The Fallout: New Vegas "Comprehensive Patch" is Oh-So-Close

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Fallout: New Vegas "Comprehensive Patch" is Oh-So-Close

The big "comprehensive patch" for Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Collectors-Pc/dp/B003N0YCDA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1291665281&sr=8-4] that Bethesda announced a month ago is finally on the verge of release.

Back in November, "comprehensive" patch [http://www.bethsoft.com] for the notoriously bug-ridden Fallout: New Vegas on all platforms. Specifics about what it would fix weren't touched on but given that you could pretty much close your eyes, throw a rock and hit a bug, it's fair to say that expectations were high.

The following day, an "incremental" patch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105142-Fallout-New-Vegas-Incremental-Update-Goes-Live-on-Steam] went live on Steam, fixing more than a dozen pronounced problems with the PC edition of the game, but Bethesda took pains to remind everyone that this was not the big one. And then it went silent.

I can't speak for anyone else but I was starting to get a little worried that maybe the guys had quietly slipped out the back door while I stood around waiting to open my copy of New Vegas, but today Bethesda calmed my nerves with a soothing tweet [http://twitter.com/Fallout/status/11794763531419649]. "We've wrapped up work on the Fallout: New Vegas patch and submitted it," the studio wrote. "We'll let you know when it's up on PS3, 360, and Steam."

It's a bit short on details, but it's good to know that the wheels are in fact still turning. We'll update with a firm date when we get one; in the meantime, keep your eyes peeled!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sweet. Hoping to get a copy on Christmas, so it'd be nice if the game was in working order before then.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Meh, I did two full playthroughs without any bugs, so I don't really care either way. However, I do hope this helps the people who have been unable to play the game properly due to bugs. I had that problem with Fallout 3 (the game would crash after 5 minutes), so I know how annoying not being able to play a game sitting on your computer can be...

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I'm waiting to buy this game until after i hear that it's been fixed. I hope the escapist (or someone) does a re-review of the game post-patch.

Kashim117

Jun 12, 2010
The only problems I had was with the companions upsetting certain tribes but they couldn't attack each other as the companions seem to share your standing with said tribe.
That and Brahmin going insane and attacking people, but that adds to the hilarity of the game imo.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
So, PC patch goes live tomorrow, console patches some point this week, most likely.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Delusibeta said:
So, PC patch goes live tomorrow, console patches some point this week, most likely.
Which means tomorrow is most likely the day that I will buy this game.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
I highly doubt that this patch will be comprehensive. The modding communities for Oblivion took several years to comprehensively patch everything that was wrong with Oblivion, and by the sound of it New Vegas is much more buggy than Oblivion ever was.
A step in the right direction though: should give the modders less work to do to fix it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
coldfrog said:
Delusibeta said:
Which means tomorrow is most likely the day that I will buy this game.
Shame that you missed out on the insane deals of black friday, I mean $26 for New Vegas, bugs or no bugs it is easily worth that. Have fun paying $50+ now.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Finally... about damn time. Now I can do the game agin and not have to switch off all the autosaves.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
All that's important to me is that it's out before Christmas, bee saving it until then and I seriously cannot wait for it

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
If it fixes friendly AI randomly hating and attacking me and unexpected interface color shift (not a real issue in itself, but the possible causes concern me), then I will thank them.

Seriously, has anyone else been randomly attacked by friendly AI? Ringo hates me despite helping him earlier, getting along with him for a good bit, and my not wearing faction armor. It gets worse when it also makes the NCR hate you (and they liked me before) and deletes your reputation with the Caesars Legion and the NCR.

Needless to say, I really want this patch to work.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I get the weird feeling that next year I'll see the escapist post "New Vegas Comprehensive Patch Promised 'Soon'".

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
THey really should've just friggen waited to release this game. Get it finished next time!

Though I have enjoyed the game, I certainly cannot claim to enjoy the "longer you play, the longer the load screen" game it likes to play with me.

Crobarman11

Apr 3, 2010
The game runs fine if your on the PC that is i played through the game twice once without any patches and another with that small patch. Only one major crash and a bunch of little ones when closing the game. With any PC game you will have to work to get it to work lol. New Vegas makes up for the trouble with great story and game play. Don't wait go get now!