The Escapist's Final Fantasy Cosplay Gallery

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
John Funk said:
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Pretty sure the girl next to Lightning on page 19 is Paine, from Final Fantasy X-2...

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/ff10-2-paine.html
Could be. On the other hand, given the number of silver-haired characters wearing black leather in JRPGs? :p
You're both wrong. Hell, The Escapist has REPORTED about the damn game! It's Noctis from Versus XIII! Sheesh..

Paine certainly doesn't have a black leather coat. Noctis does.

If anything, Paine has more of the same features as Squall, except for the woolly jacket.

ravensshade said:
i am saddened by the lack of FF IX costumes but never the less awesome job
Funny you mention that, because at this year's Supanova Perth in Australia, there was a cloth Quina suit. And it was awesome.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
I'm pretty sure Page 19's silver haired person is the new protagonist in Final Fantasy Versus XIII. You know, that game no-one has heard from or seen gameplay of? The game that's holding up Kingdom Hearts 3? That one.
Um.. Your logic seems to be flawed, considering the team that designs the Kingdom Hearts games is NOT the same team working on most Final Fantasy series games. It's just priorities and whatever's finished first will be.. Finished first. Birth by Sleep was only a few months ago now, sheesh..

As for gameplay of Versus XIII, I'm guessing you haven't read any game news from Kotaku, etc or.. Well.. Most other gaming sites? Gameplay video was shown at TGS 2010, but obviously The Escapist and its overall community, being the avid JRPG-haters that they are, don't mention it because it just leads to constant bitching or ridicule. I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of "unbiased news" at all..

Versus XIII is open world, Noctis can be seen running around, fighting a Behemoth and jumping down from ledges. I'm sure the "world map" is all built into it and you can explore quite well.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
MattAn24 said:
John Funk said:
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Pretty sure the girl next to Lightning on page 19 is Paine, from Final Fantasy X-2...

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/ff10-2-paine.html
Could be. On the other hand, given the number of silver-haired characters wearing black leather in JRPGs? :p
You're both wrong. Hell, The Escapist has REPORTED about the damn game! It's Noctis from Versus XIII! Sheesh..

If anything, Paine has more of the same features as Squall, except for the woolly jacket.

ravensshade said:
i am saddened by the lack of FF IX costumes but never the less awesome job
Funny you mention that, because at this year's Supanova Perth in Australia, there was a cloth Quina suit. And it was awesome.
Noctis' hair always looked darker to me.

And yes, we're such JRPG haters that we just ran an issue all about them, as well as a timeline and cosplay gallery for the FF series. Man, we hate JRPGs ;)

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
The Shiva one was stunning. The last Tifa and Auron were awesome too but damn the Shiva one takes the cake.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Lots of fantastic work.
this Ger T chick apparently has gobs of time and money on her hands... damn. Wish I could have that much freedom.

Senmurv

Senmurvian Royalty
Mar 5, 2008
fletch_talon said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

This is actually just the main cast from 8-Bit Theater, methinks.

Except for the penguin.

That would explain the lack of Black Belt, as he's a very minor character.

Or it could just be FF1. I'm happy either way!
Yeah I'd say 8BT was the intention here. And Blackbelt wasn't just minor, he was dead, for good, no take backsies.
LOL, Hi-- this is the Red Mage from the group . . . and a LOT of people thought we were doing 8-bit theater but . . . no. We were actually going for FF1 there and legitimately couldn't get a Black Belt.

We kept cracking up because Molly (our Black Mage) had NO idea why she was so popular until we showed her some 8 bit theater . . .

Besides-- who could do 8 Bit Theater cosplay without Swordchucks?

--Elizabeth Dedman

AKA

--Senmurv

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
MattAn24 said:
Jack and Calumon said:
I'm pretty sure Page 19's silver haired person is the new protagonist in Final Fantasy Versus XIII. You know, that game no-one has heard from or seen gameplay of? The game that's holding up Kingdom Hearts 3? That one.
Um.. Your logic seems to be flawed, considering the team that designs the Kingdom Hearts games is NOT the same team working on most Final Fantasy series games. It's just priorities and whatever's finished first will be.. Finished first. Birth by Sleep was only a few months ago now, sheesh..
Article explaining stuff

The Kingdom Hearts creator Tetsuya Nomura is working on Versus XIII now and there was another part of Square working on Birth By Sleep (which is a fantastic game by the way, if anyone reads this). I am aware of how old this article is though.

MattAn24 said:
As for gameplay of Versus XIII, I'm guessing you haven't read any game news from Kotaku, etc or.. Well.. Most other gaming sites? Gameplay video was shown at TGS 2010, but obviously The Escapist and its overall community, being the avid JRPG-haters that they are, don't mention it because it just leads to constant bitching or ridicule. I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of "unbiased news" at all..

Versus XIII is open world, Noctis can be seen running around, fighting a Behemoth and jumping down from ledges. I'm sure the "world map" is all built into it and you can explore quite well.
I haven't seen anything, despite looking at Joystiq and The Escapist, and sweeping statements much? Quite alot of people on The Escapist like J-RPG's including myself as evidenced in this Cosplay Gallery which had Escapist Peeps wandering in and dressing up as their favourite or any Final Fantasy characters, and don't get me started on the people who liked TWEWY and Kingdom Hearts. Also Pokemon counts so that probably quite a lot of the people on The Escapist, excluding the trolls.

Calumon: I haven't finished the second one yet... I haven't even seen a big key! :O

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
No Alodia? FOR SHAME!

Never has a black mage looked so cute.

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
Props to the FFT chemist, and FFV Renna for originality alone. The Auron and Shadow ones were pretty good, too.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Maybe I could cosplay too...You know if anyone in any video game was Brown.

OT: Nice costumes. Lol at the fact that one of them had a girl dressed as Tightass Titus and it looked exactly the same.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
John Funk said:
MattAn24 said:

And yes, we're such JRPG haters that we just ran an issue all about them, as well as a timeline and cosplay gallery for the FF series. Man, we hate JRPGs ;)
Really..? The timeline wasn't exactly well received by the community. It lacked crucial moments. The magazine issue was also expected to be primarily a JRPG-bashing and add fuel to the fire of trolls who hate JRPGs to brag about how unbelievably awesome WRPGs are.

Hell, the only game that keeps getting referenced is VII, which is just sad. People often say they like FFVI too, but if we look at The Escapist's timeline, FFIII's logo was actually "FFVI", so no one could find the original FFIII logo? Huh. It's commonly known that people who either don't care for the series or don't have much interest in it continue to get the two wrong. VI is not III. III is III. Just because the US got VI as "Final Fantasy III", it just means the US was much later to the franchise.

Oh, and let's not forget the constant crap about "spiky hair and giant swords".. It's not like WRPGs don't have these SAME EXACT TRAITS either! Please stop with the so-called "jokes". It's beginning to look a lot like Yahtzee all over the Escapist. And it's not pretty.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
MattAn24 said:
Jack and Calumon said:
The team that did Birth By Sleep were actually a different team than the other Kingdom Hearts games, if I remember correctly the original Kingdom Hearts team ARE working on Versus XIII before they start Kingdom Hearts 3 but there will be another Kingdom Hearts before 3 comes out too, well ok, two more, Re:Coded and another one shown in the secret video for BBS.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
My heart fills with sadness that this contains no FF9 love. A Zidane cosplay would be cool, and I've seen one before that is pretty cool.

Erazor521

Dec 7, 2008
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
My heart fills with sadness that this contains no FF9 love. A Zidane cosplay would be cool, and I've seen one before that is pretty cool.
So true.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
MattAn24 said:
John Funk said:
MattAn24 said:

Really..? The timeline wasn't exactly well received by the community. It lacked crucial moments. The magazine issue was also expected to be primarily a JRPG-bashing and add fuel to the fire of trolls who hate JRPGs to brag about how unbelievably awesome WRPGs are.

Hell, the only game that keeps getting referenced is VII, which is just sad. People often say they like FFVI too, but if we look at The Escapist's timeline, FFIII's logo was actually "FFVI", so no one could find the original FFIII logo? Huh. It's commonly known that people who either don't care for the series or don't have much interest in it continue to get the two wrong. VI is not III. III is III. Just because the US got VI as "Final Fantasy III", it just means the US was much later to the franchise.

Oh, and let's not forget the constant crap about "spiky hair and giant swords".. It's not like WRPGs don't have these SAME EXACT TRAITS either! Please stop with the so-called "jokes". It's beginning to look a lot like Yahtzee all over the Escapist. And it's not pretty.
If you're determined to see bias in the littlest things like jokes, then go right ahead since I can't stop you. But saying that we don't enjoy JRPGs when games like FF6 and Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, SMRPG etc. are all some of the favorite games of the staff is kind of silly.

Integra4000

Aug 25, 2010

If the Escapist can't recognise that the chick on the left is cosplaying as Noctis, then I am sorely disappointed.

Edit: WHOOPS, didn't see the posts already talking about it. :p