The Fallout 4 Intro Is A Mess

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
That deathclaw leaped out of his hole, took a couple of hydraulic punches to the face (I misplaced my minigun, it's a long story) and then climbed back into his sewer and stayed there until I finished with the raiders.

Like a good little *****.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Zhukov said:
I thought this was going to be about the very start of the game.

"Here is you family. You will see them for five minutes."
"You love them. Because we say you do."
"Oh no! Kidnapped! You care! Because we say you do!"
"Go fetch!"

I realise they were just trying to hurry up and get to the wasteland walkabouts that players are actually there for, but that still felt like a encapsulated sample of everything wrong with storytelling in games.
Yeah, I thought even Fallout 3 kind of rushed the relationship building with your father for it being the main impetus for your character to actually go out, but this one takes the cake. There's more dialogue with Codsworth then with your spouse in the intro, and a good chunk of it is just hysterical screaming as the bombs drop. It's entirely reliant on you embracing the concept of the outrage, rather then caring about the characters specifically.

Then other then brief options with Codsworth, and scattered one-off references in other dialogues, your character just goes into business-as-usual mode and turns into a Wasteland Warrior/City Planner. Which barely makes sense with the male being former army, and seems utterly nonsensical with the female lawyer (they couldn't have hypothetically covered bases by having her be a town councillor or something even to make a more justified community leader)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
IceForce said:
Vault101 said:
Yeah, I must say I don't really 'get' it when people say they're having difficulty RP-ing in FO4, due to the established back-story..
Yeah I guess some people prefer a blank slate, which I get in theory but my issue is I. Can't work with nothing, I need my charachter to exist and be ackowlwdged within the game world they need to feel a part of it and not a walking vessel

It's the same thing I've said before, I can be "anything" sure but it's meaningless if the game world doesn't acknowledge me

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
[
head-cannon is one hell of a drug
Y'know what's funny? When I realised during character creation that the player character is married somewhere in the back of my head I was thinking, "Oh man, Vault101 from the Escapist forums is going to hate that."
Heh...well it's nice to be remembered XD

I'm actually surprised how ok with it I am, for me it works

Oh and I thought she sounded familiar, I think it also helps that the protagonists VA really good her sarcastic demeanour seems to fit the whole situation, that said though as mentioned above a 50's housewife thrust into the world of fallout would have been something really cool to explore, but the protag comes a across as perhaps a little too chill about the whole situation

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Oh, was that the intro? Cause I skipped all that. As soon as I emerged from the vault I turned around jumped on a broken car and over the chain link fence and never looked back. I still found a full suit of power armor and a minigun with about 500 rounds within the first 20 minutes of emerging from the vault...

I thought the pre-war intro was completely retarded though, forcing a backstory I didn't want onto my psychopathic ghoul raider.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I think Shamus was a little too gentle on Preston. The biggest problem with him is really the Minutemen. They feel rushed and unfinished. They were clearly supposed to be the good guys. The FO4 equivalent to the NCR Rangers. The side all the good Karma type players would go for. But then Bethesda poured all their resources into the BOS storyline and quest chains and left the Minutemen with literally nothing more than milquetoast Preston giving you constant pointless busywork grind quests. Heck as near as I can figure out to even trigger the Minutemen ending series you pretty much need to go on a bloody murder spree that is wholly inconsistent with the Minuteman player. (Really how does one get kicked out of the Institute that does not involve a spray of random bullets?) it feels like they never finished the Minutemen story and just bolted on the Minecraft err Settlements to try and paper over it.