The Fallout

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I was kinda under the impression that people were blaming that particular fiasco on Valve more than Bethesda.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
get ready to start off with paid mods for FO4. I think the main reason (other than the crappy cut of the profits the mod maker got) it was a roaring disaster was that they did it on an established game with a number of years of free mods already.

With FO4 they can start 'fresh' with paid mods from day 1 but whether it'll be a success will depend on the greed of Bethesda and Valve if they can make the split of the profit more fair to the mod maker.

(for the record I'm not really for paid fan mods)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I was under the impression that most of the rage over the paid mod thing was directed at Valve not Bethesda.

Jan 12, 2012
The only thing worse than the paid mods are all the doomsayers announcing that paid mods are going to be in Fallout 4 based on nothing in particular. They've got literally no basis for this announcement, but they'll be announcing that the next Bethesda game will have paid mods until the end of time or they are proven right.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
I thought it was an amusing observation at first, but then I remembered we're supposed to judge things according to Party Lines now. And since I am doctrinally opposed to depictions of gamers as zombie-like hordes, I now vehemently disapprove.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Good choice of timing, Bethesda!

I wonder if there's a shred of truth to this comic. xD

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
The only thing worse than the paid mods are all the doomsayers announcing that paid mods are going to be in Fallout 4 based on nothing in particular. They've got literally no basis for this announcement, but they'll be announcing that the next Bethesda game will have paid mods until the end of time or they are proven right.
I won't say they are going to have paid mods for Fallout 4, but I am more receptive of them with a new game then shoehorning it into Skyrim.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Wow. It didn't occur to me that this might have been the best damage control the game industry had ever pulled off. It would also go a long way to explain the thoroughly unpolished reveal trailer we got.

Clever. Very clever, Bethesda.

Valve must be planning something big that they expect to go very wrong in the future. It would explain why they're holding out on Half Life 3 for so long. It's their last line of defense.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
So, now we're afraid that Fallout 4 will have a paid mod structure from the start, which we think will happen because... It was widely regarded as a much better idea than creating one post facto? Hrm.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Jaeger_CDN said:
get ready to start off with paid mods for FO4. I think the main reason (other than the crappy cut of the profits the mod maker got) it was a roaring disaster was that they did it on an established game with a number of years of free mods already.

With FO4 they can start 'fresh' with paid mods from day 1 but whether it'll be a success will depend on the greed of Bethesda and Valve if they can make the split of the profit more fair to the mod maker.

(for the record I'm not really for paid fan mods)
This is exactly what I was thinking. I was pissed at both companies, and given their pr spin when they killed paid mods pretty much blamed it on how well established the skyrim community was as opposed to how awful the idea was to begin with, I suspect they'll be trying it again from the start for a new game.

I don't think it's a coincidence that they tried it with skyrim what is likely only a few months before fallout 4 releases. I'm actually still pissed about the paid mods thing, so if this is damage control it totally didn't work for me.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Am I the only to notice that this was clearly a "Gamers are un-Dead" comic?

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
I found the comic quite entertaining, that's what matters.

As for the paid mods: everyone's acting as if Bethesda or Valve have a way of shutting down Nexus. I don't think that's the case and seeing that lot of the outrage came from long-time modders I don't see them flocking to any paid mods program any time soon.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Replace the Bethesda logo on the shirts with Valve's and the Fallout 4 box with a manual reading "refund policy" and you've got another whole comic that works just as well.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Can't wait for the redo of this strip in the distant future.

Replace Bethesda with Valve and replace Fallout 4 with Half-Life 3.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Bethesda is not going be stupid enough to announce on the day of the FO4 reveal that paid fan made mods are on the table.

Hell, even during the whole skyrim fiasco, even Lord Gaben was surprised of the whole backlash [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140590-Valve-Boss-Addresses-Paid-Skyrim-Mods-Furor] and even when Valve shut it down they never specifically said it wouldn't be coming back. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140608-Valve-Ends-Paid-Mod-Program-On-Steam-Workshop]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
UberPubert said:
This is the worst idea ever; now they're just going to piss off the Fallout fans.
Only if the game is as rushed as the trailer. I mean, come on... Bethesda never releases buggy products...

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I love the implication that Bethesda's R&D studies its fans more than new technology.