able to reweave itself over the wearer on command.

Not that Nina had much time to pat herself on the back for her quick thinking, Drizzle's new dress had grabbed Nina's attention like coiling tendril's around her body. The lapels, ringlets, revealing skirt and not to mention the material hugging her new curves so completely. Nina couldn't help it as a flash of red came across her face while she bit her lip. She had never felt so sexy and desirable, and as Faea set the broach down on her chest Nina grabbed her and gave her a loving squeeze.

"Sorry, I know you're not keen on this, but I kinda need this." Nina whispered into Faea's ear, her heart fluttering as a mix of emotions danced in her mind. Fear, happiness, empathy, relief, concern, erotic; Nina was starting to realize she really was gonna be doing this, and was getting a bit emotional herself. "So when I get back, we'll have Phillip make us some Vegan food, get some sexy looking guys, and share some stories or something?" Nina requested, hugging Faea for a little while longer before letting go and putting on a brave face.

"Alright! Alright! Keep your pants on, Jesus!" She shouted back to Yona as the agent called out to her. "Have fun with them, you need to make up for lost time." Nina spoke quietly to Faea before letting go of her and heading towards the kitchen. 'Nina, hurry up. Nina, clean up my mess. Nina, wipe my rear end.' Nina sighed, passing the two on the way.

To her surprise, Phillip was sitting just outside the kitchen doors once Nina rounded the corner. "Phillip? What are you doing out here?" She craned her neck just enough to see Phillip had some tendrils still inside the kitchen. "We are leaving soon and you are far too loud and emotional now to be in there." Phillip said matter of factly. "W-What!? I'm not loud and emotional!" Nina shouted, to which through Phillip's silence she reconsidered. "F-Fine... But what are you still doing in there? We gotta go." Nina asked as she tried to peek through the gap in the door only for Miriam's Colours to come out as well.

All of them were whispering to each other, looking a little disappointed like they knew Phillip needed to go. The quality of Phillip's work was like equal to their's if perhaps under but it was clear that his insight into what people needed and the terror that was having an army in the kitchen would surely be missed. "The souffle is out. Last dishes are plated. Table 5 will need one of the brownie deserts by the time they're done. Don't deflate my souffle." Phillip commented, emphasizing the last part as he scuttled past Nina towards the exit. "Wait, Phillip? You did say goodbye to them right? It's not right just to leave them like that." to which Phillip paused, his tendrils shifting and churning before pivoting with a glint in his inner folds. "It was... enjoyable to cook with you all. I expect more when I return." He said before continuing to move towards the exit.

Although not the best farewell, Nina nodded acceptingly. It had been adequate and Nina couldn't complain that Phillip had at least tried. Taking a moment, she gave the Colours a hug, trying to get them all in as much as she could. "Alright you guys, play nice. Don't go mucking up things while I'm gone right?" Nina joked with a smile. "When I get back, we'll have a nice long chat about how to write a good, spicy romance, for those who want to obviously." She said before she too headed towards the door.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
rugal's story
[hr]

Julia answered that question easily enough.

There was a lot on his mind right now but as the young woman attacked, 2 things quickly became his main focus:

1). Julia herself was most likely just another vessel for Kyuubey's schemes and the last thing he wanted was to try and "Save" one girl's life only for another's to be doomed right in front of him

2). Part of him Really wanted back at her for that stunt she pulled before when she stole the daggers.

Quickly dropping his original mission to defeat the "Monster", he dashed between Livia and the incoming hail as crimson energy flowed from his form.
He then attempted to "Cancel" out the projectile with one of his one, or rather several of them.
Shouting in exertion, he started to flood the skies above with raw ki energy, firing it out like a flak cannon as the orbs hung in the air.
Each time a shard of ice connected with one, it would explode violently in a display not unlike fireworks
The spear itself would be a bit harder to deal with but right as it was about to hit it's mark, he stood in its path as he attempted to strike it.
His slashing aura shined like a spotlight, even among the rest of the attacks lighting up the darkened sky, as he stuck it's tip with his fist.
A combination of the projectile's momentum and his own heavy straight allowed him to plow through the spear as it flew through the air.
From Livia's point of view, two walls of ice raced flanked her on both sides as Julia's attack was split vertically right down the middle, both massive halfs thundering across the landscape until they came to rest.

"Even now you hide behind your slaves to do your bidding for you. I was never a good man but at least I fought my own battles. Release Julia from your schemes. I will not ask again." He merely demanded as he stood between him and Livia.
"It's a stalemate. Your puppets can't kill me and as much as it pains me to say it, I can never kill enough of you. So surrender and leave this place. Their fate isn't yours to command, not anymore."

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
rugal's story
[hr]

The splintered ice spear crashed into the city behind Rugal, sending a wave of icy wind washing over all of Rome. Huge pillars of ice covered the area behind Rugal, their chaotic crystalline forms reached up toward the sky like swords. People and animals were locked inside of the frozen prison, the surprise on their faces held in place by the binding spell.

Snow started to fall from the sky.

Kyuubey swept his tail against the ground. He spoke through an emotionless face - red eyes in unbroken gaze and an unchanging cat's smile, "Do what you wish, Rugal Bernstein, it is clear to me that there is no reasoning with you. You do whatever you wish, without thought to the consequences, hoping that you can remedy your mistakes afterwards." Kyuubey turned around and padded away. "It is far more prudent not to be needlessly reckless."

Soon his small figure vanished amidst the snowfall.

Julia's body lay still some distance away, the fall from the temple roof had broken her neck and twisted her arm from its socket among other things. Blood trickled out of her open mouth as the tears on her face froze in the sorcerous winter. Her gem lay shattered on the floor collecting snow. The pieces of the jewel were a dull black, drained of any and all life.

Rugal felt a warmth from behind him. A ray of light had cut through BlackHarte's storm clouds and fell upon Livia and the stone vessel. It was daybreak. The sunlight cast away the darkness and set a warmth cascading over the mountains and plain, the buildings and streets, the crystal towers and the snow cover.

"Mater?"

Serra took a step outside of Rugal's body, her body materialized in the wake of both the sunlight and the energies spilling out of the stone vessel. Between the artifact in Livia's hands, the blades resonating in the sunlight, and Serra's return, the light grew to a brilliant intensity - casting it's golden dominion across all of Rome. And it grew stronger and stronger in strength the more the stone vessel faltered.

"You would know me though you have never seen my face?" Serra asked. Though her body was filled with light, her voice and demeanor were cold and distant. She held herself in a way that demonstrated her overwhelming confidence and inevitability, not unlike the brilliant star from which she had taken her epitaph.

Livia's gemstone was pure black - a pit of darkness in a world now otherwise overflowing with light.

"Such sentimentality is unnecessary." Serra bent down and picked up the stone knives, her knives and held them up to the sun. In an instant the sunlight was everywhere, radiating from every living thing. The heat from the light melted the stone and grew from each other, consuming each other over and over until there was nothing but a simple agonizing homogeneity. After gathering the energy of the land in the blades, she brought it down on the stone vessel. Rivers of light, thick as honey, flowed forth from the stone and encapsulated the vessel. The light filled the gaps from which it's prisoner was trying to break free. "Problem solved."

"Hardly." Came another voice. There was a dark figure taking shelter from the overbearing light in the shade of a fallen piece of crystal ice. The tall and ancient form could only belong to one person.

"Publius." Serra said matter-of-factly as she ignored Rugal and Livia and took several steps toward the old man.

"Puella Magi Serra," Publius answered, tucking his hands deep inside of his long black sleeves. "Or do you prefer the name that you were gifted?"

Serra swung with her dagger and a blade of wind fell from the sky, tearing apart the ice and stone where Publius was standing.

Publius stepped out from under the rubble of the temple opposite to Serra. "Gaea's Wrath, Helios' Lance, the White Witch..." Publius said each of Serra's epitaphs one-by-one as he side-stepped more of Serra's attacks. Her movements were mild, and reserved, a shift of her weight, a flick of her knives, but the windstorm she summoned with each motion tore what ground was left apart like putty.

"The Hero Princess of Rome..."

Serra's face twitched in anger, a relentless flurry of wind fell upon Publius like an artillery barrage. The impacts echoed in both the air and the earth, raining small bits of stone and earth down on Rugal and Livia.

"Serra, the Rising Dawn."

"Brave words coming from a nameless man who can only exist in the shadows." Serra sneered. "The night is over and my strength has returned to me. Your tricks are worthless. Now leave this place and never return."

Livia sat awestruck, hands holding the stone vessel so tight that her fingers and knuckles were white.

"Yes, yes, you are perfect, the most perfect. Infallible, really." Publius said. "It is our fortune that you have arrived to fix everything for everyone. The conflict is resolved through your incredible show of strength and prowess." Publius held up his hand sarcastically, "Really, we should leave everything to you, Serra, the most important, beautiful, and strongest of the Puella Magi. I am collapsed in the might of your presence, woe, allow me to worship the ground upon which you walk. Oh, I have an idea, let's make you our leader since you are so capable in your infinite wisdom. Yes, yes, you can lead all of Rome, nay all of humankind into a new golden age with that power of yours. After all, no one can challenge you when you are channeling the strength of the Sun."

Serra stopped attacking, but her steely gaze never left Publius as the man moved between the shadows.

"You are a venerable God, Serra. Because you always win. Even in defeat, even in death, you persevere. The very laws of our world must bend to suit your presence. Because you are so incredibly special." Publius shook his head, speaking honestly during the brief respite he had earned himself, "You always act like you're the hero of the story... You are so irresponsible. Look at your daughter, sitting there, this is the first time she's ever seen you, and you focus more on flexing your strength. And you call yourself a mother... you selfish, terrible child."

"How dare you insult me so casually!" Serra roared. She raised her blade into the air, collecting the gleam of sunlight...

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
rugal's story
[hr]

"...N-no...."

Upon realizing the death he inflicted on the city by his poor choice in actions, Rugal felt-....broken and defeated.
He felt sick to this stomach as he could imagine the taunting of his dark past right now, he might have been purged but it was clear he would never escape his legacy.

It was never as simple as it used to be, the Hero would show up, they would fight, one would win and that would be the end of that.
But now as Livia's mother seemed to return from the grave right, fighting a roman official as her daughter was about to be "Reborn" against Blackharte's wishes while Julia laid dead before him, it was clear this wouldn't be the case.
Hesitation filled him for a moment, least until it was clear what he had to do.

When Serra went to bring down her blade upon her opponent, it was halted by Rugal's meddling.
Despite her efforts, he was able to hold her wrist in place mid-swing in an attempt to stay her wrath.
"Go. Livia needs you right now. She needs her mother. I know you might not trust me, but could be the very last time you'll have this chance. Don't throw it away for the sake of glory. I've been down that route before. Forcing the laws of man and nature into mere paving stone at my feet. It's. Not. Worth. It." He calmly explained before releasing his grip.

".....It's not how any ruler should act...It's not how I should have acted..." He meekly said before gazing out at the ruined city before him.
Replaying that moment in his mind, it was clear he was at fault.
For all his attempts to be a force for good, all he could seem to do was bring ruin to friend and foe.
So many people, so many families, all dead because of him. And he felt no closer to bringing an end to any of this.
His hand trembled as he gazed on, slowly turning to Livia and hesitating, unsure if he should even attempt to do anything more.
He brought enough destruction to the world...

BlackHarte

the Heart of Darkness
Nov 30, 2014
[hr]
Right to Rule
Code:
rugal's story
[hr]

Serra turned around and glared at Rugal, eyes full of scorn. The light burst forth from her dagger, carving deep scars of flame into everything that the golden rays touched. "You speak worthless words!" Serra struggled against Rugal's grip, trying to break free, but her strength was no match for that of Rugal's. "What use is a girl that I have never met? Someone who has not even the strength to carry my legacy? A girl who had the audacity to take months from my life and has given me nothing in return"

Publius looked on from within the shadow of a fallen column, his old leathery face wore a wry smile. "Although Serra may have given birth to Livia, it would be a stretch to call her Livia's 'mother'. This girl lost none of her maternal instincts when she gave herself over to magic."

Serra screamed in frustration.

"You can call someone your child, but you cannot force them to call you their mother," Publius continued in his quiet and dry voice. "You can call someone your subjects, but you cannot force them to call you their king. It is impossible not to notice such a poetic parallel."

"You are all vermin! Blights upon the blessed land! Disappear!" Serra screamed and raised the other dagger so that it caught one of the rays refracting off of the blade that Rugal held in place. The sunlight from the second ray was far more erratic and chaotic than the first. The crystal lattice of the focusing stones stuttered as they try to process the light into a more stable beam, but it eventually failed. The beams dimmed and the knives grew dark.

At some point during the struggle between titanic powers, Livia had worked her way up to where Rugal and Serra were standing. The stone vessel was tucked under one arm. The sunlight glimmered off of the jewelry on her body. The gemstone in her hair was black as jet.

"Is this how you always were?" Livia asked softly.

"What kind of a question is that?" Serra replied angrily.

"All of those stories of you from papa... from grandma and grandpa, from the priests and the priestesses... There's no way that the woman in those stories are you... is there? There's no way that you're really Serra... right?"

"Don't be stupid. I am Serra, I am the only person in this world that could possibly be Serra."

"Heroes are often disappointing in real life." Publius stalked into Livia's shadow and put his hands on the young woman's shoulders. "A fact true both in this world, and the world beyond."

Livia was silent. Her expression was grim, but neither angry nor sad, it was an nonplussed disappointment that existed only with utter disillusionment. It was as if all of her world had come crashing down around her. She had no family, no retainers, no heroes, and no identity. Somehow the outworlder that she tolerated was the last person left to her... and she had no idea if this man was a devil, or merely recklessly stupid.

"Leave the box girl, and flee this city. I will come find you after order is restored." Serra ordered, jerking her head toward the direction of the rising sun. "Do that, and at least I will be able to form you into some sort of useful warrior."

"Say... what's in this box anyway? Why does everyone care so much about it?"

Serra was taken aback. "An evil far greater than any other in the land."

Publius leaned down next to her ear and whispered.

"Don't listen to that demon!" Serra roared.

Livia was pensive again. She held onto that stone box and stared into the rays of the sun behind Serra and Rugal. "What makes a ruler anyway? Are they born with the blessing of the gods? Are they forged from the trials of hardship? Or are they taught by great scholars? Is it selfless men who make great leaders, or is it the nature of the office that draw great selfless men?"

Publius took several steps back and bowed his head.

"Or is it truly only a matter of strength? Is the greatest king the strongest man, whose strength bows the heads of lesser men from sea to sea? Is it wealth, or amicability, or intelligence and martial prowess?" Livia took the box in both hands and held it before Serra. "Of all the people I have seen in my short life, I have witnessed each and every nature of mankind, mother. From my father's weakness to your strength. I have been betwixt the politicking prowess of Marcus Aurelius and the studiousness of Valerius. I have listened to Cicero's speeches and the curt commands of Caesar. I have listened to the teachings of nature from Veles and the wonders of the civilized Gods from Dionysius. Whether it is the logic of philosophers or the emotion driven morals of barbarians, it is clear of the need of rulers. Yet, all of humankind loathes being controlled. It is from this nature that we desire strength."

"What are you getting at girl?" Serra glared at her daughter, her own icy blue eyes a world away from the deep fiery cerulean of her daughter's.

"That I would see for myself what it is that was sealed away so long ago by our grandmother's grandmother. The lesson that God had tried to impart upon us." Livia held up the box so that it was in the direct sunlight. The black vessel shimmered as if galvanized. "This is the box that Zeus gifted to Pandora in the Age of the First Kings, is it not?"

Serra stared on in angry silence.

"I had wondered why this vessel was of such importance. But, now I know. If I open this world, all of mankind will once again face the judgement of the gods, isn't that right?"

"To open that box is to end humanity." Serra answered. "The gods are cruel, pitiless monsters that lie in their heavenly realms. They find enjoyment in human suffering. It is only through the ascension of humankind through strength that we will be free of such tragic bondage."

"What makes the gods our gods? Are they just demons for which we have decided to call upon in our times of need? Are they the strongest and the smartest, the most athletic and the most skilled? Are they gods because they are the oldest and the wisest, or are they beings without fault?" Livia smiled. "No. The gods are as imperfect as us, and yet we put our trust in them to lead us to better days and to protect us from the darkness. From their seat on Olympus to the iron thrones in the Underworld, we put ourselves in their care knowing that they look out for us."

"We the people give the gods their right to rule, and it is the people that ought to give us the right to rule. Power is a gift, not a prize. And just as the gods err, so do we, and just as we can learn to forgive, so can the gods." Livia took a step closer. "Right, mama?"

Livia collapsed to the ground. Her head severed from her body, her black gemstone cleaved in twain. Serra's strike was so fast that Rugal didn't even notice that she pulled the second dagger out of it's anchoring weave. The droplets of blood hung in the silent air like rubies. The light of the sun made them shine.

The box hit the frozen floor with a dull thud.

"What worthless prattle," Serra grimaced, "I knew Gaius was the better child."

Publius picked up Livia's head in his old and weathered hands. His eyes were full of sadness. "What an unfortunate turn of events. This time we were so close, so very close."

[hr]
Bad End
[hr]

Before Rugal could process anything that happened, he found himself standing in a grey world, swallowed by darkness. A cold sun lingered high in a cloudless sky, casting it's lethargic illumination down on a colorless Rome. The signs of battle were no longer, and the entities that he had been holding onto had vanished. Though he tried to remember their names, he could materialize the sounds in his head.

The old man, Publius, that he could still remember, was standing some distance away from him. He held a small item in his hands, the only glimmer of color in the cold, dead world around them.

NotYetForsaken

Power in Procedure
Sep 27, 2010
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
Story of Dusk
[hr]

Vihaan leaned back into the captain's seat. It was far more uncomfortable than he would have liked. The aluminum was cold and the edges were far too sharp for him to lean into. Controls and terminals covered the left armrest and forced to to awkwardly keep to his right.

Nina was sitting at the front of the bridge gazing out of the front facing windows into the terminal darkness that was the sea between worlds. An utter and infinite darkness that spoke to only the most unknowable of monsters. Perhaps she could see something with her eyes that he couldn't. It irked Vihaan a little bit to know that a woman might had such a gift, but he swallowed that small hurt to his pride as a mage priest.

"Nina, Philip," The bridge doors slid open as Yona stepped through. She had switched out of her exploratory suit and back into the unbuttoned shirt and jacket mockery of a uniform of 121st Engineering Division.

The tentacle monster was the first to turn, but he had been wordless since leaving the realm of that painter girl.

"We're about to breach into the Labyrinth. Please secure yourselves for the oncoming turbulence."

Vihaan sat up and yawned. It had only been half a day since they had left the other world, and now they were already approaching the next. Either these two planes were uncharacteristically close together or the entire universe was getting smaller and smaller. He had a terrible feeling he knew which was more likely.

Yona sat down in at the navigation table and buckled herself into the seat there. Ensign Tolstad handed the Colonel a tablet with several charts on it. Vihaan couldn't be bothered to look into it to hard. He had already spent enough energy putting together the Desire Drive interplanar engine for the Inquiry and now he was fully committed to being the acting admiral of the exploratory vessel. Yet, hadn't Yona taken over all of his duties since they left the world they knew behind when the localized anomaly at the Rising Dawn tore the fabric of space time to shreds.

The Inquiry shook suddenly as the darkness outside bent and stuttered, flickering in and out between light and dark until suddenly with a lurch that nearly threw Vihaan out of his chair, they were in an cold empty world.

The sun was shining, but it did not move. The light was dim and grey against a cloudless sky. Below them was a lifeless city bathed in deathly silence. Vihaan undid his harness and stood up, his heart filled with disbelief as he recognized the unique layout of the hills and buildings, "This is Rome!"

"Breach completed," Ensign Tolstad reported, "engine is stable, hover thrusters are stable. Atmosphere conditions normal, gravitational conditions are normal. Environmental conditions are also stable. Shall we begin landing procedures?"

"Hold on," Vihaan said suddenly, snapping his fingers anxiously, "run a life-signature scan. There's still magic in the air, I can feel it."

Tolstad ran her fingers over the console. She raised her eyebrows, "Two life signatures detected. One belongs to a Hero, Rugal Bernstein, the other is an unknown entity."

"I knew it!" Vihaan clapped his hands. Honestly, he was just glad that he was still relevant to the operation. "Nina, Philip, let's go! Rugal's still alive down there!"

---​

The world was ashen as the dropship let them down some distance away in the plaza that Rugal was standing. The atmosphere in the immediate area was stiff as the massive Captain of the Rising Dawn stood opposite of an deathly old man holding a small gem in his hand.

"It's a shame," the old man said as he played with the gem in his hands, "I was so sure that this world was going to last forever. It's too bad, really too bad. Well, it's nobody's fault really. All dreams had to end one way or another, but this was rather abrupt. Lacking in closure. Somehow deeply unsatisfying." He shrugged and tossed Rugal the gemstone.

"You've won! Congratulations outworlder! You are free!" The old man smiled at Rugal. "Your friends are here. Go. It is too late for this place. You still have your own world to save. I'll stay here and wait. Eventually life will start again, and a new dream will begin, but not for aeons still."

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
Story of Dusk
[hr]

In that half day's time, Nina had done her best to try and be a gracious guest in the Inquiry. It was actually pretty impressive, not the small tin can she had imagined it to be, relieved that they hadn't been utterly crampt in it for those two years. She didn't know how to do anything meaningful to help the ship, but she did try to help the crew. Doing anyone's nails that were willing, showing off her work, and setting up a little party of sorts for Phillip to cater, things to boost the crew's spirits more than just existing.

At first Nina appeared to be quite confident, not prideful, but the extra curves definitely helped her self confidence. This however changed as time went on, as the crew was largely affected negatively by Phillip's sheer presence. The crew being too polite to complain about Phillip's aura of influence meant Nina was at a loss for why they'd act evasive at times in her presence. Trying to rectify this, Nina came to the incorrect conclusion her new look was to blame, that she was showing off too much or something. Realizing this, she tried to hold off on outward displays of her new figure, much to Phillip's own enjoyment, and when Phillip went off on his own to prepare for the party, she concluded that maybe she'd figured it out.

As they neared their destination and Nina sat at the front of the ship, she was deep in thought, considering what had happened in that day's time, what had happened since that morning the day before. It was insane to think just how far she'd come in that little time. It was like she was in... one of those shows, those isa somethings. Letting out a heavy sigh, she turned to the deep void outside and commented

[HEADING=2]
"I thought stars weren't supposed to twinkle in space?"
[/HEADING]

A rather innocent comment at face value, but as it echoed through Vihaan's mind he would start to realize just how irksome Nina's abilities might be while he ordered for everyone to prepare for the breach. Nina quickly pulled herself away from the window, picked up Phillip and rushed over to two waiting chairs. She first buckled Phillip, making sure he was secure before sitting down herself, only for Phillip to slink his way out anyways.

Nina was left realing after the shaky entry, trying to play off the fact she'd just had her first involuntary boob jiggle. She'd forgotten how that sort of thing felt by any degree let alone this, so as Vihaan and the crew dealt with ship status Nina dealt with catching her breath. It wasn't until Rugal was confirmed to be alive that Nina pulled her crossed arms away from her chest, letting out a weak "Yeah!" Phillip merely moved over to the window and resulted in Nina looking around at the people there just to see if anyone heard him.

Once they had landed, Rugal immediately felt Phillip's aura hit him, that familiar presence of anxiousness he'd experienced before at the party. It likely wasn't the best feeling, but in a strange way knowing that someone from the Rising Dawn was there hopefully helped ease the feeling. It wouldn't take long for Nina to make her way to the plaza either while Phillip rode on her shoulder. If she caught him with his back turned, she'd demand what had happened, why the city was in ruins with the captain being the one here. If however she saw him and recognized that look he had first, she'd ask far more calmly, realizing that he was already slamming himself far more than she ever could.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
Right to Ruins
Code:
Rugal's story
[hr]

The first thing that hit Rugal was an intense wave of denial.
"no....Nononono-NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" He began to scream as he paced around for a moment, frantically glancing around at the world he had failed (in his mind) to save.
Gripping his hair and gritting his teeth, he looked lost and confused as the reality slowly sunk in: This world was no more.
Ash and flaky dirt was all that was left, no more rulers, so more subjects, no more-...anything.
His eyes watered as he fell onto his knees, glaring at the ground before striking it in fury while taking ragged panicked breaths.
Even the apparent "Death" of his darker soul was little comfort in the face of such ruin as he slowly attempted to compose himself, slowly rolling onto his back and gazing up at the stale sun above him.
He sat silently for some time while Publius attempted to make conversation.

"It's a shame," the old man said as he played with the gem in his hands, "I was so sure that this world was going to last forever. It's too bad, really too bad. Well, it's nobody's fault really. All dreams had to end one way or another, but this was rather abrupt. Lacking in closure. Somehow deeply unsatisfying." He shrugged and tossed Rugal the gemstone.
It was only now that Rugal started to notice the dropship landing nearby, noticing it's markings matching that of the Rising Dawn's.

"You've won! Congratulations outworlder! You are free!" The old man smiled at Rugal. "Your friends are here. Go. It is too late for this place. You still have your own world to save. I'll stay here and wait. Eventually life will start again, and a new dream will begin, but not for aeons still."

"...This is not a victory to congratulate. Don't mock me with it." He coldly said as he began to walk towards the dropship, leaving the dead world behind him.
Despite the fact they were his rescue party, Rugal didn't seem very-...chatty as he meekly walked up the ramp and into the transport, not muttering a word to anyone.
Walking past Vihaan, he took his seat before staring intensely at the gemstone, the only trace left of the people he perceived to have failed.
Clenching his fist around it slightly, he finally put it in his pocket before rubbing his face and letting out a sigh.
"...Take us home. There's nothing left here." He ordered as he realized something: This was a space faring vessel.

Rugal had Astrophobia.

"...Perfect end to a perfect day..." He groaned to himself as he tried to find a good spot in the ship away from the windows.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
Story of Dusk
[hr]

"Rugal! R-Rugal?" Nina called to the broken man as he passed her, not saying a word in the eerily silent dead world. Her hair blow behind her despite the windless landscape as she turned to watch him continue on into the ship, her hand reflexively reaching up to lay her fingers against the broach on her chest. "No... he's really not..." She agreed at Phillip's wordless comment, looking up to that same still sun and the surrounding landscape. In her heart she felt this was a place that was, but she couldn't shake the idea that somehow this was what this place always looked like. Strange as it might be and unlikely as it was because of Rugal's demeanor, she couldn't imagine what a hell it'd be trying to survive in a place like this.

Nina wouldn't dottle on reboarding the ship, least something happen or get left behind somehow. Unsure exactly what she should do about Rugal, Nina felt it best to give him a bit of time to think and collect himself. She sure had used her time for it previously, but stopped on her way to the bridge as Phillip hopped off her shoulder and headed towards one of the interior locations of the ship. "Phillip, where are you going? That's not the way to the kitchen?" She called out to him before following after him.

Inside whatever hidey hole Rugal had squirreled his way into, he'd still feel that pervasive feeling of Phillip's aura drawing closer to him. Unceremoniously opening the door, Phillip slinked into the room, balanced on the top of him was an open jar with single old fashion candy stick. He set the jar down and turned to leave as Nina came rushing in. "Sorry, I know you probably want to be alone, but Phillip was saying you were going to need this. It's a ginger candy, some lemon and honey for good measure too. It's something I have when I'm sick." Nina explained while Phillip continued out the door, seemingly happy with what he'd accomplished. "But... I'll leave you to do your thing." Nina said, her own gemstone of pure lapis in the center of her chest.

NotYetForsaken

Power in Procedure
Sep 27, 2010
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
Story of Dusk
[hr]

The Inquiry breached the worldsphere once again, leaving Publius behind to watch over the grey world of Eterna. Yona leaned against the padded walls of the Inquiry's engine room, looking on at the wretched and naked body of the woman once known as Princess Biancarossa. The damage to her body was severe, thick scars, layered one upon another, ran across her skin like lesions. From the stumps of where her limbs once had been to the pieces of her shattered skull, were wires and machina. The air was thick with static, latent energy coursing through the ionized air as the devices stimulated the husk of a person before her.

This was the fruit of Yona's wish and Vihaan's labor. The only reason that the Inquiry could escape the bounds of reality itself. Yona wondered how it felt to be alive in that sense, to be stuck in a body unable to move, forced to give what little life force it had left to power the abomination of a machine that was Vihaan's Desire Drive. Yona wondered if the woman felt pain still. Perhaps she had once, early into the two years of travel, but now the impulses were barely enough to stir her from her deathlike slumber.

A machine hummed to life and began to pump the blood from the hanging corpse. It was thick and black, more akin to oil than blood. Yona turned around and left the engine room to the doctors and engineers.

Vihaan was sitting in his chair on the bridge with his knees tucked into his chest. He gazed onward into the darkness outside with reserved fury. Yona sat down on the only comfortable armrest on Vihaan's chair. Vihaan glanced at Yona but said nothing.

"The Desire Drive is about to give out," Yona started, "we're at our limit Vihaan. We won't make it Aramanthia."

"We weren't even supposed to make it to Anazorzia," Vihaan answered quietly.

"I'm afraid that we have pushed our luck as far as it will go. Our core purification systems are worn out. Our water, our air, and even your miracle fluid has run it's course. We must give up the chase."

"Are we to face our foe with only this motley group? Two heroes out of seven?" Vihaan asked.

Yona turned to the darkness outside, seeing the infinite nothing stretch on for eternity made her strangely at ease. "It was always a suicide mission. I'd just rather not die before we try to go for the killing blow."

Vihaan put his feet down and leaned forward. His eyes looked straight ahead. His brow was furrowed, his lips were tight. "Alright. How long do we have?."

"A week at most," Yona said as she stood up to leave. The door opened and Ensign Tolstad rushed into the bridge, panting and out of breath.

"Colonel, Admiral, you're not going to believe this, but we're picking up comm signals through the Desire Drive!"

Vihaan sat up. "Comm signals?"

"Aye sir, a safe harbor beacon!" Tolstad said, "and the next part is even more incredible! It's a friendly IFF! It's the Soul of Tomorrow!"

"What are the chances that this is a trap?"

"What is the chance that it makes a difference?" Vihaan answered.

Yona cracked a smile, "I suppose so. Set a course ensign!"

"Aye aye Colonel!"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
Story of Dusk
[hr]

When Philip did figure out where Rugal escaped to-
"URRGKKKK-BRRAAAAHHH! *COUGH! COUGH* uhhhh.... *Spit!* ...I hate space..." Rugal grumbled to himself as he dumped the contents of his stomach into the ship's toilet.
Nina would get a hellva shock seeing the famed "Captain of the Rising Dawn" in such a state, hunched over a bowl rim overwhelmed by emotions and sickness. (Thankfully he didn't get anything on his nice suit!).
With an expression of both confusion and embarrassment, he silently took the ginger candy before nodding a little.
"But... I'll leave you to do your thing."

"......That world wasn't always like that...It's something I failed to stop...I tried to stop it but-...if anything I caused it...I was there when it all came to an end..." He explained, figuring they deserved some sort of answer after coming this far.
It was about now that he noticed the Gem Nina was carrying, slowly pulling out his own Shappire one.
"...That gem....you were also in another world, weren't you?...I-....I still don't entirely understand...All I know is my journey was not in victory...ohhhhereitcomesagain-" He rattled on before getting up one last load of vomit out of his body.
Using the tap to rinse his mouth, he shakily stood up, reassuring himself over and over "I'm okay...I'm okay...Right...Better to get this over with. I'm going to the bridge to see what I can do for Vihaan to get us home. I didn't make it this far to end up confined to a floating metal coffin millions of miles from my family..."

Before too long, he joined both the Admiral and the Colonel on the bridge, looking a bit unsettled (especially when looking directly out the windows) but still attempting to be of some use to his saviors.
It would be at this time he would try some of the Ginger candy stick, mainly to get that horrible taste out of his mouth.
"Right...Vihaan and...Yona, was it?...I didn't thank you both before for giving me passage. But something tells me we have a long way to go before we're back on Earth. So, what needs to be done before I can get my feet back on the ground? I don't confess this often but Space Travel is one of the few things I...would consider my weakness..." He explained as he edged towards one of the consoles, rather keen to look at a computer screen then outside.
"The Soul of Tomorrow...That's one of our allies, correct?"

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
[hr]
End of an Era
Code:
Story of Dusk
[hr]

If Nina had any doubts about why Phillip gave Rugal that candy, she certainly knew now, although she did wonder why rainbows were coming out of him. She didn't have long to think about that however as Rugal informed heron the fate of the world they'd just left, confirming her fears that things hadn't gone well. She didn't say much after that, thinking of what Miriam would think in knowing that another one of her sisters had died, and even touched at the lapis broach on her chest. She was so lost in thought in fact, she didn't notice Rugal leaving the room and with Phillip gone she was left alone.

"What the? Where did he go?" Nina looked around the room before noticing herself in the mirror, the shimmering stone of lapis at the center of her chest. She had plenty of time to think what this meant for her, both for Miriam and that empty world, it was gonna be painful yet oddly it stung more than she expected. Something Rugal had said felt wrong to her, or was it something he didn't say? "He... he didn't even notice... did he..?" She ran through the mumblings he made, stomping her foot as she cursed. "What the fuck! Like I get it, there's way more important things at stake here, but..! The least he could have done is say something, ANYTHING!" Nina strutted angrily up to the mirror. "My hair's floating, I'm literally wearing a galaxy, my chest is frickin' huge! The least he could have asked is how I was doing!?" She shouted, turning away from the mirror and throwing her arms up in the air in frustration. "Just act like I'm a real person, it's all I'm asking, people keep acting like I'm some big shot. Like... the reverse of the Emperor's New Clothes." Nina muttered with a huff, feeling a bit better as she headed for the door. "At least I got help where I can." She smiled as she held her hat and made a quick swoosh to make sure she cleared the door.

As Nina entered the room, she looked to Phillip who'd moved closer to Rugal, his aura slowly focusing more on him. "Rugal you're supposed to-" She started to explain before Phillip quickly papped the candy to push it onto his back cheek. "Suck on it... and no chewing." Nina finished as Phillip's focus on Rugal released. The candy was quite tasty thanks to the lemon and honey and slowly it helped to settle his stomach despite his nerve's best efforts to make him heave again.

"I know he's not really in the conversation mood right now but you shouldn't just shove things into people's mouths. That's a choking hazard." Nina knelt down as Phillip scuttled his way closer to her, managing to get a head pat or two before he slinked away. Standing up, Nina looked around at those there. "So... is that like our pit stop? That'd definitely not another world." Pointing at the monitor to the Soul of Tomorrow.