The first videogame you ever played

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
There's an old saying, 'the first is always the best'. And for the most part, that seems to be the case. I may enjoy the Minecrafts and the TF2s of this era, but sometimes I just like to sit back, get on the nostalgia train, and pop in my old cartridge of Super Mario World...for the Gameboy Advance. So, does anybody else have any treasured old memories of their very first game? How you liked it, if you still play it, if it holds up, that sort of thing. (Note: If you say Barbie Horse Racing Adventures, then I will reach through the Internet and punch you.)

Bonus Round: +1 Internet to whoever can remember the commercials to that game.
Bonus #2: +2 Internets for a photo of the game or the box for it.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Does Pong count? Or whatever game system's pong we had?

Other than that, the first game we owned that I played would have been the original Mario Brothers. And Duck Hunt. We played that thing for hours on end. And always tried shooting the dog.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I seriously can't recall what the first game I ever played was. It was probably Pokemon (not an odd game to be one's first) or Legend of Dragoon (definitely an odd game to be one's first).

I certainly have early memories of both but not clearly enough to distinguish which came first.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It was either Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros. 2. Not sure which as my uncle played both with me at the tender age of 2-years-old.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Sonic the Hedgehog would be the first game I can remember playing. I believe I was 2 years old.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
My first game was Super Mario Land (1989) for the GameBoy. My parents bought the GameBoy for my older sister for Christmas, but she ended up giving it to me since she didn't have any interest in it. While I liked the GameBoy, I wouldn't say it's what really got me particularly interested in gaming.

I didn't really start getting into gaming until the mid-90's. I think Wolfenstein 3D, Donkey Kong Country, and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn were the first games I actually got super invested in.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Oh boy. It was either very first Need for Speed or some Russian bootleged version of Snake.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
<a href=http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Reviews/CastleAdventure/CA-TheGame.html>Castle Adventure, probably.

My first console game I remember was Golf for the NES followed shortly by Super Mario Brothers.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I can't even remember. It was probably Super Mario World, which, in that case, I wasn't a huge fan at the time and I still don't play it. Then again, I might have been too young to really grasp the game, and I've never really given it much of a chance since then.

As far as the first game I can easily remember playing, it was Donkey Kong 64. I absolutely loved that game, but I don't have it anymore.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
I cant say for sure because it was a long as fucking time ago but it was probably something like Barbie Horse Racing Adventures.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Super Mario Brothers or Duck Hunt.
I forget which one I booted up first.
Both had their moments, though the latter is pretty broken when you really look back on it.
For hits, it detected if you were pointing at a white square on a black background. Despite how it did work in lowering cheating rates for a light-gun game, there were still some exploits that you could pull off if you were crafty enough.

SMB on the other hand, has aged phenomenally well.
A timeless classic that can still be comfortably played today.
Except for those "run through this pattern or repeat the level" castles...
Those still suck!

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Barbie Horse Racing Adventures

I remember like it was yesterday. Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

That game was, and still is, awesome.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Commando for the Spectrum Zx.

I think.

I vaguely remember playing Duck hunt on the Amstrad as well but TBH I cant remember which one was first.

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Little Gray said:
I cant say for sure because it was a long as fucking time ago but it was probably something like Barbie Horse Racing Adventures.
http://youtu.be/eEsBiMMorrI?t=32s