The Fat Nerd Stereotype

DSEZ

Aug 8, 2009
Im into bodybuilding and i wrestle at 171 weight class and i play lacrosse

i can currently dead lift 290,Bench 225,squat i have no clue

hoping to get the deadlift to 325 before the end of the year and bench i want to get it to 250 by the end of the summer

and im runnin a marathon in may

btw did i mention im 16?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I'm 6'3", and somewhere between 14 and 15 stone. It's been ages since I checked.

So I'm not hugely out of shape, given my height.

Woo for being tall. MOAR DOUGHNUTS FOR ME! :D

Javelk

Nov 18, 2009
150lb 5ft 6in, thin black-belt. All it really takes to be somewhat fit in life is to go walking a couple times a week. You know, outside not just to the fridge.

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
MystryMeet said:
According to the BMI I'm overweight borderline obese for my height--I'm 5'1" (OH GOD WHY!?) and around 65 kg but I bench press 70 kg and run a mile in 7 minutes...I don't know where that leaves me because most guys my age are taller and lift less and are slower...WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME?!
BMI is inaccurate at best, it doesn't take into account muscle density, by the sounds of you you're fine but if you are worried then calculate your waist-to-hip ratio, it's a much more accurate way to see how your body is fairing.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I'm the average weight for my age and run cross country and track. So no I guess I'm not part of that stereotype.

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
MystryMeet said:
According to the BMI I'm overweight borderline obese for my height--I'm 5'1" (OH GOD WHY!?) and around 65 kg but I bench press 70 kg and run a mile in 7 minutes...I don't know where that leaves me because most guys my age are taller and lift less and are slower...WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME?!
Hats off man, anyone who can bench more than their bodyweight should be proud. I'm 235lb and can only bench 190lb, but I'm hoping to bench my bodyweight by the fall.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
It leaves you as awesome, good sir.
I however, am rather large. I'm around 100kg, though that fluctuates wildly at times. I'm trying to lose some fat, though I don't much care about my weight. Not sure how tall I am; probably about the six foot mark. I do Judo and Taekwon-Do, have played Rugby and done Kung Fu as well. I don't eat too well, pretty shit unhealthily tbh, but I am one hella geek/nerd/whatever you're gonna call it. I'm prolly both.
Thank you good siiir! haha but that doesn't seem like an all to bad weight for your height and the sports you do. Awww I wanted to play rugby but the team I was on was full of Samoans, Polys, and other big people...If I had the ball they would carry me then throw me... since we were never playing any official games...
I'm a hardcore gamer--my family talks amongst themselves thinking up ideas on how to get me away from my xbox...-_- Wow--a nerd who does kung fu and rugby--awesome
Why thank you. I'm a kind of awesome guy. ;) You sound pretty awesome too.
And ouch, I can imagine how that Rugby team must've been.... painful. Very. However, I propped; I can't run for shit but I can put in more than my fair share in rucks, mauls and the scrum. So the butt of a fair few jokes. When we weren't picking on the backs. ;D

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
xdiesp said:
The problem is, the "gamer" stereotype overlaps with the "american" one. If we could market ourselves as sleek european gamers, suddenly we wouldn't be regarded as:

- Obese: european rate of obesity is a fraction of that of fast food land
- ADD: europeans don't diagnose energetic kids as diseased, nor drug them
- violent: school massacres, postal office shootings are not part of normal life over there
- basement dweller: in europe, people mostly live in apartments... if anything they'd be hikikomori but really not
- racist\homophobic over live: overseas parents can still kick your ass
- ridden with stupid paraphenalia: europeans aren't poor but they have to keep an eye on money spending, hence no compulsive trash buying
- gun nuts: europeans favor more different genres and consoles, than a billion same-y FPS on the 360
It really depends on what you mean as European. The UK is now the 3rd fattest country on earth.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Turkey Braveheart said:
We've all seen/heard the stereotype of the fat, weak gamer or nerd. I'm wondering, is that close to the truth? I've been at both ends of the spectrum. At 17 I was 320 lbs, and two years later had dropped to just 207 lbs after a lot of hard work and strict diet. In the last year, I've gotten into weight lifting and lift at least four days a week. I'm very happy with the results (my posture, build) and plan to keep going. Before my big weight gain, I played hockey too.

How about you guys? Play any sports? Want to lose weight? And I'd be happy to give advice if you're looking to cut weight.
I weigh nearly 400 pounds, but I am not nearly as fat as that number sounds. I know people more than twice my size who weigh less than I do. I'm also freakishly strong, so maybe muscle is under it, I dunno. I'm fat but I also have an ongoing sexual relationship with an attractive couple, so my life is pretty good for a squishy dude

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
BinaryCrystal said:
I've been a beanstalk all my life, currently I'm 19, 6'8" tall and yeah underweight 165 lbs.
It's all skin and bones here. With my high metabolism it's impossible to gain or lose weight so I'm basically stuck where I am.
Have you ever tried to increase your calorie intake? You could just eat more or drink supplements like body fortress or protein shakes.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
im a bit overweight, but i play hockey at least 3 times a week and run on the other days. my weight problem is because of my obsession with sugary snacks.

im also a raft guide in the summer, and that makes me lose weight because my work is exercise

nunqual

Jul 18, 2010
I'm in pretty good shape right now. I weigh 140. I lost about 20 pounds over the last few months, and now I'm very comfortable with my weight.

Chogg Van Helsing

May 27, 2010
im like 17 stones, but i have a lot or muscle mass in my limbs and back.
And I have a social life... So I'm a strong, strangely athletic fat gamer xD

nofear220

Apr 29, 2010
Turkey Braveheart said:
We've all seen/heard the stereotype of the fat, weak gamer or nerd. I'm wondering, is that close to the truth? I've been at both ends of the spectrum. At 17 I was 320 lbs, and two years later had dropped to just 207 lbs after a lot of hard work and strict diet. In the last year, I've gotten into weight lifting and lift at least four days a week. I'm very happy with the results (my posture, build) and plan to keep going. Before my big weight gain, I played hockey too.

How about you guys? Play any sports? Want to lose weight? And I'd be happy to give advice if you're looking to cut weight.
Its people like you that prove fat people CAN become a healthy weight again through some hard work. I hate when people who are extremely overweight say that its impossible for them to lose weight, well yeah its impossible if they wont stop eating cake (sorry, just a generalization).

Anyway, Im on the high metabolism end of the spectrum. I cant seem to gain any muscle, and I have to do very little to keep fat from creeping up on me. I am fairly underweight for my height 155lbs and 6'3"

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
higgs20 said:
MystryMeet said:
BMI is inaccurate at best, it doesn't take into account muscle density, by the sounds of you you're fine but if you are worried then calculate your waist-to-hip ratio, it's a much more accurate way to see how your body is fairing.
woah thanks for that--I didn't even know about this. I shall try this!

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Turkey Braveheart said:
MystryMeet said:
Hats off man, anyone who can bench more than their bodyweight should be proud. I'm 235lb and can only bench 190lb, but I'm hoping to bench my bodyweight by the fall.
Really thanks! I've actually been made fun of because I can't lift as much as my friend who is 5'3" my weight and benches around 190 llbs. I shall never be ashamed again!
But woooah thats great man you only need 45 pounds to go! I think you can get that before the fall!

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks of a skinny teenager with lots of pimples and glasses when I hear the word "Nerd gamer" and am supposed to attach a stereotype to it?

Definitely not fat or chubby or any other overweight words. But then again I don't view weight as such a bad thing. I have to eat healthy cause of my poor health which means I keep a healthy weight level, I am f****** envious of people who can eat whatever they want =(

Vegetables suck.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
It leaves you as awesome, good sir.
I however, am rather large. I'm around 100kg, though that fluctuates wildly at times. I'm trying to lose some fat, though I don't much care about my weight. Not sure how tall I am; probably about the six foot mark. I do Judo and Taekwon-Do, have played Rugby and done Kung Fu as well. I don't eat too well, pretty shit unhealthily tbh, but I am one hella geek/nerd/whatever you're gonna call it. I'm prolly both.
Thank you good siiir! haha but that doesn't seem like an all to bad weight for your height and the sports you do. Awww I wanted to play rugby but the team I was on was full of Samoans, Polys, and other big people...If I had the ball they would carry me then throw me... since we were never playing any official games...
I'm a hardcore gamer--my family talks amongst themselves thinking up ideas on how to get me away from my xbox...-_- Wow--a nerd who does kung fu and rugby--awesome
Why thank you. I'm a kind of awesome guy. ;) You sound pretty awesome too.
And ouch, I can imagine how that Rugby team must've been.... painful. Very. However, I propped; I can't run for shit but I can put in more than my fair share in rucks, mauls and the scrum. So the butt of a fair few jokes. When we weren't picking on the backs. ;D
lmao it actually wasn't that painful since I was much smaller they would pick me up and throw me around like they were playing keep away. I'm not good with Rugby terms since I was never on the team --it was a beginning team--but I was never a part of the rucks or anything because they were afraid they'd break me...-_-. But you wouldn't really need running for rugby since its a possession game right?

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I'm thin and have always been. I started working out a bit lately and managed to gain about 7lbs which i think is good. As for other people, I know both fat lazy useless nerds and active sport playing nerds. I don't play sports but am very active and what I consider to be a healthy 5'8 and 141 Lbs