The Escapist User's Guide to Posting Commands and How to do Fancy Code Stuff

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
IceForce said:
So okay, where is the OP? They haven't seemed to have taken any of the suggestions on board, (including a rather glaring spelling error).
Dude...he went offline to do offline people things!

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Barbas said:
...And if it's in spoilers, like we get told all embedded videos are supposed to be - in the CoC that people don't seem to read? I use auto-play sometimes because otherwise, you see the title and a freeze-frame from the video, which can spoil a certain part.
If you're that concerned about it, then why not just provide a link to the YouTube video? Not everything requires fancy-pants embeds.

By the way, do you want people to flag posts that have lots of large, unspoilered images in them or lots of unspoilered videos in them, or mention them in the Mod team chat?...Because I don't recall anyone mentioning what to do in that situation either and I'd rather ask now to avoid realizing, several months from now, that I've apparently been doing it wrong for several months.
It's explicitly stated in the CoC and is pretty obvious to see what's wrong in the report queue, so report it.

madwarper said:
I forgot, there's also the MtG card tag; [color][[/color]mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf] = [mtg_card=Wyluli Wolf]
Worth noting that this embed - along with some others that I can't remember right now - don't work inside spoilers.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Barbas said:
I use auto-play sometimes because otherwise, you see the title and a freeze-frame from the video, which can spoil a certain part.
You must understand though, some people like to see what the video actually is before it starts playing. Autoplay doesn't allow you to do this.

So I can see where people are coming from, who are against autoplay videos.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
IceForce said:
Zombie_Fish said:
I try to use a direct link for convenience's sake, at least in the cases where the point of the video isn't given away in the title. I can see why it would be annoying, especially when it has adverts playing at the beginning; it's actually quite like the difference between an auto-playing advert with sound and a silent one, and a lot of the potential annoyance depends on the video you are embedding, so I try not to go overboard with posting commands like that one.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
madwarper said:
What does "Code [http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode#code]" do exactly?
Code:
It makes the text which will actually appear in the post look like what it did when typing it in the text box.
madwarper said:
It might be useful to write their names next to the colors in black, since they're difficult to see against a white(ish) back round.
I don't really see a point in including certain colours in the list anyway, it's not like anyone would use them properly.
IceForce said:
Aerosteam said:
because this probably won't get stickied.
Why not?

The way I see it, this thread is a lot more useful than some of the other stickied threads they've got here.
Because it's just very unlikely and all the other posting command guides were never stickied. Probably might want to take it up to the Tech Team (I will later) if you think this thread deserves to get stickied. Action with this sort of stuff doesn't seem to ever be taken unless a good amount of people without the authority tell the people who do.
Caramel Frappe said:
Wait ... there's a command called 'strong'?
Yeah. Weird, no? What's even weirder is that strong doesn't seen to be any different from bold. See:
[strong]Aerosteam is the greatest.[/strong]
Aerosteam is the greatest.
IceForce said:
So okay, where is the OP? They haven't seemed to have taken any of the suggestions on board, (including a rather glaring spelling error).
Hey, I went to bed right after posting this guide!

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Aerosteam said:
Yeah. Weird, no? What's even weirder is that strong doesn't seen to be any different from bold. See:
[strong]Aerosteam is the greatest.[/strong]
Aerosteam is the greatest.
So, why include it at all?
If you're going to include that, you also have to include all the alternate tags for all the other things too.

i / em
s / strike
img / image
link / url
Oh, I didn't know these ones, I'll add them.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Aerosteam said:
Oh, I didn't know these ones, I'll add them.
Well, actually I was thinking it would be best to do the opposite, and remove any duplicates.

Otherwise you risk making the guide more complicated than it needs to be.
Yeah you're probably right.

At first I thought they were [em]maybe[/em] different in [em]some[/em] way, since I never knew bold was sometimes called strong.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
[HEADING=1][color]Fancy Code Stuff[/color][/HEADING]​
[hr]

Code:
[center[color=black]][/color][link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.386923-100-000th-view-wins[color=black]][/color][img[color=black]][/color]http://i.imgur.com/KVOfREq.gif[/img[color=black]][/color][/link[color=black]][/color][/center[color=black]][/color]
[hr][hr][HEADING=1]RAINBOWS[/HEADING]

Code:
[h1[color=black]][/color][color=red[color=black]][/color]R[/color[color=black]][/color][color=blue[color=black]][/color]A[/color[color=black]][/color][color=orange[color=black]][/color]I[/color[color=black]][/color][color=purple[color=black]][/color]N[/color[color=black]][/color][color=green[color=black]][/color]B[/color[color=black]][/color][color=pink[color=black]][/color]O[/color[color=black]][/color][color=yellow[color=black]][/color]W[/color[color=black]][/color][color=brown[color=black]][/color]S[/color[color=black]][/color] [color=grey[color=black]][/color][/color[color=black]][/color][/h1[color=black]][/color]
[hr][hr]
[img_inline src=http://cdn.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/badges/32/ef00f1deae19fd4e2e6a53b0354bc7a2.png]​
Burning Brightly
Was featured in an Escapist Community Spotlight
Code:
[quote[color]][/color][left[color]][/color][img_inline src=http://cdn.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/badges/32/ef00f1deae19fd4e2e6a53b0354bc7a2.png[color]][/color][/left[color]][/color][b[color]][/color]Burning Brightly[/b[color]][/color]
Was featured in an Escapist Community Spotlight[/quote[color]][/color]

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
If you want to embed YouTube videos without any annotations, add this command to the end of the YouTube code:

&iv_load_policy=3

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Barbas said:
If you want to embed YouTube videos without any annotations, add this command to the end of the YouTube code:

&iv_load_policy=3
Not sure why there's a command for that, since you can turn off annotations in the video pretty easily anyway. And most videos posted in these forums (not counting the very common "Post [blank] song" threads) are very short ones like this:

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Aerosteam said:
Barbas said:

&iv_load_policy=3
Not sure why there's a command for that, since you can turn off annotations in the video pretty easily anyway. And most videos posted in these forums (not counting the very common "Post [blank] song" threads) are very short ones like this:
Eh, makes it a little less faffy. Some of those videos do have transparent annotations plastered on the videos, so when people click on them to pause them, they get redirected. Like stealth adverts.

Basically, use in dire situations!

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
So I've added a couple of fancy code stuff, gonna add more eventually. If anyone else would like to share others that would be great.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Thanks to [user]Barbas[/user] for showing how to resize YouTube videos. Apparently It's not as hard as I thought. >_<

Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]4qsWFFuYZYI height=400 width=600[color[/MEDIA]][/color]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This was due for an overhaul although personally I think this should be stickied up front below the index.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Redlin5 said:
This was due for an overhaul although personally I think this should be stickied up front below the index.
Well, it's already in the index.

Wait... then how did you find this thread? Wait... do you mean this specific thread needs an overhaul? Wait... I don't even like anchovies.

I'm so confused.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Aerosteam said:
Redlin5 said:
Well, it's already in the index.

Wait... then how did you find this thread? Wait... do you mean this specific thread needs an overhaul? Wait... I don't even like anchovies.

I'm so confused.
I found it using the search bar to grab the old thread and this one popped up.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
There have been some changes made to the YouTube embed code following the switch to YouTube's latest API. I'm on my phone right now so I can't give details here, but see paulgruberman's post in the Tech Team group for more information about it.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Zombie_Fish said:
There have been some changes made to the YouTube embed code following the switch to YouTube's latest API. I'm on my phone right now so I can't give details here, but see paulgruberman's post in the Tech Team group for more information about it.
Hmm... either keep the old code where on computers we get both start and end features and mobile gets neither or move to the new code where both devices get start but neither get end.

I'll ask Paul about it.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Aerosteam said:
Zombie_Fish said:
Hmm... either keep the old code where on computers we get both start and end features and mobile gets neither or move to the new code where both devices get start but neither get end.

I'll ask Paul about it.
If you ask the Tech Team to add an end feature to the tag then they'll probably add it. Switching to the new API was a good thing to do anyway as the one that was being used before has now been declared deprecated by YouTube.