Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Guild Wars 2 Video Head Start

A head start on character creation, crafting and other features of Guild Wars 2

Watch Video

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
Nice video.

I've been playing a lot lately myself. I do wish default bank space was bigger, but that's really the only big issue I've had thus far, other than obvious bugs. I'm having a blast!

(Dinky is my brain buddy!)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4_hq/escapist/the-escapist-presents/5c5a4d5fb592fe7cd72ddd0eae0cd659.mp4''

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
this game blew me away - maybe because i didnt expect as much, but im enjoying this mmo more than any mmo since wow vanila so yea. NICE ONE - plus im actually really enjoying the singleplayer storyline so gona have to roll some alts for that - strangely enuff i enjoy that part even more than i did in swtor....bioware beaten at its own game? personally id say yes but i guess thats up to everyone themselves

cya in kryta

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Elder Dragons?

One does not simply go off and kill a dragon

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
No subscription? Balanced PvP? Overflow shards instead of a login queue?
No holy trin... wait... I guess that means I can't play a pure team support character.

Honestly, that's my only concern with the game. I *always* play support in team based games.
Engie in TF2, Buff/Heal Druid in Vanilla WoW, the list goes on...
I have to wonder if there is enough team support to keep me interested, or if it's just balanced
so I can solo without rolling an alt?

So, Justin, should I just wait for SWOTOR to go F2P or do you think Guild Wars is worth the plunge for a player like me?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Nice way of summing up the first part of the game. The only suggestion I can make is to mention in the next video are those hidden jumping puzzle located throughtout the maps.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Was never intrested in the game, but after having seen some gameplay videos I gotta say I'm pretty tempted to pick it up.
Will wait a few weeks though, so people level away from me a bit before I catch up.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Vidiot said:
No holy trin... wait... I guess that means I can't play a pure team support character.
You can definitely build your character as more of a support build. Personally I roll on my Engineer with Healing/Rocket Turret, Flamethrower kit and a buff Elixir (I think its X not sure) but I could easily swap to more support orientated skills. Switch out flamethrower for elixir gun to heal/buff allies while debuffing enemies. Maybe switch out healing turret for the Medic Kit so I can drop first aid supplies or maybe just pick up more Elixirs for my skill slots since you can also throw them at allies to provide them with the buffs and if spec'd for it do damage to enemies. The trait lines are also pretty good for customizing your play style because even though something like explosions may not seem like something your interested in when it comes to healing you can spec in it to get faster bomb/grenade CDs, larger blast radius, a debuff applied to all explosions and then a skill in the Invention trait line that makes bombs heal allies.

You're not gonna be able to pull off a pure healing spec simply because if a class could then everyone would expect that class to heal the others and that doesn't seem to be the design intent for which I am glad. You'll still be expected to be dishing out damage to enemies and such but there are plenty of options to sacrifice personal performance to buff those around you and debuff targets. Also from my limited alt experience I can vouch for the fact that this isn't just the case for the engineer. My lvl 9 Elementalist can swap between the 4 elements at any time going from fire (raw damage/aoe), water/ice (healing/debuffs), air (damage/CC), and earth (damage over time).

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
That sounds... well, that sounds like exactly what I was hoping when this was mentioned in the video. I can aid my teammates, and it's not considered irresponsible for me to attack the enemy as well as heal/buff the party, and it sounds like a healing turret or medkit build is right up my alley. Thanks for the clarification. If I get the chance to play, my first character will definitely be an engineer.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Playing this game... and shockingly... I've not got level 20 syndrome yet.

Y'know that point in most MMO's around Level 20 where you just get bored but people keep on telling you to push for level 60 because the game doesn't get fun until then? None of that here, also one of the better communities I've seen with individuals helping one another without necessarily being in a party.

It helps that it always gives you something to do... and OH MY GAWD! Dynamic levels is a god send.

CAPTCHA: Top Notch.
You bet your buns it is.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Make sure to bring up the level scaling when playing in a lower end area. I've been playing since the head start started and I've leveled up to 19 just in the first Norn area alone (plus a little pvp). With the scaling I hardly notice my level (except for gear requirements) I just go do what I'm feeling up to and the xp follows me.

Also with the scaling you can get loot drops that are at your characters real level while killing low end mobs. Example: When I was 13 I was killing some level 2 deer to complete my daily quest, and I got a green level 13 drop off of one of them, my best drop to date at the time.

Overall the game does a great job of allowing what ever you want to do to feel meaningful.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I like the PvE so far. I just seem to go down incredibly quick as mesmer, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

The only thing I still don't fully understand are the servers. As far as I understand it, they only limit what WvW team you can join (your own).
So you'll be able to play with friends on a different server, but can you join guilds and represent them, even if they're created on another server?
Also I assume the gem exchange rate is the same on all servers?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Is there a more efficient way to craft?
I've harvested 2 starting zone's worth of mats (1-15) and I have just about got 1 character's single profession to level 75 where that character can make use of mats harvested from (15+) zones.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Is it just me or was the video quality lower than normal?

I wasn't expecting HD because I don't have the money to pay for premium, but I had to squint really hard to see any text.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
scw55 said:
Is there a more efficient way to craft?
I've harvested 2 starting zone's worth of mats (1-15) and I have just about got 1 character's single profession to level 75 where that character can make use of mats harvested from (15+) zones.
Crafting bonus consumables are a god send. You need to be lucky when opening black lion lockboxes if you don't want to spend real cash for gems to buy them but they increase you chance of critical craft xp by 50% and lasts an hour. Personally I try to save up enough mats when I get one to make using it worth it but I do agree that crafting can be really hard. My Engi is Huntsman/Leatherworker but because they use a lot of the same materials (the various levesl of blood/fangs/claws/etc) I've pretty much sidelined my huntsman to focus on my LWing. The good thing is, like pointed out in the video, you can switch professions anytime without losing your originally gained progress and try out something new that might be easier to level along side your other profession of choice.

Skyy High

Dec 6, 2009
Vidiot said:

Honestly, that's my only concern with the game. I *always* play support in team based games.
I have to wonder if there is enough team support to keep me interested, or if it's just balanced

So, Justin, should I just wait for SWOTOR to go F2P or do you think Guild Wars is worth the plunge for a player like me?
While you can't play a "pure" support build capable of keeping another player alive indefinitely on your own (like a healer in most other MMOs), you can build your character to overwhelmingly be about support. Engineers, guardians, and elementalists are probably the most support-oriented professions.

As for crafting: discovery mode is your friend. Do NOT try to grind out the same pair of gloves over and over again to boost your crafting level; you will use far fewer materials if you discover the pattern of the crafting system and use it to your advantage. Discover new recipes in the discovery mode and you get tons of bonus crafting XP, 1-2 levels worth per item in fact.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Vidiot said:
That sounds... well, that sounds like exactly what I was hoping when this was mentioned in the video. I can aid my teammates, and it's not considered irresponsible for me to attack the enemy as well as heal/buff the party, and it sounds like a healing turret or medkit build is right up my alley. Thanks for the clarification. If I get the chance to play, my first character will definitely be an engineer.
Its definitely not just engies, necro has a ton of heals, debuffs, buffs and alot of skills that either removes debuffs or turn them into buffs and vica versa. Certain classes are more focused in certain areas then others, thief for example is very cc heavy with lots of blinds and such.

Something not mentioned in this review is that you cannot be OCD and play this game >_<
Map completion obsession is killing my sleep schedule, and dear god, if I can't find the very last point of interest I cry.....

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Vidiot said:
As mentioned by some others, there are some options. Heck, even my thief has a few skills that help groups, like a skill that heals and stealths everyone in the area. That said, the Medic specced Imperial Agent from SWOTOR is one of my favorite support classes ever.

Without going full review mode, as long as you're not looking for the next endgame PVE raiding MMO, Guild Wars 2 is a pretty safe bet.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Vidiot said:

I'm playing Guardian as my main. I can choose at any time to take a back-seat and heal/buff my allies or (literally) jump into the fray brandishing my greatsword and burning foes like there's no tomorrow.

This can be done with any profession, as far as I'm concerned, though it's going to be easier for some.