The Escapist's Game of the Year

Pumpkinmancer

The Pumpkin is our salvation!
Sep 20, 2010
Red Dead Redemption, really? Pah, fine, if we have to have something why not the lesser evil. It would have been nice to see the winner be, "Nothing!" since nothing deserved it. 2010 was a terrible year for video games, seriously.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
The amount of hate and "I'm glad ____ didn't win" here really REALLY bothers me.

With that out of the way I'm glad Red Dead won. Like I said earlier all games nominated deserve the spot and all the credit they earned. But with RDR I heard many positive things about it from the gameplay, to the voice acting, and even the setting. Its good to see that it won.

I personally consider Halo: Reach my GOTY. A great singleplayer with fun and addictive multiplayer. AC: Brotherhood and Black Ops would be my runner ups for similar reasons.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I haven't played this game yet,(darn you Rockstar and your console favoritism!) but everything I hear from those who have played it make it to be quite worthy of this reward.
I hope I can scoop it up when it finally comes to PC. It's about time a good western game was made.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I'm rather disappointed that Grand Theft Horse Red Dead Redemption won. It's just their earlier games all over again with more sand, and horses instead of cars. And if a publisher can't be bothered releasing their big title of the year on PC as well then I don't think they should be in the running for GOTY at all.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
I absolutely concur. There were a lot of great games this year, but RDR is the most unique, engaging, well-written, well-acted, and gorram fun of all of them.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
I'm rather disappointed that Grand Theft Horse Red Dead Redemption won. It's just their earlier games all over again with more sand, and horses instead of cars. And if a publisher can't be bothered releasing their big title of the year on PC as well then I don't think they should be in the running for GOTY at all.
I'm amused, if not surprised. "Red Dead Redemption is Grand Theft Auto with horses"? I really think that this statement disregards a great deal of the polish and the differences in the gameplay.

I mean, we could be running into other horses on the road but instead they sort of blend past a direct collision, unlike in GTA - the feel of riding is VERY different to driving. Even the carriages in RDR operate very differently from the cars in GTA.

Not to mention that the main character was more honourable and had the chance to be a hero instead of a sleazeball (which is, for Rockstar, almost a new thing), the terrain was just too drastically different from a cityscape to be rendered in the same way, and the music was very appropriate and naturally sparse - the parallel opposite to the blaring radio of the many iterations of GTA.

Considering all this, I can't really see how you came to your conclusion, but suit yourself I guess.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Eh, mine is still Super Meat Boy. Very few games can claim the "SL33T Played This For 11 Hours Straight" award. The fact that I keep playing that game after thousands of deaths is a testimony to the great design in that game.

Rararaz

Feb 20, 2010
Fair enough, I can see why this has got the title. I didn't get on with it personally but could still see that it was a good game. Think that some people may be going a bit over the top though, just as some are doing down way too much.

FarmerMonkey

Mar 31, 2010
Calling RDR a "bad" game is trolling or a cry for attention. You may have liked another game better, but any rational gamer can acknowledge the high quality of the graphics, design, voice-acting, etc. It's just not your genre preference. Get a grip.

Jury's still out for me. I'm too busy to play all the games from 2010 in 2010, so I'm still getting caught up. If I chose my top game from 2010 right now, it'd be ME2, but I'm only about 3 hours into RDR, and haven't taken the plastic off of New Vegas yet.

ME2 (argument for) - Character development, thought-provoking story choices, non-trivial impact of previous save file on new game's story, great dialogue, voice acting and story, RPG minus "the grind"

ME2 (argument against) - Awful resource mining mini-game, boring leveling--weapon selection/skill upgrades, still mediocre controls for cover-based 3rd person shooter (not quite as tight as say, Gears of War franchise)

ConfusedCrib

Oct 30, 2008
I don't understand how every review of StarCraft 2 says "this game will be being played for the next 10 years, super competitive, balanced, great game will be played until the next one." and then it never gets GotY, it just seems like non-rts bias to me

Snoodles

Jan 21, 2011
I like RDR but it is not goty to me. I hate the save and quick travel mechanics. No quick saves before starting a mission there.

ME2 or Fallout NV were better in my opinion.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
latenightapplepie said:
A worthy winner. A game I enjoyed a great deal.
I agree, this sums me up as well.

It's also a nearly untapped resource setting wise in video games for this day and age. Gun and Red Dead Revolver are about the only ones I can think of these days that people may have played. So it was a nice fresh non-overused setting.

ConfusedCrib said:
I don't understand how every review of StarCraft 2 says "this game will be being played for the next 10 years, super competitive, balanced, great game will be played until the next one." and then it never gets GotY, it just seems like non-rts bias to me
I have noticed the strategy whether it be real time or no, basically never gets considered. Especially with shows like the VGA etc.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Liked that Fallout: New Vegas made the finalists, but as much as I love that game, it's far too buggy to be GotY. When I have to time my gameplay based on when (not if) the next time the game will crash, there's a problem.

goddz001

Aug 5, 2009
i think there should of been a best AAA game of the year and another for best indie game of the year.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
As fun as GTV IV in the Wild west Red Dead Redemption was to be honest it makes me sad that this is what anyone would think of as the best game of 2010. A week after complete all I remember of it is the ending was disappointing. As I said I liked the game, but to consider it the ?best? game of 2010 just seems sad. And if it really is the best game, well that?s even sadder?

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Well... I can't say I'm surprised, since Red Dead Redemption was an obvious favorite amongst the Escapist staff. Still, choosing the Game of the Year is never an objective excercise, no matter how much it is dressed up in fuddled language. You can have Red Dead as your GotY, no problem.

But - Mass Effect 2 was the better game and the TRUE GotY.