The Fat Nerd Stereotype

Nectill

Sep 19, 2010
I am a nerd and I'll admit that I am overweight but i am also 6'6 and well built of a may be overweight but I am a buff nerd :D

curtmina

Jun 7, 2010
I've never really bought into the "fat nerd" stereotype as most people I know who are nerds are rarely fat maybe slightly overweight, but very rarely fat. As for myself I'm 6'1" about 155 and ran cross-country and track all through high school and I've been running 3 days a week now that I'm in college. so yeah I guess there are some "fat nerds" out there but I think the majority of people in geek culture are of healthy weight.

Arduras

Jul 14, 2009
In the military, work out 6 times a week, game alot... no, I don't think I fit -any- sterotype.

And most people don't fit the mold anyway because the molds are interchangable at anytime :p

Wapox

Feb 4, 2010
all my life I've been the skinny dude with glasses, now I'm the marginally meaty dude with lenses, I'm at about 170 lb, and I consider that much compared to what I use to weigh, which I won't post, becaue you just wouldn't believe it...

Hopeless_One

Feb 2, 2010
151 lbs and fairly happy with it. I'm an active guy who plays competitive Badminton 3/4 times a week as well as cycling to uni every day. Even so, I'm still your garden variety nerd who spends most of their time playing games and watching anime... or is that just me?

Now it's a shame I can do anything about these moobs...

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
I have been every where from obese to so skin that I have been mistaken for a cancer patient (no joke). Currently I could stand to lose a few pounds.

Stereotypes are pretty stupid. And only exist so that people unwilling to think for themselves can have a short cut.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
At the moment, losing weight.
Not that I was that big to begin with.

Also, my boyfriend is sexy as hell, so he blows the stereotype away.

[small]I know you can't prove something with an example, but shut up[/small]

Jeffster92

Jan 7, 2011
To me, it's actually surprising how the idea of a fat stereotype came to be. Consider this: at my college, the Gamers Club has about fifteen-twenty people and only about 2 or 3 of them are overweight.

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
nofear220 said:
Turkey Braveheart said:
We've all seen/heard the stereotype of the fat, weak gamer or nerd. I'm wondering, is that close to the truth? I've been at both ends of the spectrum. At 17 I was 320 lbs, and two years later had dropped to just 207 lbs after a lot of hard work and strict diet. In the last year, I've gotten into weight lifting and lift at least four days a week. I'm very happy with the results (my posture, build) and plan to keep going. Before my big weight gain, I played hockey too.

How about you guys? Play any sports? Want to lose weight? And I'd be happy to give advice if you're looking to cut weight.
Its people like you that prove fat people CAN become a healthy weight again through some hard work. I hate when people who are extremely overweight say that its impossible for them to lose weight, well yeah its impossible if they wont stop eating cake (sorry, just a generalization).

Anyway, Im on the high metabolism end of the spectrum. I cant seem to gain any muscle, and I have to do very little to keep fat from creeping up on me. I am fairly underweight for my height 155lbs and 6'3"
Thanks and I can't stand those people. Seriously, unless you don't have the money, you have kids and no time or you just don't know any better then there is nothing keeping you from losing weight. 'Fat acceptance' is a waste of time that perpetuates laziness and an unhealthy life style.

Seriously, being fat doesn't make you a victim, it means you have work to do.

As for your metabolism, there are ways to get around it if you're interested. The first is to just take stick of your intake and see if you can increase it. The other is to try something like protein shakes or Body Fortress for an easy way to get lots of calories or protein all at once.

Feralbreed

May 20, 2009
I might be pretty weak since I don't work out regularly, but I'm just glad that I'm not fat. I have self control and a high metabolism. I'm about 185cm and weigh about 68kg so there.

As for stereotypes; they come from somewhere. Pretty annoying when one hits you isn't it? Deal with it, cause it's not going away soon. Not until we as gamers stop acting so childish and stupid over our hobby. I mean there are people who take console-wars seriously, claim superiority for using a PC for gaming and other similiar stuff.

TL;DR: When we change, stereotypes change with us, for the better or worse.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
According to the BMI I'm overweight borderline obese for my height--I'm 5'1" (OH GOD WHY!?) and around 65 kg but I bench press 70 kg and run a mile in 7 minutes...I don't know where that leaves me because most guys my age are taller and lift less and are slower...WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME?!
It leaves you as awesome, good sir.
I however, am rather large. I'm around 100kg, though that fluctuates wildly at times. I'm trying to lose some fat, though I don't much care about my weight. Not sure how tall I am; probably about the six foot mark. I do Judo and Taekwon-Do, have played Rugby and done Kung Fu as well. I don't eat too well, pretty shit unhealthily tbh, but I am one hella geek/nerd/whatever you're gonna call it. I'm prolly both.
Thank you good siiir! haha but that doesn't seem like an all to bad weight for your height and the sports you do. Awww I wanted to play rugby but the team I was on was full of Samoans, Polys, and other big people...If I had the ball they would carry me then throw me... since we were never playing any official games...
I'm a hardcore gamer--my family talks amongst themselves thinking up ideas on how to get me away from my xbox...-_- Wow--a nerd who does kung fu and rugby--awesome
Why thank you. I'm a kind of awesome guy. ;) You sound pretty awesome too.
And ouch, I can imagine how that Rugby team must've been.... painful. Very. However, I propped; I can't run for shit but I can put in more than my fair share in rucks, mauls and the scrum. So the butt of a fair few jokes. When we weren't picking on the backs. ;D
lmao it actually wasn't that painful since I was much smaller they would pick me up and throw me around like they were playing keep away. I'm not good with Rugby terms since I was never on the team --it was a beginning team--but I was never a part of the rucks or anything because they were afraid they'd break me...-_-. But you wouldn't really need running for rugby since its a possession game right?
Unfortunately that's exactly why you need to run. :( If the opposition get the ball, you have to run in a line to pressure them and trying and get it back. If you're attacking, you have to run so that there's always a place for the ball to go, and to support if the ball goes to ground.

Turkey Braveheart said:
nofear220 said:
Turkey Braveheart said:
We've all seen/heard the stereotype of the fat, weak gamer or nerd. I'm wondering, is that close to the truth? I've been at both ends of the spectrum. At 17 I was 320 lbs, and two years later had dropped to just 207 lbs after a lot of hard work and strict diet. In the last year, I've gotten into weight lifting and lift at least four days a week. I'm very happy with the results (my posture, build) and plan to keep going. Before my big weight gain, I played hockey too.

How about you guys? Play any sports? Want to lose weight? And I'd be happy to give advice if you're looking to cut weight.
Its people like you that prove fat people CAN become a healthy weight again through some hard work. I hate when people who are extremely overweight say that its impossible for them to lose weight, well yeah its impossible if they wont stop eating cake (sorry, just a generalization).

Anyway, Im on the high metabolism end of the spectrum. I cant seem to gain any muscle, and I have to do very little to keep fat from creeping up on me. I am fairly underweight for my height 155lbs and 6'3"
Thanks and I can't stand those people. Seriously, unless you don't have the money, you have kids and no time or you just don't know any better then there is nothing keeping you from losing weight. 'Fat acceptance' is a waste of time that perpetuates laziness and an unhealthy life style.

Seriously, being fat doesn't make you a victim, it means you have work to do.

As for your metabolism, there are ways to get around it if you're interested. The first is to just take stick of your intake and see if you can increase it. The other is to try something like protein shakes or Body Fortress for an easy way to get lots of calories or protein all at once.
If you feel that strongly you could just leave the worst culprits... Harsh as it is, chances are their bodies will kill them soon enough anyway. Seriously. A Level Biology teaches you things that make you want to claw out your blood vessels to check if they're clean.

AnOriginalConcept

Jan 7, 2010
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
I'm actually under weight. I'm like a stick, heh. I'm the same weight I was when I was 15 years old. That's good and bad depending on how you look at it.
More or less my boat, too.

I subscribe to the rest of the stereotype, though :p

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
im slightly above healthy weight (literally 1 lb over... im 195 and 6'2). however i am working on losing weight. in the last month i have lost 11 lbs and hope to get down to 175 by the end of april. (thats how much i figure with fat loss and muscle gain). im hitting the gym 4 times a week for 2 hours a day (1 hour of weights, 1 hour of cardio) and eating right. although i refuse to eat vegetables.

about the stereotypes: about 1/8 of the gamers at my college fit it. about 1/3 actually are the thin, weak gamers. about 1/16th are fit. the rest are normal.

Feb 9, 2011
joshthor said:
im slightly above healthy weight (literally 1 lb over... im 195 and 6'2).
See, that makes me feel like I'm dying or something, haha. I'm the same height (6'2"), but I'm only 150lbs. I eat just fine, but my body burns it off as quickly as it comes in.

AutobotDecepticon

Feb 10, 2011
I'd likely be fat if I didn't have the metabolism of a hummingbird on crystal meth. I probably eat more than the average fat nerd. I feel for you, guys. <3

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Auto mechanic here - and I do a ton of work on heavy trucks, buses and other industrial equipment. Strength is a necessity for these vehicles, diesel parts are not light. Hell, the last starter I replaced weighed in at over 60 lbs. Real fun trying to lift that one handed, lol.

But, slow metabolism due to my thyroid shutting down - I put on a lot of weight from that. Once the doctors I had finally figured it out, and put me on a prescription, I've literally lost a ton of weight without having to change any of my day-to-day behaviours. Last I checked, I've lost over 50 pounds within the last year alone.

But, still, I weigh in at 245 - which is still considered overweight for my 6'1 height. But, then again, muscle is denser than fat, too . . .

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I'm pretty stereotypical. I'm 18 and I weigh 185 pounds, I wear glasses, enjoy video games, and don't play sports.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
lmao it actually wasn't that painful since I was much smaller they would pick me up and throw me around like they were playing keep away. I'm not good with Rugby terms since I was never on the team --it was a beginning team--but I was never a part of the rucks or anything because they were afraid they'd break me...-_-. But you wouldn't really need running for rugby since its a possession game right?
Unfortunately that's exactly why you need to run. :( If the opposition get the ball, you have to run in a line to pressure them and trying and get it back. If you're attacking, you have to run so that there's always a place for the ball to go, and to support if the ball goes to ground.
I SEE! Okay okay I get it now thanks! Maybe I should look up the rules and try out again!