The Escapist Cookbook

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
@Xprimentyl there ya are, champ.

We never really ate all the weird cereals in my family... so I never got to try any of those or coco puffs or fruity whatever growing up. I know for sure I do not like oatmeal with milk. BUT I do like oatmeal cookies. :)

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
In Memory of our Beloved Fuddruckers:
Fuddruckers Hamburger Seasoning:

• 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
I keep a shaker full of this to use when making burgers.
Shake or sprinkle it on your burger before cooking.
This isn't part of Fuddruckers recipe, but I like to add some fresh thyme on the patties as well before cooking and
put an indent on the top of each patty to help keep them well shaped andJuicy.
Fuddruckers serves their burgers on freshly baked and toasted buns.

To ensure that the meat cooks evenly, make a thumbprint indentation into each patty before it goes on the grill. The indentation helps the patty hold its shape—rather than swelling—as it shrinks during cooking
https://www.cookinglight.com/cookin...re that the meat,as it shrinks during cooking.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Never... tried... Cinnamon... Toast... Crun... I need to sit down; I'm not sure how to process this.
My family didn't eat cereal growing up.. We, like most Native Americans don't drink cow's milk and the only place we could get goats milk growing up was from a local farm. I am not just " lactose intolerant" like most Native Americans, I am actually allergic to Cow's milk. I swell up and break out in hives from Cow's milk. I can drink Goat's milk fine though.

Soggy mush that is oatmeal with milk though just grosses me out though EVEN with Goat's milk. XD

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Pretty easy one, but it was a combination that I'd never considered until a neighbor introduced me to it

Barbecue Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp.

Wrap the shrimp in pre-cooked bacon and skewer them. Put them on the grill until cooked through (usually about 2-3 minutes per side). Shrimp should be pink and opaque. Brush on the barbecue sauce of your choice (I recommend a sweet/spicy variant), pull them off the skewer and into a bowl or plate. Can function as an entree or appetizer.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
1 slice of cake or toasted candied bread
4 ripe strawberries
1-2 spoonfuls of honey
1-3 mint leaves, roughly chopped

Dice strawberries, combine with honey and mint. Serve over cake with optional whipped cream.

Simplest desert I know.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I maintain a text-based cooking show in a Discord group to try to lead @tippy2k2 away from a life of culinary sin. I'll repost tonight's entry.

Yesterday, I made a sort of fajita chicken casserole. The recipe was given to me by a grocery store (HEB, Texans!) that sells fajita-style marinated chicken breast, and was to be composed of chicken, a can of corn, a can of black beans, a garlic-cumin sauce, shredded cheese, and torn tortilla bits.

Well, they didnt sell the sauce anymore, and it probably would have been high in fat anyway.

I decided I wanted to make it more like fajitas (for the non-Southwest: fajitas are kind of like self-assembled tacos, in that you are brought meat that has been marinated and grilled (no ground beef allowed!) (and often served with grilled onions and bell peppers), along with fixings and tortillas, and are left to yourself to make your own fajita taco) so I got a bag of frozen sliced onions and bell peppers. Heated them in the microwave. Sliced up some serrano peppers for heat, and roasted some poblano peppers before chopping them up for smokey flavors (roasting peppers really does bring out a lot of flavor; I do mine in the oven under the broil setting). I sauteed all the peppers and onions together with garlic, took them out, sauteed the chicken in batches (my bag had 4.5 lbs of chicken, about 2 kilos). I drained and mixed together the cans of corn and black beans, and added a can of Rotel, which for non-Texans is a brand that cans a mix of diced tomatoes and green peppers. None of that really belongs in fajitas, but it's more veggie-ish nutrients and I only ever said I was making the recipe more like fajitas anyway. Mixed all the plants with the chicken (technically hit a lot of big groups: fruit, a veggie, a legume and a starch), threw in some salt, cumin, and sweetened lime juice, then layered them into the casserole dish. Layer of filling, layer of torn tortilla, layer of shredded cheese, and repeat. Some oven cooking, and voila.

I actually made a second casserole cuz I misread the recipe: I thought it called for 1 package of chicken (again, mine was 4.5 lbs), when it really called for 1 lb. So I left the other casserole for my folks to have for dinners and packaged the original to come with me back to my room (I'm renting a room out of a house to be close to work, and was visiting my parents yesterday for the holiday, and due to a tortured story my order of groceries had ended up in a store by them and not by where I moved, so I meal prepped there this week).

Heated it up for dinner tonight for the first time in the microwave. Its goooood. Has a nice tingly heat and satisfying flavor. I've had this pre-marinated chicken before and it actually is pretty decent, an excellent option for those without the time or the freedom in the kitchen to marinate their own, a situation I'm in. Wish I could grill it for that real fajita flavor and sear, but alas I could only really cook it in my parents' non-stick at a medium temperature and try to pull it off before it got overdone. Ever since reading Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat I've tried to really be cognizant of the balance of flavors in my cooking, and I think this did a good job. I didn't really salt the chicken due to the marinade, I added some salt to the peppers to bring out their flavors, and the shredded cheese helped carry flavor without being too calorie heavy like a traditional casserole cream sauce would be, which is important for me on my diet.

And there is no such thing as too much cumin.

Coming up next week: you'll probably know it a day after I do.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Anyone got a banana bread recipe? I like my banana bread moist and dense, just like how I like your mama!

But seriously, I've tried two recipes already and was highly disappointed by them.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Anyone got a banana bread recipe? I like my banana bread moist and dense, just like how I like your mama!

But seriously, I've tried two recipes already and was highly disappointed by them.
You're in luck boyo:

INGREDIENTS:
1.5 C granulated sugar
0.5 C shortening
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 C flour
3 T milk
0.25 tsp salt
0.5 C walnuts, chopped (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray with flour. Cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla, and milk. Mix together then add to creamed mixture flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in walnuts if desired. Bake for 1-1.25 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

The perks of coming from a family that likes to cook.

EDIT: There is also a banana cake recipe as well.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
You're in luck boyo:

INGREDIENTS:
1.5 C granulated sugar
0.5 C shortening
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 C flour
3 T milk
0.25 tsp salt
0.5 C walnuts, chopped (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray with flour. Cream together sugar and shortening. Add eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla, and milk. Mix together then add to creamed mixture flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in walnuts if desired. Bake for 1-1.25 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

The perks of coming from a family that likes to cook.

EDIT: There is also a banana cake recipe as well.
Thank you my good man, I will try this out next.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My family didn't eat cereal growing up.. We, like most Native Americans don't drink cow's milk and the only place we could get goats milk growing up was from a local farm. I am not just " lactose intolerant" like most Native Americans, I am actually allergic to Cow's milk. I swell up and break out in hives from Cow's milk. I can drink Goat's milk fine though.

Soggy mush that is oatmeal with milk though just grosses me out though EVEN with Goat's milk. XD
CTC (as it's called in the streets) is a staple of childhood (and a guilty pleasure of adulthood, if we're being honest; ) everyone has to at least try it. It's even good without milk; some people just scoop some into a sandwich baggie and snack on the dry, sweet, buttery goodness. As kids, we'd run around the neighborhood like fiends with bags of dope, sugar all over our faces, until we crashed from the high. But WITH milk is the best, because once the cereal is gone, a delicious cinnamon-sugar nectar is left in remains...

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
CTC (as it's called in the streets) is a staple of childhood (and a guilty pleasure of adulthood, if we're being honest; ) everyone has to at least try it. It's even good without milk; some people just scoop some into a sandwich baggie and snack on the dry, sweet, buttery goodness. As kids, we'd run around the neighborhood like fiends with bags of dope, sugar all over our faces, until we crashed from the high. But WITH milk is the best, because once the cereal is gone, a delicious cinnamon-sugar nectar is left in remains...
My dad used to eat handfuls of it right out of the box while reading the paper. I don't think he was even aware he was doing it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Bread and butter pudding is a sort of baked custard affair that's a very tasty and highly inexpensive dessert.

Ingredients
Enough bread to not quite fill an ovenproof dish. Any bread product will do. Slightly stale white bread is ideal.
Enough butter to butter the bread and grease the dish.
2 eggs
350ml/12fl oz of milk
50ml/2fl oz of double cream
25g/1oz of sugar

Optional but recommended ingredients
Dried fruit
Cinnamon and/or nutmeg
Jam/marmalade/jelly/other fruit preserve

Butter the dish. Butter the bread on one side. Layer the bread in the dish, with your optional ingredients sprinkled or spread between the layers. Gently heat the milk and cream together in a pan. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat three quarters of the sugar into it. Pour the hot milk and cream into the eggs, and stir well to form a custard. Pour the custard over the bread, and sprinkle the remaining sugar over the top, and leave to stand for half an hour. Preheat the oven to 180C/356F, and cook the pudding for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

Yea being Native american, we can't usually digest milk at all, then on top of that, it actually trying to kill me with swelling and hives, not just make me throw up, sorta put that in the "keep it the hell away from me" category no matter how good it might actually taste. XD

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My dad used to eat handfuls of it right out of the box while reading the paper. I don't think he was even aware he was doing it.
He probably didn't; CTC has been known to induce a trance-like euphoria.

Yea being Native american, we can't usually digest milk at all, then on top of that, it actually trying to kill me with swelling and hives, not just make me throw up, sorta put that in the "keep it the hell away from me" category no matter how good it might actually taste. XD
This might sound crazy, but CTC might be worth dying for.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I certainly notice a difference, to me the taste difference is like eating two different recipes all together. but then again, I am a super taster so I tend to notice that stuff immediately.
Welp, our ceviche has been a hit thus far; it was requested for a third time, so I went out and got the MEXICAN oregano this time. I must say, while I'm not a "super taster," I can certainly taste and appreciate the difference between this and "regular" oregano. Thanks for the advice!

1599833062645.png