The Escapist Presents: The Best RPGs of E3 2013

Azwrath

Feb 23, 2012
erbi79 said:
My definition is actually simple and straight forward:

direct control and action combat, as in The Witcher and Mass Effect: Action RPG
Tactical party based combat with Pause function , as in Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age: Party based RPG, Real time RPG, maybe even cRPG (but things get fuzzy there)
Tactical Turn based Combat, as in Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout: Turn based RPG

That's really the only distinction I care about, because they are just very different gameplay experiences.

Also, in my original post, I made a bigger deal out of this then it actually is for me.
What I am scared about is that the "classic" type of RPG will just eventually vanish and the modern type of action rpg will replace it, and that would just be a loss for many gamers who love "straight RPGs".

I just wish for more variety :)
Your definitions were a bit off, but i fixed them for you. All of these are part of the RPG genre, there is no stright, or true RPG. Series like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls or Gothic, while having a more action oriented combat are in fact RPGs. What is not an RPG but a game (shooter, action adventure) with RPG elements is something like FarCry 3.

But still, i understood what you meant. The old isometric cRPGs are not a priority for many AAA developers nowadays which is kind of understandable considering the production costs of AAA developement and that fac that cRPGs are more of a niche product.

Fortunately it seems that indie developers and kickstarter projects are full of them so we might be seeing some great ones coming out in the following years and if those prove succesful... who knows.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I noticed you guys spelt "The Division" as "The Devision" in the video which... isn't a word :p

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks it's telling that they can just 'rebrand; FFXIIIVs into FFXV

Isn't it a bad thing that the games have so little to do with eachother that they can just change the numbers at will?

MMORPG's? So you've betrayed me too Console RPG! Screw you! I don't need you, get out of here!
I'm going to play Dragon Age Origins and Record of Agarest War again.

I'm not some shy lonely nerd yearning for social contact. I'm an antisocial dick head who despises humanity!
I want a single player RPG that takes a hundred hours to beat so I can spend another hundred hours not having to acknowledge that other human beings exist!

And since I don't spend all my loose cash trying to impress random strangers I have enough money to buy video games!
MARKET TO MY DEMOGRAPHIC GAME'S INDUSTRY!!!

erbi79

Apr 21, 2013
Azwrath said:
Your definitions were a bit off, but i fixed them for you. All of these are part of the RPG genre, there is no stright, or true RPG. Series like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls or Gothic, while having a more action oriented combat are in fact RPGs. What is not an RPG but a game (shooter, action adventure) with RPG elements is something like FarCry 3.

But still, i understood what you meant. The old isometric cRPGs are not a priority for many AAA developers nowadays which is kind of understandable considering the production costs of AAA developement and that fac that cRPGs are more of a niche product.

Fortunately it seems that indie developers and kickstarter projects are full of them so we might be seeing some great ones coming out in the following years and if those prove succesful... who knows.
Your redefinition is fine ^^
though I still consider those games, real time with pause function, or plain turn based, to be extremely similar in mechanics and effect, also the intention was to give my definition, not deciding it for others :)

it's not even just the isometric perspective I miss, in fact I was very tired of the Infinity engine games by the end, and if I could ever make my game it would actually be a little bit more creative with the depiction, perspective, camera etc. (I spent a loooong time figuring that out ^^)

Anyway I think where it matters we understand each other and yes, great to see all those Kickstarters coming into existence, and let's hope a few of them at least turn out good :)

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Give me Witcher 3 now! I can't wait until 2014, damn that's a long wait.

With that said, 2014 will be a awesome year of RPG's most definitely.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
I love how Bethesda does not consider the Wii U a viable console for the new Elder Scrolls MMO.
"All 4 Systems, PC, Mac, PS3 and Xbox One".

Wait the Mac is a Gaming system now? Wait does this mean the Mac has more gamez than Xbone?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The Elder Scrolls MMO is starting to make me think it is going to run into the Age of Conan dilemma of having a bunch of players all supposedly being "destined" to be king of the Imperial city. They really should have thought about the story from a community perspective rather than from the sandbox gaming perspective...