The Escapist's Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2016

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
The Escapist's Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2016

Our readers voted for their favorite game of 2016. Here's how the vote turned out.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I feel like I've missed something.

What happen to that hug bracket thing?

Did I miss it, or was it canceled?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, was there a vote or something on this? Cause I can't really remember Uncharted being talked about at all on this site, unless I missed a voting thing or something. I have no idea how it would have beaten Doom since it seems like this site is mostly made of pc gamers. That's not even mentioning how it somehow beat Dark Souls 3.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Worgen said:
Yeah, was there a vote or something on this? Cause I can't really remember Uncharted being talked about at all on this site, unless I missed a voting thing or something. I have no idea how it would have beaten Doom since it seems like this site is mostly made of pc gamers. That's not even mentioning how it somehow beat Dark Souls 3.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.945412-Poll-The-Escapists-2016-Readers-Choice-GOTY-Voting-Thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.945412-Poll-The-Escapists-2016-Readers-Choice-GOTY-Voting-Thread
Oh... wow those are some small voting numbers, that also don't match up. Doom should have been first since it had 16 votes, Dark Souls 3 had 14 so it should have been second, uncharted 4 only had 13.

... Wait, how was battlefield 1 even nominated?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Worgen said:
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
Oh... wow those are some small voting numbers, that also don't match up. Doom should have been first since it had 16 votes, Dark Souls 3 had 14 so it should have been second, uncharted 4 only had 13.

As one person pointed out, it being stickied possibly made it go unnoticed by people, and only it being unstickied, and advertised by this announcement, more people noticed. Im guessing that Uncharted 4 had more votes when the polls were "closed".

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
Saelune said:
Worgen said:

As one person pointed out, it being stickied possibly made it go unnoticed by people, and only it being unstickied, and advertised by this announcement, more people noticed. Im guessing that Uncharted 4 had more votes when the polls were "closed".
I could've sworn Doom had 13 before Uncharted even had 10 when I threw mine in. I don't really care (as like numerous others in the thread, I basically would've done an Other vote if it was an option), but they took a pretty slim period of a snapshot to eke out a win rather then letting something actually pull out to a dominant run.

Battlefield just got on there because why not, its everywhere else, including near-perpetually auto-playing before the stream on Escapists front page starts. Or maybe the field only included Reviewed games (which have been a drought basically, made obvious in the holiday season)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Seth Carter said:
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
Saelune said:
Worgen said:

I could've sworn Doom had 13 before Uncharted even had 10 when I threw mine in. I don't really care (as like numerous others in the thread, I basically would've done an Other vote if it was an option), but they took a pretty slim period of a snapshot to eke out a win rather then letting something actually pull out to a dominant run.

Battlefield just got on there because why not, its everywhere else, including near-perpetually auto-playing before the stream on Escapists front page starts. Or maybe the field only included Reviewed games (which have been a drought basically, made obvious in the holiday season)
Battlefield 1 is the only game on the list that I actually played any real amount of. Really though, it was a meh list. Should have just said fuck it and pick Skyrim.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Saelune said:
Seth Carter said:
Battlefield 1 is the only game on the list that I actually played any real amount of. Really though, it was a meh list. Should have just said fuck it and pick Skyrim.
Yeah, the list was kind of bland. I'd played most of them, but didn't really feel much to say on any of them. Battlefield, Dark Souls, Deus Ex were all just "Well more of the same" titles. Doom was a solid throwback, but the multiplayer garbage kind of knocks it off where I'd peg a GOTY at. Darkest Dungeon was just piddled away to near zero interest by the Early Access slog for me, by the time it was "released" it was a stale 2-3 year old game. Overwatch was content anemic, has the ripoff loot system (and pricing scams), and felt like some unfinished remnant Blizzard couged out of their abandoned project. If I'd played Uncharted, I'd guess it would fit comfortably in that "More of the same crew".

I went with Dishonored 2 for my own pick, which is still a bit of the "more of the same", but did have a sizable expansion and refinement over its predecessor.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Doom was game of the year? Makes sense, it's an amazing game absolutely worthy of the title. Congratulations to id on the big win.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
Doom was game of the year? Makes sense, it's an amazing game absolutely worthy of the title. Congratulations to id on the big win.
Uncharted 4 won, Doom was the runner-up.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Xan Krieger said:
Uncharted 4 won "Game Nobody Played", Doom won "Game of the Year"

edit: Sorry if I sound agitated, just had a political fight. Doom won, that's all there is to be said.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Xan Krieger said:
Uncharted 4 sold 2.7 million copies on its first week alone. That's 2.7 million more than "nobody", though there is that one chance none of them were actually played. In which case... Doom is still 2016 Reader's Choice Game of the Year Runner-Up, because that's the Game that Readers Chose. After Uncharted 4.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Xan Krieger said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Xan Krieger said:
Uncharted 4 sold 2.7 million copies on its first week alone. That's 2.7 million more than "nobody", though there is that one chance none of them were actually played. In which case... Doom is still 2016 Reader's Choice Game of the Year Runner-Up, because that's the Game that Readers Chose. After Uncharted 4.
Read my edit, Doom is the Game of the Year. That should cover everything.

edit: between this and Facebook I'm close to a full autistic meltdown, can we please stop? I'm already getting overheated in real life which is a sign my temper is kicking off.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Tanis said:
I feel like I've missed something.

What happen to that hug bracket thing?

Did I miss it, or was it canceled?
Are you thinking of March Mayhem [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140153-Voting-Begins-for-The-Escapists-March-Mayhem-2015]? I don't ever recall Game of the Year getting the big playoff bracket thingy.

March Mayhem got canceled this year and will likely never drown the forum in fanboy tears again.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Saelune said:
Worgen said:
Saelune said:
Worgen said:

I certainly didn't notice it until this article popped up, else I would have voted for Dark Souls 3. :(

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well this is certainly going to ruffle some feathers of the community. But ruffled feathers do look rather amusing in some lights. Didn't see this voting option at all. Not a problem, was a fine adventure with a tied up ending. I hardly remember any particular part of doom. Just a haze of red, brown and bang-bang giblet melee kills, with possibly the bad guy from Avengers 2 whispering sweet gravelly nothings in my ear continuously. And hell was fairly uninspiring to be honest. Maybe I just expect too much from a dimension of pure evil.