The Escapist Presents: Breaking Down Baldur's Gate

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Breaking Down Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate: Original, Modded or Enhanced Edition? I'll break down what you can expect from the new Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Watch Video

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
Nice summary, think I'll stick with my modded bg1tutu but if more people get a chance to play this great game then that can only be a good thing.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Slycne said:
So let's get this straight, I love the Baldur's Gate series.
Now there's a surprise! ;)

Great video, it was nice to hear and see the changes and improvements. The inventory looks a lot nicer, that's for sure. About the intro.... Yeah, it looks nicer, but I kinda miss the Nietzsche quote (maybe it's nostalgia talking).
Sleep is better than magic missile? But I loooove magic missile!! :D
No Minsc and Boo in the party, how could you?!?! ;)

You got one thing right, a modded Baldur's Gate is indeed still going to be my preferred method of play. However! I'll be getting an iPad this holiday season, and I'm seriously considering getting it for the iPad, rather than the PC...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I agree with everything except for the need to be tech savvy to install BGTUTU (the mod which converts BG1 to the BG2 engine). One only needs to google BGTUTU, download the installer and install.

While newcomers might be better off with the EE, it's worth mentioning that you can get BG1+2+expansions for less than the price for BGEE (which only has BG1+expansion). While EE comes with new content, there's far more content made by modders that might not be compatible with the EE.

I'll probably stick to the originals.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
I meta way too much while playing.
But hah. I had both Commander Shepards in my party at one time!
...then I killed Dynaheir off, because 3 mages was just too much.

My BG2 is very heavily modded, but 1, not so much, so I liked what they did here, tho I generally agree BGEE is nothing special. Except, you know. It's Baldur's Gate, and that's awesome. I was very excited about it, and I think Beamdog did a good job. Except for some bugs.

Bashful Reaper

May 7, 2010
Hmm, just finished playing the first Baldur's Gate game a little while ago. I may get this, but I never really had that much of a problem with the engine. I learnt the rules the hard way and never forgot them, the tutorial was shockingly bad in the original game. Also, did anyone cheat by doing the group combat tutorial, stealing all their equipment, exporting the character and starting the game again? It seemed like a good idea when I was 14...

Bashful Reaper

May 7, 2010
Loethlin said:
I meta way too much while playing.
But hah. I had both Commander Shepards in my party at one time!
...then I killed Dynaheir off, because 3 mages was just too much.
I assume you are talking about the voice actors, I never knew who voiced Xan, so I'll have to take your word for it... Mages were a liability for most of the game, unless you used the rest button like a narcoleptic.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
So Enhanced Edition is only the first game and its expansion? Why did I think it was BG2 too? Lame, I wanted both games. =(

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Bashful Reaper said:
I assume you are talking about the voice actors, I never knew who voiced Xan, so I'll have to take your word for it... Mages were a liability for most of the game, unless you used the rest button like a narcoleptic.
Yes, the voice actors. :)
No, Xan is voiced by Jeff Bennett. I eventually had him in my final party, actually, because he was boss with buffing magic, and his Moonblade.
New guy, Rasaad, is voiced by Mark Meer. He's a monk, and I wanted to test at least one new guy. And wanted to listen to him hitting on my CHARNAME (who was a mage).
Mages are fun for me, but I always do that caster stuff. They get to be good characters only after they're able to cast 3rd level spells. Before that, they're just like guys throwing rocks at the monsters...

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
No mention of multiplayer? Apparently it's going to be fully supported and much easier to do that in the original, though there are still some bugs in it according to the forums. That's one of the main reasons why BGEE was worth the $20 out of my pocket.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
I'm still upset they screwed up every single item name by replacing the functional names with more descriptive names, (i.e. Short Sword +2 -> Whistling Sword +2). I also don't like the addition of new companions, (I've never liked companion mods, and that's what this is), and Black Pits is...not really an issue one way or another. But besides that, it's alright.

ratzofftoya

Jul 2, 2012
Man, what a tough decision. I want to replay these badly, and suspect that the modded version is still better if I don't really plan on playing multiplayer, but the iPad version is so tempting as it's really the only way I'd ever be able to finish. Is BG2EE coming out, guaranteed?

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I certainly like the aesthetics of the EE's new cinematics. But I might just wait for someone to mod that into the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod and co-opt it. After my butt-kicking-for-goodness Cavalier's story, I'm probably going to re-roll as a Monk or something once I have a reason to revisit the trilogy.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Why would you even mention there's a twist involving the main character if the developers removed a quote specifically to hide it?

I've never played it, want to play it, and thought this was the perfect time to see what everyone was talking about. Now I have to go through the experience knowing to expect some twist and looking out for it when, I assume, it gets foreshadowed.

Was it really that important to note why a quote was deleted from an opening cinematic?

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Slycne said:
Breaking Down Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate: Original, Modded or Enhanced Edition? I'll break down what you can expect from the new Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Watch Video
Sorry, but it is not knee-chee, it is Nee-tcha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrtSoASqjoE

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Hmm don?t think I?ll be picking it up. I actually bought the entire series again right before the EE was announced and I?m already playing with BGtutu which from the sound of it does most of what the EE does. The new into look nice though, far better than the awful 3d one but they shortened it too much.
Whispering Death said:
Why would you even mention there's a twist involving the main character if the developers removed a quote specifically to hide it?

I've never played it, want to play it, and thought this was the perfect time to see what everyone was talking about. Now I have to go through the experience knowing to expect some twist and looking out for it when, I assume, it gets foreshadowed.

Was it really that important to note why a quote was deleted from an opening cinematic?
It is painfully obvious right from the start, with or without that quote. He didn't spoil anything.

Feb 11, 2009
The reason for me getting EE is that I own a Mac for four years now and can't play either my first release disks or GoG version (without rebooting to Win7).