The Escapist User's Guide to Posting Commands and How to do Fancy Code Stuff

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Zombie_Fish said:
Aerosteam said:
Zombie_Fish said:
There have been some changes made to the YouTube embed code following the switch to YouTube's latest API. I'm on my phone right now so I can't give details here, but see paulgruberman's post in the Tech Team group for more information about it.
Hmm... either keep the old code where on computers we get both start and end features and mobile gets neither or move to the new code where both devices get start but neither get end.

I'll ask Paul about it.
If you ask the Tech Team to add an end feature to the tag then they'll probably add it. Switching to the new API was a good thing to do anyway as the one that was being used before has now been declared deprecated by YouTube.
It should work fine. The code is the same as it was last time (but a space instead of an ampersand, like the start function).

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
There's a really cool thing you can do with YouTube video resizing, and that's actually reducing its dimensions, just in case you don't want the video to be obstructive. Keeping the height at 30 pixels makes the embedding look like a music player!

Smallest it can be while keeping all functions:
Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]ei3-Qo9wHH4 height=30 width=290[color[/MEDIA]][/color]
[hr]

Mini version, and still be able to click the YouTube logo to go to the video's page:
Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]rbEBg7RU_SA height=30 width=107[color[/MEDIA]][/color]
[hr]

Smallest it can possibly be and have it still work:
Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]MkqSNS9va5k height=30 width=56[color[/MEDIA]][/color]
[hr]

A cool thing to use this in is some sort of role-playing threads we have here, it adds music to the thread while not make it look like crap.

Edit: Ugh, nevermind. YouTube changed their player so you can't do this anymore. -_-

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Anyone have any details on how to embed escapist native videos on the site?

the [ video=] tag seems to be recognised as... Something. But I can't seem to figure out how to direct it at any particular video on the site...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
CrystalShadow said:

the [ video=] tag seems to be recognised as... Something. But I can't seem to figure out how to direct it at any particular video on the site...
It used to be the ID of the video, e.g. this part

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/57480-Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-Review

However, it doesn't work any more. Dunno.

EDIT: Ignore that - it does work. I put this in and the latest Zero Punctuation was embedded

[video=57480]

Note that THE VIDEO PLAYS IMMEDIATELY.

EDIT 2: also - the video does not show up if you preview the post. Probably for the better, given that it would be very annoying

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
DoPo said:
CrystalShadow said:

It used to be the ID of the video, e.g. this part

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/57480-Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-Review

However, it doesn't work any more. Dunno.

EDIT: Ignore that - it does work. I put this in and the latest Zero Punctuation was embedded

[video=57480]

EDIT 2: also - the video does not show up if you preview the post. Probably for the better, given that it would be very annoying
IceForce said:
DoPo said:
[video=57480]

Just put the whole tag in spoilers, and that solves that problem.
Huh.
OK, that makes sense.
Also that it doesn't show up in previews also somewhat explains why it seemed so confusing.
Good to know.

[video="5498"]

This is... Oddly glitchy. Doesn't work for me at all, yet seems to work for some of you...
Very strange.

Update: Well, mystery solved, but that's one hell of an unfortunate combination.
1. Video autoplays.
2. Video doesn't show up in previews.
3. Video doesn't show up if you put it in a spoiler tag.

In other words, not much use unless you desperately want to drive people nuts.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
DoPo said:
[video=57480]

CrystalShadow said:
1. Video autoplays.

I found a solution to the problem. Put "autoplay=0" inside the video tag, after the video number. Like so:

[ video=57427 autoplay=0]

(Code shamelessly stolen from here, by quoting the opening post.)

Though it has to be said, it's really odd that "autoplay=0" isn't the default.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
IceForce said:
DoPo said:
[video=57480]

CrystalShadow said:
1. Video autoplays.

I found a solution to the problem. Put "autoplay=0" inside the video tag, after the video number. Like so:

[ video=57427 autoplay=0]

(Code shamelessly stolen from here, by quoting the opening post.)

Though it has to be said, it's really odd that "autoplay=0" isn't the default.
Yeah. No kidding. You'd think they wouldn't want the primary association people have with the site's videos is getting seriously irritated at them. XD
Thanks though. Worth knowing.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Very pleasant surprise! Only regret I have is not asking for this to get stickied more than a year ago. So, uh, thanks to everyone who helped do that and very welcome to everyone who thinks this is a useful guide.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Does this site accept, or is it planning to ever accept, html code in the comments?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Epyc Wyn said:
Does this site accept, or is it planning to ever accept, html code in the comments?
Technically it already does. Most of the codes that are explained in the OP are pretty much just basic html codes.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
WHAT??? I was not aware the site accepted plain html code thank you for telling me!

Generic NPC 22

The Most Generic of NPCs
Jul 12, 2012
Anyone know if there's an Elapsed Time counter? I see that there's a count down timer... I wonder.

[et]2:55 08/02/2014[/et]

[timer=08/02/2014 09:55 AM GMT]

Edit:
Well... ET doesn't work and timer using a past date doesn't work... blech

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Generic NPC 22 said:
Anyone know if there's an Elapsed Time counter? I see that there's a count down timer... I wonder.

Edit:
Here's the proper format for the countdown clock.
[ timer=04/17/2017 00:00 AM GMT]
It was literally the fifth section down in the OP. And of course it wont work on a date that's already passed as there's nothing to count down to.

Generic NPC 22

The Most Generic of NPCs
Jul 12, 2012
Fijiman said:
Generic NPC 22 said:

Edit:
Here's the proper format for the countdown clock.
[ timer=04/17/2017 00:00 AM GMT]
It was literally the fifth section down in the OP. And of course it wont work on a date that's already passed as there's nothing to count down to.
Well Mister Fiji,

I understand the format for the count down timer but I was actually testing to see if it could be used to measure elapsed time since a specific date and time. I've found some obscure references for [ et]Time and Date[ /et] but I guess Escapist just doesn't utilize it. Oh well... back to searching the internet.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Does anyone remember how to embed the interactive badges into posts? I need it for... reasons.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
vallorn said:
Does anyone remember how to embed the interactive badges into posts? I need it for... reasons.
Right-click your badge, select 'copy image address', then paste that url within the code with the url inbetween the quotes.

Also, you can exploit this by doing this to the badge on my profile that when you select it, causes this entire web page to spin.

davidmarty

Oct 5, 2017
I try to use a direct link for convenience's sake, at least in the cases where the point of the video isn't given away in the title. I can see why it would be annoying, especially when Mx Player download for pc it has adverts playing at the beginning; it's actually quite like the difference between an auto-playing advert with sound and a silent one, and a lot of the potential annoyance depends on the video you are embedding, so I try not to go overboard with posting commands like that one.

Ella Scott

Apr 13, 2018
Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial hotmail sign in