The Escapist Presents: The Best RPGs of E3 2013

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
The Best RPGs of E3 2013

Ashley Esqueda checks out some of The Escapist's favorite RPGs from E3 2013.

Watch Video

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Cool video. I'm very looking forward to X and FFV.

This is the first time I've heard of Ashley, but she's proven herself a true nerd by not wanting to look at the Elder Scroll on display for too long. Very well done :)

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I hate the new art direction of Final Fantasy games why go for pseudo realism? Why not go back to quasi-fantasy style of snes games we didn't see that in a while on a big system.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
james.sponge said:
I hate the new art direction of Final Fantasy games why go for pseudo realism? Why not go back to quasi-fantasy style of snes games we didn't see that in a while on a big system.
Because "ZOMGULTRAREALIZMIZDABESTEST" and publishers refuse to see it any other way. Also, I can't care less about FFXV, but I DO care about the new Kingdom Hearts because ITS FUCKING KINGDOM HEARTS. Oh, and Star Wars Battlefront, because ITS FUCKING STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Thank you for that question at 2:50ish. Been wondering that ever since the game was announced.

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
Nice, though in my opinion almost none of these games are RPGs ^^
Really cant anyone distinguish between an action rpg and a straight rpg anymore? As a huge rpg game nerd this makes me so sad :(
(also before you jump at my throat, action rpgs are great, they have their place, but they are just a very different type of game)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
erbi79 said:
Really cant anyone distinguish between an action rpg and a straight rpg anymore? As a huge rpg game nerd this makes me so sad :(
(also before you jump at my throat, action rpgs are great, they have their place, but they are just a very different type of game)
While I get what you're saying, it would be a bit too pedantic to try to subdivide a simple presentation like this into subgenres. In any case, where do you draw the line? There are people on RPG Codex that don't consider Baldur's Gate to be an RPG. Do we have to go back to Ultima and Wasteland or the AD&D Gold Box series to find a true RPG? Better just to call them all RPGs except in the case of an actual discussion on subgenres.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Wildstar still looks much more interesting than TESO. Then again, I was somewhat disappointed with Skyrim in general, compared to the older TES games.

X looks interesting, but I wouldn't get a WiiU for it. I'm not sure when Square Enix made a good RPG. >_> I like some JRPGs, but FF is fucking awful. Suikoden and Persona are great though.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
SpunkeyMonkey said:
Really can't wait for The Witcher 3! Simply because there appears to be lots of elements which I already love about The Witcher 2 present, but bettered, in the trailer. Geralt's model looks a bit cumbersome/awkward though. Think I prefer his image in TWI2.
I'm so with you on that one, I was literally never this excited for a game.

If I remember correctly Geralt looked awkward in the early trailers of TW2 too, it seems they polish that in the last stages of development.

What excites me most is that they already show so much gameplay and landscapes and everything, from a game thats still almost a year away from launch. Compare that to Dragon Age 3, which is supposed to come out around the same time, where we only got a short CGI trailer that practically conveyed nothing.
That probably means they will have lots of time for polishing etc.

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
erbi79 said:
While I get what you're saying, it would be a bit too pedantic to try to subdivide a simple presentation like this into subgenres. In any case, where do you draw the line? There are people on RPG Codex that don't consider Baldur's Gate to be an RPG. Do we have to go back to Ultima and Wasteland or the AD&D Gold Box series to find a true RPG? Better just to call them all RPGs except in the case of an actual discussion on subgenres.
My definition is actually simple and straight forward:

direct control and action combat, as in The Witcher and Mass Effect: Action RPG
Tactical Turn based Combat, as in Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age: Straight RPG

That's really the only distinction I care about, because they are just very different gameplay experiences.

Also, in my original post, I made a bigger deal out of this then it actually is for me.
What I am scared about is that the "classic" type of RPG will just eventually vanish and the modern type of action rpg will replace it, and that would just be a loss for many gamers who love "straight RPGs".

I just wish for more variety :)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Ashley Esqueda said:
The Best RPGs of E3 2013

Ashley Esqueda checks out some of The Escapist's favorite RPGs from E3 2013.

Watch Video
I'm kinda sad, this is your last video for the escapist :(

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Hmmm. It may because I'm in the middle The Last of Us but the Tom Clancy game is sounding very interesting.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
SpunkeyMonkey said:
Chris Tian said:
I'm so with you on that one, I was literally never this excited for a game.

If I remember correctly Geralt looked awkward in the early trailers of TW2 too, it seems they polish that in the last stages of development.

What excites me most is that they already show so much gameplay and landscapes and everything, from a game thats still almost a year away from launch. Compare that to Dragon Age 3, which is supposed to come out around the same time, where we only got a short CGI trailer that practically conveyed nothing.
That probably means they will have lots of time for polishing etc.
Yeah, he doesn't look too bad like, he just looked better in TW2 than he does there, so hopefully a bit more tweaking will sort that :)

They seem to be building on the foundations which made TW2 so enjoyable, and that fills me with enthusiasm! Especially after seeing series such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect totally rip up the foundations of what made them so great in order to pander to an audience which doesn't care about them. As you say, Dragon Age 3 is already miles behind, and it doesn't have the strength of a great second in the series behind it either. I remember seeing the Mike Laidlaw introduced combat preview for DA:2 and it left me underwhelmed and fearful of the release - fears which sadly proved true.
Thats exactly my feeling, it looks like the Witcher 2 just bigger and with horses and sailingboats.

But even still I won't pre-order just in case it is all hype and turns out to be pants. Somehow though, I really don't think it will be. :)
I never preordered anything, but I think The Witcher 3 will be a first at that. I loved The Witcher 2 so much and everything they show and tell us about The Witcher 3 just looks and sounds better and better.

I'm currently reading the Books and plan on replaying the first two games after that in an attempt to make the wait more endurable.

Edit: Haha, the "not scale" bit made me do my happydance in the middle of the office too.