The First Ghostbusters Trailer Ain't Afraid of No Ghost

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I'd like to say I'm disappointed, but honestly, this is what I was expecting. When I work past the dayglow CG, the dubstep themesong, and the long list of dirty jokes I can make about the girls getting slimed, I'm left seeing a movie that takes brilliant and capable scientists with sizable quirks and an interesting dynamic, and replaces them with characters and jokes based in how incapable they start off as despite brilliance.

Oh well. I survived RIPD, I can get through this.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Something Amyss said:
Really? I thought the trailer looked meh at best for most of it, with a couple of positives and mostly negatives.

Also, do we really need a dubstep (or whatever you want to call that version of the song, I can't be arsed right now) version of the Ghostbusters theme?
No. No we do not.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
rcs619 said:
Basically, it looks more like someone *trying* to make a ghostbusters movie, than an actual ghostbusters movie. It kinda has a fan-movie sort of vibe to it.
This hits the nail on the head. There's a sense of artifice to the visuals as well as to the characters and dialoge that make it feel like it's an adaptation of some non-existent cartoon. I saw someone else compare it to the live-action Scooby Doo movies, and it does look freakishly similar.
I think there's a chance it turns out to be a good enough movie, and for people who've never seen the original, I'm sure it'll be fine. I just think there's some kind of uncanny-valley effect going on for me. It's trying to mimic Ghostbusters, but it isn't quite there so it all seems off. I hope it turns out to be good though. Ghostbusters as a premise is great and there's a ton of things you can do with it. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

My biggest concern is that the new cast may not have the gravitas to live up to the old one. Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Harold Ramis, Sigourney Weaver, Rick Moranis, that's a who's who of great actors to have to live up to. I hope I'm wrong and that I'll wind up pleasantly surprised (the new actors brought into Star Wars: A New Hope were great and they totally owned those roles), but it is definitely a concern.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Soulrender95 said:
We might not be afraid of no ghost, but Sony is afraid of the backlash they are actively purging the youtube comments section of even non-insulting criticisim.
Sony never were great at PR but even by their standards that's a stupid move.

Trailer looks decidedly poor in my opinion, didn't even come close to laughing at a single that happened. I wouldn't even be giving it a second thought if the original Ghostbusters wasn't one of my favourite films of all time. Definitely won't be rushing out to see this when it releases.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Ukomba said:
I'm sure they're already writing up an article on how sexist people are, it's a great smoke screen.
Likely, but that's a dangerous game to play. They run the risk of the bad buzz becoming the story. Besides, the diversity debate has to run out of steam sooner or later, and drafting it in to defend a summer popcorn flick could easily backfire.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
So... we have the awkward nerd, the crazy blonde chick, the fat one... and the sassy black woman.. who for bonus inclusivity is also fat.

Why am i not surprised that hollywoods idea of an all female ghostbuster team is merely a checklist of unfunny stereotypes?

Really disapointed especially after watching deadpool that this is the humor we can expect.

The humor is just plain old silly and goofy and... stupid.. theres no thought or intelligence behind the jokes... whileas the original humor was the characters reacting and commenting to the absurd situations they found themselves in. No one made jokes about having slime stuck to their dick, they didnt slap each other around, the humor and chemistry kinda came naturally and more importantly it was believable in its own strange kinda way and never gross or icky. And it had a slower pace wich i think is another important part.

This? This is disaster movie quality humor.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Sixcess said:
Ukomba said:
I'm sure they're already writing up an article on how sexist people are, it's a great smoke screen.
Likely, but that's a dangerous game to play. They run the risk of the bad buzz becoming the story. Besides, the diversity debate has to run out of steam sooner or later, and drafting it in to defend a summer popcorn flick could easily backfire.
Allready happened, the usual suspects are allready blaming mysoginists and sexists and "the dark corners of the internet" for the mostly negative feedback the trailer got.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
......yeeeeeeup. Mediocre, at best, and definitely not as comedic as either of the previous Ghostbuster films. Passing on this.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Scow2 said:
Hawk eye1466 said:
And what's with the circus theme all the ghosts seem to have?
It might have something to do with the plot.
It just seems random, all we know is someone's making something to make paranormal activity stronger and the circus shows up? Just something that struck me as odd.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hawk eye1466 said:
It just seems random, all we know is someone's making something to make paranormal activity stronger and the circus shows up? Just something that struck me as odd.
It's obvious. ICP finally figured out how magnets work.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I actually found it okay-ish. A lot of the jokes really fell flat though as I don't think the cast has the chemistry of the originals, a big part of that was Melissa McCarthy who just seemed to suck the life out of every scene she was in.

The nostalgia factor was high though, they really hit the mark of some scenes that were similar to those in the original.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Is anyone else shocked by just how much really really bad exposition is going on in that trailer? I mean really bad? Forget anything to do with the sex of the protagonists, they are telling not showing. And at least in the trailer I am not seeing anything that resembles chemistry between the actors. It looks and sounds like a junior high drama club decided to put on a Ghostbusters play. And let the 7th graders write it. Is it so hard? Don't tell me how smart these characters are (and how many times did they do that in the trailer?) Show it!!!

And wow nostalgia, lets restage the same scenes from the 80's, but with much worse actors and dialogue. That'll bring them in? I mean why exactly did anybody think simply "remake the original movie but with women" was a good idea? You will never find anybody better at playing those 4 characters than the 4 actors that created them. Why try? Better to do a sidestep. Have the ladies purchase a Ghostbusters franchise from the old timers. Set them someplace new with interesting history. Say Boston of Philadelphia. Give them all new characters written for and to their strengths, rather than having them try and parrot the originals. That would have been new, fun and interesting. It would have bridged the old with the new. It would have expanded the cast and the fanbase. But damn this just looks like a badly made recycled cash grab that even the current cast didn't want to be in. Sadly it will still make a gazillion dollars because "nostalgia".

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
We're supposed to judge whether we want to go see a movie based on the trailer, so how can we not judge?
Dunno. Ask all the people who insist I have no business saying Batman 5 Superman: Dawn of Franchise Merchandising looks shitty based on the information they give us in the trailers.

I'll watch this movie, though. The trailer got some laughs out of me, and if this movie isn't the original, well, no shit, the original is on my DVD shelf and I can pop it in whenever. I want to see neat special effects and watch funny jokes, and I expect to get enough of both for my tastes.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Karadalis said:
Allready happened, the usual suspects are allready blaming mysoginists and sexists and "the dark corners of the internet" for the mostly negative feedback the trailer got.
I hope that will be some consolation to Sony when this movie bombs and takes their long term strategy for a Ghostbuster movieverse with it.

Painting all critics of a work as racist/sexist/whateverist only works when said critics actually are some or all of those things or when the work itself is good. Ideally both of these things. Fury Road wasn't harmed by criticism of its 'feminist agenda' because that criticism came from contemptible troglodytes like Return of Kings, and because Fury Road was fucking awesome.

Conversely, there's no argument to be made that the Fantastic Four reboot bombed because of racism stirred up by the casting of Michael B Jordan. Fant4stic bombed because it was a bad movie. That's the direction I see this one going, and the only people arguing otherwise once the dust settles will be Sony execs trying to salvage their careers in the wake of what looks like being one of the biggest box office bombs of 2016.