The first game you ever played?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
So I was pretty bored and I was looking at old Neo Geo games because I love Metal Slug, Garou Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade, and I don't feel like I've played enough Neo Geo games, so I was looking through the list and I found this, a Beat 'Em Up called Ninja Combat, suddenly memories came back to me of being like a tiny little child going to the corner store with my brother to buy something that isn't important enough for me to still remember, and I saw it, an old, really beat up Arcade cabinet, colours flashing in and out, little pixelly cartoon people moving around punching each other, I had not idea what it was but I wanted to play it, so after the guy in the store got me a wooden box to stand on because I was too short to reach the controls I started playing and it was that game, and I remember it being the single most amazing thing my little 4 year old brain could process and I died really fast, I remember after that I would often steal money from my parents and sneak out to play it and then they got a football game that I don't remember the name of and then they replaced Ninja combat 19XX or whatever that Capcom game about the planes is called, then with Street Fighter and the Football game with Mortal Kombat, but damn, that game Ninja Combat, I didn't even knew it's name but it's the first game I ever played.

So anyway Escapists, what was your first game?

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
It would be either Aladdin or Super Mario World, both on the SNES. Maybe Mario Paint, but those are the two I recall playing.

Reactions: Kae

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Some Helicopter side-scrolling thing on an Apple 2 (I think)

You'll forgive the lack of detail, I was 2 years old at the time.

More distinctively, circa 1992 I got my "new" (my parents (or well mother and post-separation boyfriend were perhaps a bit misleading, but 4 year old me didn't really pick up on it) NES with Zelda 2, Mario 3, Bomberman, and Top Gun

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Some Helicopter side-scrolling thing on an Apple 2 (I think)

You'll forgive the lack of detail, I was 2 years old at the time.

More distinctively, circa 1992 I got my "new" (my parents (or well mother and post-separation boyfriend were perhaps a bit misleading, but 4 year old me didn't really pick up on it) NES with Zelda 2, Mario 3, Bomberman, and Top Gun
Don't worry man, I just went into detail because I wanted to give a little bit of flair to the OP.

Edit: Lies I always go into detail and on weird tangents!

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Catch a glimpse of this monstrosity. Yes you do have to fly on both screen at the same time

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Something on Atari, I'm sure, or in the Arcades back in the 1980's.

Dig Dug? Pac Man? Q-Bert? Mario Bros(not super, the Mario Bros Arcade game)?

I do remember playing the infamous ET game on Atari. As a little tyke, I though it was fun aside from always falling into pits. I didn't realize till years later it helped crash the videogame industry.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN! I GOTTA GO WATCH MATLOCK!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I... don't know, which is odd because I'm probably way younger than most of everyone on here.

The first game that was bought for me was Lego Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. My first game would either be Pokemon, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, or any of the dozens of PS2 games my best friend had.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Some really old MS-DOS game most likely. Like the one where orders corresponded to numbers and you had to give the customers their food. Or maybe Asteorids? I dunno, I was super young at the time.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, shit. I have no idea. But it was on a friend's Atari 2600, probably Pong or Combat.

The first computer we had was the Oric-1, and the first game I'll have played on that will have been some clone of Pacman, Snake, or whatever else.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Probably one of those 2 button LCD game devices. I had one of those Nintendo Game & Watch things I remember playing. Not sure if that was the first, we had a bunch of random ones from various manufacturers and also a tetris device.

In terms of actual videogame, probably something on the Famicom which my family had. I don't remember which game exactly, I was too young and barely remember playing it. Only remember mario and some random racing game.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
....shit um....I barely even remember being alive back then. Let's just guess and say I was 6 years old when I played my first video game, though it was probably younger. That would make it 38 years ago.....either something on my Atari 2600, or one of a plethora of arcade games at Alladin's Castle.

I seriously don't understand how people actually track shit like this, I mean video games have been a near constant part of my life from literally as far back as my memory can go. That's a TON of games that I just don't have the time or energy to compartmentalize.

Reactions: Kae and Dalisclock