The Escapist - What made you stay?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I came to the site because of ZP. But I stayed because the forum rules make this place a really good place for debates and discussion as opposed to the shit flinging on the rest of the internet.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I originally joined for "I hit it with my Axe", then found ZP and EC. I've stuck around through the years because I enjoyed the forums and the content. I've slacked off as of late because I don't care for a lot of the current content (not that I have anything against these fine people, it just isn't my cup of tea) and the forums degraded into a lot of infighting that I have enough of in the real world (as opposed to my virtual life that was meant for entertainment).

I am not going to abandon the site no matter what they do, but if I only log on a couple times a month, you will know why.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Well, I have a lot of for respect the main site for demonstrating their editorial independence from the gamer-hating Politburo hivemind of "professional games journalism". Although I do wish they did moar of the bread-and-butter gaming stuff like reviewing games. I mean, there's all kinds of new content, some of it really entertaining... but they still haven't told me if a major release like Witcher 3 is any good. I needs to know! And I don't trust the competition to tell me that.

As for the forums, it's simple. They show enough respect for members not to silence their critical opinions or feel the need to shelter them from "subversive reactionaries". And yes, this is most obvious in the rare distinction of allowing discussion of the vital issues surrounding the Gamergate scandal and the protests it sparked. At the same time, they strive to maintain certain standards of discourse, which definitely appeals to my sense of propriety more than the wilderness of that uncensored chan. I know there is always a certain amount of controversy relating to the rules and their application. But The Escapist is in any case way, way above the standards set by the likes of Polygon, where perfectly civilized commentary is liable to mysteriously "disappear" at any time, with no notification whatsoever. (And in case you were wondering, not just overtly critical and political comments. Plainly stating the rather obvious fact that the Kinect functioned as surveillance tech was apparently intolerable to the sensibilities of the Junta. Wonder why that should be the case... )

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
I originally came thanks to Zero Punctuation, which should be no surprise to anyone, but the reason I'm staying? The people I know on the forums are nice, the RP's are good (While they're active), and the news articles are varied and interesting. The fact that the Mods are pretty good at their job help too, along with the simple and easy-to-remember basic rules of posting.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Full Frontal Nerdity, Critical Miss, Zero Punctuation and the occasional amusing thread that doesn't feature people bitching about Gamergate or SJW...

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Solid professionally laid out site.

Active community with diverse opinions.

lots and lots of shit to talk about.

Decent newsroom keeping me up to date.

Honestly is there a reason I should leave?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Usergroups and news. Usergroups are where I made my friends here and they're mostly the reason I keep coming back. A few have started coming less and less, but those left and the new ones easily make up for it. The news is nice too, as otherwise I'd be completely out of the loop when it comes to gaming news.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
*SIMPLE Bullet forum post incoming...*

- Came because of ZP, like most
- Enjoyed a lot of stuff from there, from the comics, articles, videos, reviews, to forums
- Stayed because of forums, decent moderation, clean layout and insightful members.
- Even though I hardly watch anything on the site anymore, even ZP sometimes (though I still love every episode I do watch)

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Because as much as portions of the userbase annoy me, this place still has the best community and the best moderation I have ever seen in a gaming/tech website.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
It's a free forum and it's work-safe. That and I used to be interested in Bob before he went full retard.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Habit. I didn't leave the first time there was a major, messed up controversy around here (2012).
The loss of lots of content around that time wasn't enough to get me to leave either.

And sure, there may be other forums around. Lots of them... But why would I actively hunt for one?
I came here originally because of the site contents, NOT the forums...

In spite all the changes over the years (some very much for the worse, in my personal opinion), this is still a decent gaming/ nerd culture site.

Besides, I know a lot of people here now. And that makes a huge difference.
Usergroups are awesome. XD

But seriously, I've been here 6 years...
Even when for several of those I found this place really dull.
If I haven't left by now, I probably won't any time soon.

Unless something drastic happens...

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I've been here for over half a decade, that's longer than I've ever stayed anywhere in real life, so it's hard for me to leave but sometimes I wonder if I should have done something to get closer to the people I thought I was going to be friend's with because I don't really talk to any of them anymore even though for a while they were the closest thing to friends that I had and it's kinda sad that I probably will never hear from any of them anymore, which is weird because I'm totally OK with that being the case with my real life friends.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Mr Baffle makes me log in here to witness his full glory. Nobody look him in the eyes, he hates that.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Came for zee Doomsday Arcade and Apocalypse Lane. Then sort of forum'd it. ZP is, meh ... I used to watch it because it was there, but I just find it unfunny. Lots of nice people here and I'll put my back out walking to another site given my advanced age.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I've gotten used to this site being the place to vent about completely meaningless things and I'm too lazy to lurk any other forums. Besides, I don't feel so passionately about videogames that I'd go "Hruumph, de discushun heer ees weak und of low qualität! Ah shalh leave hiah und go finden eine andere place ta vent um stuff, harumph!" I've been here long enough to feel like it's part of my life.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Eh, habit, mostly.
It kinda shocked me how easy it was to leave this place for a few weeks, during which I spent a looooot of time actually playing games, more than I used to when I was posting regularly.

I still come here for ZP mostly, but the forums I can take or leave.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
All the threads asking whether or not something is sexist and Gamergate (I still can't believe that's a thing). Nah, I'm just fuckin' with ya.

I stayed for the Jimquisition originally. Now... I just pop in now & then.