The Escapist Presents: Ouya Unboxing

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Some constructive criticism for next time: Every time Ma'idah held up an object closer to the camera, the object was no longer in focus. If you use a camera with a larger depth-of-field, or had someone working the focus, it would have been much easier to see the items in close-up.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Good thing I backed this so I'd be guaranteed one before retail... It'll be even better when it finally turns up. =p

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I honestly wouldn't mind one of these to try out with Game Anyone for Let's Plays. I mean sure it has other games, but it'd still be interesting, plus I'd be able to record Android games with my HD PVR 2 so I'm happy.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Ma'idah looks good in the video, and it is an unboxing (so it did what the title inferred), but I was hoping to hear the Escapist's opinion on the interface, hardware and games. Also, the music was not exciting, it was aggravating. I muted it. Too loud, in an attempt to make the video "exciting".

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Kinda reminds me of those mini consoles that play 6 or so retro games.

I look forward to hearing more news about games for this system.

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
The focus is little off and Ma'idah's voice sounds smaller than the music. Other than that, I am looking forward to the Ouya!

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
For what I have seen it isn't a bad console. I mean it is an open format with allot of options. And android games are not bad :)

Is it equal to a wiiU or an PS4/PS3/Xbox 360/Xbox One...hahahaa.. no don't ask. it is a whole different ball game here. Smaller cheaper gamers that ought to offer allot of content right there.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Legality aside, it's probably great at emulating older consoles.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Still not as enthusiastic as this guy:

Honestly, I didn't think anyone could be enthusiastic about unboxing the Ouya. Its like unboxing an Xbox One, except worse. Everything I read about this console is depressing right down to the bad controls, bad performance, and shovel ware games. Every single review I ever seen on this console is a red flag after another.
Oh, wow. I feel worse about the world just having watched that poor guy.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
That is the cutest darn box ever.
Then again, I have a bias towards cubed objects. Gamecube was an adorable little box

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
I'd call the thing a waste of space, but it really doesn't take up much space. Just an HDMI port.

Seriously, Ouya, firmware update for the controller lag, please.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I'll be getting one once I've paid off my PS4 pre-order and a few games. And I might wait until they fix a few of the problems in some firmware updates, but I feel like the controller will be just fine for me, as I've never been bothered by the controller design of any console. As for games, I hope that by buying(and hopefully some other people) it indie developers will be tempted to develop specifically for it. Once the first damn good game is released on it, the community will eat it up, and hopefully it will tempt other people to buy it and get other developers to make stuff for it on the mentality that, contrary to popular belief, it's a console, not a phone.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Still not as enthusiastic as this guy:

Honestly, I didn't think anyone could be enthusiastic about unboxing the Ouya. Its like unboxing an Xbox One, except worse. Everything I read about this console is depressing right down to the bad controls, bad performance, and shovel ware games. Every single review I ever seen on this console is a red flag after another.
Dear god I laughed so hard at that.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
What the hell is this? Something came in a box, so I opened it. Yay, packaging!

Also, that isn't gunmetal grey, that's fake silver.