The Fat Nerd Stereotype

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Most of the "OMG he is a nerd nerd" in my school are fitter then holly hell. Which is Ironic.

nofear220

Apr 29, 2010
Turkey Braveheart said:
As for your metabolism, there are ways to get around it if you're interested. The first is to just take stick of your intake and see if you can increase it. The other is to try something like protein shakes or Body Fortress for an easy way to get lots of calories or protein all at once.
Ive tried protein shakes, tried eating more meat than usual and still little to no muscle gains. Same thing goes with fat, Ive tried just cramming as much junkfood and burgers as I can into my body and I will never go over a certain amount of stomach fat (If I eat healthy and do cardio a lot, I will gradually burn the fat down but not by much cause there isnt much to begin with). As for my biceps, they have absolutely no fat just a bit of muscle and skin (skin which streches a lot, leading me to believe that I have room to grow).

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
lmao it actually wasn't that painful since I was much smaller they would pick me up and throw me around like they were playing keep away. I'm not good with Rugby terms since I was never on the team --it was a beginning team--but I was never a part of the rucks or anything because they were afraid they'd break me...-_-. But you wouldn't really need running for rugby since its a possession game right?
Unfortunately that's exactly why you need to run. :( If the opposition get the ball, you have to run in a line to pressure them and trying and get it back. If you're attacking, you have to run so that there's always a place for the ball to go, and to support if the ball goes to ground.
I SEE! Okay okay I get it now thanks! Maybe I should look up the rules and try out again!
Give it a go. It's a lot of fun. :D

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
zehydra said:
I was under-weight for a while, so the fat stereotype obviously doesn't fit me, but I'm tall and lanky, which is another one of the stereotypes.

Ultimately, the stereotypes are nonsense.
and in the words of Robert Muldoon in Jurassic Park:

"They should all be destroyed."
Jurassic park reference YAY!!
Dont like the stereotype, change it
Only you can prevent stereotypes-smokey bear...oh wait thats wrong.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
umm, I'll be the first to admit it, I'm not a light dude, but I'm not a weak ass neither, been jogging/running alot, and I eat healthy enough. the extra workout and excercise keeps me good and my waist only fluctuates a little... slow metabolism is made up for by the uncanny ability to improve majorly with little effort... gotta love my genetics... I could be ripped and still have a spare tire... :p still... I'm not really a nerd either... I'm too social and stuff, I work hard and I practise a martial art, maybe a good thing to think of for any that also have a slow metabolism, take up a martial art... pretty much anything can at least keep you strong and flexible enough to feel comfortable with yourself on a level that makes even minor imperfections not matter anymore... /end 2 cents

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
6'6", 190 pounds. Capable of benching upwards of 250. Can run a five-and-a-half minute mile.

Also plays Magic and is actively working to turn his girlfriend into a D&D'er.

Defying stereotypes FTW. Glad to see that many other Escapists do the same. :)

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Most nerds I know have the musculature of Beavis and Butt-head. Scrawny, underfed, pale, and more befitting the stereotype of the "98-pound weakling" from those old Charles Atlas fitness ads than the fat "Fanboy!" type from Freakazoid.

Personally, I'm 5'11, 180, and not doing too bad considering I'm unable to do any strenuous exercise due to a heart condition. I have to settle for light exercise and keeping my calories down. But then I'm also a jock, not a nerd.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
If I lose any weight I would be underweight. I have never been fat. Hopefully never will. I did play sport until I was sick of everyone in my age group that played that sport.

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
Hopeless_One said:
151 lbs and fairly happy with it. I'm an active guy who plays competitive Badminton 3/4 times a week as well as cycling to uni every day. Even so, I'm still your garden variety nerd who spends most of their time playing games and watching anime... or is that just me?

Now it's a shame I can do anything about these moobs...
You may have a hormone imbalance, consult your doctor because this can be dealt with easily. Other than that, do cardio, build muscle in the center and upper chest and widen the chest a bit and the moobs should become pecs in a few months.

These exercises would help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFcU-d5uDmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ACcDWHwM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PDsbD4jSnQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJpSkg8Isk

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I'm actually supposed to gain weight because of my chronic illness. Ironically I'm the exact opposite, it's hard for me to eat high calorie foods because I like vegetables and lean meats. I do weight training though and in about 6 months I've gained about 10lbs(which is a lot for me) so things are good.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I weigh 240, but most of it is actually muscle.

I'm a beefy nerd.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
6.3 n jus about 200 .. got a spare tire due to pub habbit but work keeps me more or less in shape

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Dags90 said:
I think it's pretty unfair to single out nerds as fatties when obesity has become pretty mainstream.
Heh. I was fat before it was cool.

I'm going to have to go on a diet to stay non-conformist...

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I am at a healthy weight and I don't really gain weight as my metabolism is pretty good. I am pretty short (I think I am at 5'3 - 5'2) but I can hold my own and I am pretty fit. I am into various sports and before I was injured I used to play ice hockey. I might not be allowed to play anymore, but I like to go out for a morning walk or run and I tend to walk to university and walk to the city centre as opposed to catching the bus (unless it's dark) which saves money, and ensures I get excercise.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
lmao it actually wasn't that painful since I was much smaller they would pick me up and throw me around like they were playing keep away. I'm not good with Rugby terms since I was never on the team --it was a beginning team--but I was never a part of the rucks or anything because they were afraid they'd break me...-_-. But you wouldn't really need running for rugby since its a possession game right?
Unfortunately that's exactly why you need to run. :( If the opposition get the ball, you have to run in a line to pressure them and trying and get it back. If you're attacking, you have to run so that there's always a place for the ball to go, and to support if the ball goes to ground.
I SEE! Okay okay I get it now thanks! Maybe I should look up the rules and try out again!
SEARCHING FOR LOCAL RUGBY TEAMS AWAY!

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
Jamous said:
MystryMeet said:
SEARCHING FOR LOCAL RUGBY TEAMS AWAY!
DO IT.

CATB320

Jan 30, 2011
I'm pretty thin. 5'3" and 106 lbs, which I'm pretty okay with. I do martial arts but I need moar muscle :/

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
I think my Avatar pretty much answers the question of "Am I overweight?", the answer of course being no I'm not.