The first computer game you ever played?

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
The Journey said:
I can't honestly remember the very, very first.

Before I had a home PC I played a few arcade machines here and there and my Grandad's old Commodore.

One of the first games I can truly remember clearly is Wolfenstein 3D on my uncles PC. Then it was Doom on my fathers in later years.

There honestly were some earlier ones but for the life of me I can't really remember much except a lot of bloody pixels.

The first one I played and owned (at least, by proxy anyway) would have been Doom.

There are a few games that truly won me over to gaming as a hobby though and those are the original Command and Conquer: Red Alert and Doom, through all the Quakes and then Half-Life. This thread is making me nostalgic. :D
Lol Yeah me too! I had been searching through old machines and looking at pics of old computers. Looking at the C64 tape drive really brings back memories :)

It was my dad who introduced me to them as well - I think dads secretly want them for themselves but think they will look silly, so "buy it for the kids" and then sneak a go on it :D

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure I was playing PC games before I even saw my first console. Then again, I had my own NES at the age of 5, and I had fairly regular access to an NES and an Atari 2600 at the same time as or shortly after I started PC gaming, so I've never really been one of those guys who's all one or all the other. When I was a kid, the consoles were different enough from the PCs that they usually didn't even have the same genres, let alone the same games like they do today, so they weren't really in competition for my brand loyalty; in my mind, computer games and video games were two different things, and I loved both of them.
Yes I know what you mean. When i think of the Sega Master System or any Nintendo systems, I automatically think of Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario Bros. Different systems had different games and so, different 'feels' to them. Especially as consoles were about joypads - I could never get used to them from using joysticks! Im the same now - i have never actually used an XBox or PS3, so have no clue about joypads.

JaysonM

Sep 29, 2010
Android 1 or Trolley Wolley for the amstrad...

I can't quite 100% remember which one it was because I was about the age of 3.

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
JaysonM said:
Android 1 or Trolley Wolley for the amstrad...

I can't quite 100% remember which one it was because I was about the age of 3.
OMG my friend had an Amstrad! i think we played Zaxxon on it, where you flew a little plane from bottom left to top right of the screen. Awwww nostalgia ...

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
I've been looking up some of these games I remember on youtube, and whats weird is I can actually feel my hands wanting to do the controls from all the way back then! Talk about muscle memory...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I think it was either Heart of Darkness or Tomb Raider 3.

They're the first two I remember playing at any rate. And curse my father for giving me HoD to play, of all things! That game is fucking impossible!

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
If you mean first true computer game, or game on a PC or MAC or anything, then that would be Doom 2, ah good times. However since you seem to mean video game on any system, the answer is Super Mario Bros. 3.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
ahhh Spyro 1
back in 1998
it was a good old classic
and i only 100%'d it 2 years ago
10 years after i started that slice of brilliance

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
Woodsey said:
I think it was either Heart of Darkness or Tomb Raider 3.

They're the first two I remember playing at any rate. And curse my father for giving me HoD to play, of all things! That game is fucking impossible!
I remember back then there were so mnay games you couldnt even begin to complete without a cheat code, normally you type in some random swear words into the highscore screen and then get infinite lives :) Completed most of my games that way ....

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Red Baron, a flying game set in WWI.

One of the Oregon Trails and Age of Empires II followed a while after that.

And then, maybe Baldur's Gate or Heroes of Might and Magic. I'm messing up the order a lot.

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
archvile93 said:
If you mean first true computer game, or game on a PC or MAC or anything, then that would be Doom 2, ah good times. However since you seem to mean video game on any system, the answer is Super Mario Bros. 3.
Yeah thats what I meant! I guess I am a bit biased towards computers because thats what I always had, but my friends had a lot of consoles. Snes's, Master Systems ... there was a lot of brand loyalty too for some reason. People who went SEGA seemed to stay SEGA, Nintendo the same. Dont know if thats true for everyone though, but I seem to have always stuck with more 'computerey' platforms - C64, Amiga 500, PC.

Maybe I will treat myself to a retro gaming console and make up for lost years!

SuperNashwan

Oct 1, 2010
Sinclose said:
I believe it was some game where you made a small ship rotate to destroy asteroids. No other movement than rotation though.
I think that was actually called Asteroids too ... they werent very imaginative with naming games back then ...