The Felicia Day/Destructoid situation

Superlative

May 14, 2012
you know, if Ms. Day were any less classy she would link to her IMDb account with #getonmylevel, but she is that classy so i will post it. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1260407/

I honestly have no clue who this Parez guy is.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
IceStar100 said:
Or maybe she is just good at her job and enthusiastic about games.
That would be crazy I know right? I mean she's a woman. IT CAN'T POSSIBLY BE TRUE!!

-.-
Not saying that she isn't passionate about what she does (I don't know her personally. Do you?)

What we ARE saying, is that the fame and notoriety garnered to her is, at least partially, undeserved.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Ympulse said:
TAdamson said:
It's attitudes like this that lead to less women playing games. Why is it that if an attractive women succeeds in something male dominated it must be because of her looks?
Because I am unimpressed by her work as a whole.
If you're unimpressed with her work say you're unimpressed with her work.

If Fday were a male, he would've been marginalized as an entity by now.
Are you stating the obvious fact that women are under-represented in gaming? No fucking shit. Does this give female voices a greater impact? VERY Debatable.

And WHY do you care? Little lesson in life buddy; People and things you don't like will be successful because other people like them.

But MAYBE the fact that she's successful will attract women more to your taste. It's hostility from people like you that will drive them away.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
-.-[/quote]

That could all be true but there is others out there who are good and enthusiastic about thier job and will never be infrount of a camra.

Also whats her sex have to do with this. Why did your mind go there I was just saying she was good looking. That right there is like saying I'm not a racist but race is the big thing I focus on even if it's not brough up.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
TAdamson said:
No need to get mad over an opinion posted on the internet. Nice ad hominem attack, btw.

The majority of women I socialize with (Who, for the most part, are gamers themselves) think Fday/Mwebb/etc are the equivalent of booth babes with mouths. Take that as you will.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
IceStar100 said:
IceStar100 said:
TAdamson said:
Ympulse said:
Because nine times out of ten, the only reason the woman is where she is is because of the male-dominated stereotype the subculture is notorious for. If FDay was just some skinny guy, he would've left the scene by now for greener pastures, because he's just another dude in a sea of dudes.
It's attitudes like this that lead to less women playing games. Why is it that if an attractive women succeeds in something male dominated it must be because of her looks?

I agree with the guy you're responding to... Noxious.

Don't be so bloody exclusionary. It's a fucking hobby.
Truth is truth you can get mad or accept it. Your never going to she a football team like the packers with ugly cheerleaders. If miss day morgan web or even Olivia munn had not been plesent to the eye they would had to have found work else where. Being mad about how life is just shorten your through your. I know I'll never be a male modle or work a soap opra becuase I don't have the looks for it. Nor will I ever be the prez becuase I don't have the connections. That life she got lucky enough to be pretty so she gets a job same as the reporter chick in mass effect.
IceStar100 said:
That would be crazy I know right? I mean she's a woman. IT CAN'T POSSIBLY BE TRUE!!

-.-
That could all be true but there is others out there who are good and enthusiastic about thier job and will never be infrount of a camra.

Also whats her sex have to do with this. Why did your mind go there I was just saying she was good looking. That right there is like saying I'm not a racist but race is the big thing I focus on even if it's not brough up.
Well considering everyone in your example besides you was a woman I figured you were going for the 'Women can only get by on their looks' thing.

She is in front of the camera because she is an actress.

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Ympulse said:
TAdamson said:
No need to get mad over an opinion posted on the internet. Nice ad hominem attack, btw.

The majority of women I socialize with (Who, for the most part, are gamers themselves) think Fday/Mwebb/etc are the equivalent of booth babes with mouths. Take that as you will.
Ad hominem: an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it.

Hmm... That word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

Perhaps your female gamer friends should make their own podcast? Or are they too afraid that they'll be labeled as nerd-baiting booth babes with mouths?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm...

Voice over work
Live action webseries focused on MMO tropes
Live action Dragon Age mini series.

Seems like a pretty decent sized contribution.

Honestly, I think she comes off as sort of an ambassador to video gaming to illustrate that its more accessible and reaffirm the faith of every MMO player that not every last single "girl" you encounter is just a guy who rolled a fembot. Granted its a microscopic chance, but at least it is some hope.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
TAdamson said:
Not worth my time to play this particular game. You can stop now :)

Perhaps your female gamer friends should make their own podcast? Or are they too afraid that they'll be labeled as nerd-baiting booth babes with mouths?
Most of them don't care enough to make podcasts about games. They'd rather help make the games, so they do.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
IceStar100 said:
IceStar100 said:
TAdamson said:
Ympulse said:
Because nine times out of ten, the only reason the woman is where she is is because of the male-dominated stereotype the subculture is notorious for. If FDay was just some skinny guy, he would've left the scene by now for greener pastures, because he's just another dude in a sea of dudes.

I agree with the guy you're responding to... Noxious.

Don't be so bloody exclusionary. It's a fucking hobby.
Truth is truth you can get mad or accept it. Your never going to she a football team like the packers with ugly cheerleaders. If miss day morgan web or even Olivia munn had not been plesent to the eye they would had to have found work else where. Being mad about how life is just shorten your through your. I know I'll never be a male modle or work a soap opra becuase I don't have the looks for it. Nor will I ever be the prez becuase I don't have the connections. That life she got lucky enough to be pretty so she gets a job same as the reporter chick in mass effect.
IceStar100 said:

-.-

Well considering everyone in your example besides you was a woman I figured you were going for the 'Women can only get by on their looks' thing.

She is in front of the camera because she is an actress.
Holly wood is full of acters and actress in restruants who are never infrount of camra or who do theator. She's infrount of a camra becuase she pretty.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Ympulse said:
TAdamson said:
Not worth my time to play this particular game. You can stop now :)

Most of them don't care enough to make podcasts about games. They'd rather help make the games, so they do.
I write for a couple of gaming sites (not sure if I'm allowed to link :<) and I don't think Felicia Day is a Booth babe with a mouth. Far from it in fact.

My last review had a dev respond on it too.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
viranimus said:
Hrm...

Voice over work
Live action webseries focused on MMO tropes
Live action Dragon Age mini series.

Seems like a pretty decent sized contribution.

Honestly, I think she comes off as sort of an ambassador to video gaming to illustrate that its more accessible and reaffirm the faith of every MMO player that not every last single "girl" you encounter is just a guy who rolled a fembot. Granted its a microscopic chance, but at least it is some hope.
In my experience there tend to be a lot of females that play MMOs, more so on F2P. Ironically, many won't let on they are female, until they've known you for awhile -- can't blame them though, they just don't want to be harassed.

I've always played female characters in MMO; generally I play melee classes, and male melee have a bad habit of looking dorky. Back in the Everquest days things were pretty bad. If you had a female toon back then people expected you to be female, and a ton of guys pretended they were. This died down significantly in recent years, largely due to voice chat.

All of which is great, because now guys can play female toons without being accused of being "gay" or impersonating a female.

Also my entire reply is off topic and has nothing to do with anything, just wanted to throw it out there though.

Oct 30, 2010
What contribution has William Shatner made to selling travel packages? What has Batman ever contributed to making soft drinks? What have Super Bowl MVPs ever contributed to building DisneyWorld?

What a weird thing to tweet; either a) Day is more or less legit, in which case he looks like a fool (or perhaps more harsh terms) or b) he's right, but it's still really stupid to attack the entire industry of celebrity endorsement by singling out one person (particularly a female popular with the gaming groupthink).

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
IceStar100 said:
Holly wood is full of acters and actress in restruants who are never infrount of camra or who do theator. She's infrount of a camra becuase she pretty.
If that was all it took, there would be a lot more successful actresses than there are.

(And if it was required, character actors would not exist.)

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Funny enough I've never heard of Perez. Sounds like he's jealous of her fame. His comments were in no way justified. First he admits he knows nothing about her, then attacks her for being guilty of something he knows nothing about. I mean even a simple fucking google search would show that she is the creator and writer of an extremely successful web series about guilds and mmorpg's. That in itself should be enough to warrant her "qualifications" for being in the game industry (as if you really need any). On top of that, she isn't even trying to be in the games industry, she's foremost a writer and actress, so what exactly is the problem with that?
Not to mention the fact that Perez is a MASSIVE douche, and if anyone doesn't deserve to be part of the games industry, it's him.

Sounds just like another typical "you're not a REAL nerd like me, only REAL nerds are allowed in the game industry, NO GIRLS ALLOWED" situation, only it backfired because it turns out who would've guessed, she actually does enjoy games, and has more credibility than he does by FAR as a "nerd".

If there's a lesson to be learned here it's probably "Don't just fucking assume things about people without doing your homework, also don't just be a general douche".

Edit: I just realized he lost his job from this incident. A bit harsh for a simple tweet, but the guy was an idiot, and in all honestly, deserved it.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Hmm... I wonder what Ryan Perez has "provided to gaming." Oh, wait, nobody asks that question because he has a Y chromosome and it's not a good question.
Usually im on the other side of this argument finding that feminists outside(not the ones inside) the gaming medium are usually making shit up. Making mountains out of mere mole hills to make us all look bad or worse than what we are(ie: hot womenz makes us misogynists) however hes right. you can be rather "average" as a male here on tv and as a gamer people will relate to you. as a woman if you havent beaten dark souls three times your a ***** who plays farmville. actually thats an exxageration but you essentially have to have some indie cred liking a game not from ea or such in such to be proven as a gamer whereas as a male you are not scrutinized so highly. even bioshock is too mainstream for a woman to prove herself.

Let it be known most of the women of videogames(inside the medium) I find there arguments productive and supportive. Not the hate an negativity we get from ***** outsiders. I know thats off topic but i felt the need to make a distinguishment.

continue.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am just confused as to how someone being a dick and insulting someone on Twitter has generated such a response. Seriously, all Twitter does is cause stupid drama.