The first videogame you ever played

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
After I had to have brain surgery and lost use of left side of my body. It was recommended that as part of my rehab, I use a Gameboy to train myself how to use my left hand again. The first games I remember playing were Kirby's Pinball Land and among others I don't especially remember.

Though I have fond memories of both playing Doom with my Opa on Nintendo 64 and renting Diddy Kong Racing over and over again.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Rogue Squadron on the PC. Was the first one to beat in my family too.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i believe it was a combat, for the atari. it was fun for it's time. i liked adventure better though. man, you could get away with some super generic names back then. and no, i don't ever play them nowadays, nor would i want to. times have changed and my tastes have refined, yo.

ErwinGodfrey

Jul 17, 2012
Chrono Trigger, I don't think I was much good at it, but I was able to derive some fun from it as a kid

GinraiPrime

Aug 26, 2010
Sonic The Hedgehog on the Sega Megadrive :) Sure I finished Sonic 2 first outta all of them but I still loved the game and still enjoy it to this day :)

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
No clue. When I really young I played some SNES games at a friends house. Think it was some Flintstones game, but I'm not sure. I also watched my mom play Wolfenstein 3D(she was a fucking champ at that game) a lot, though I doubt she ever let me play, and played some racing game I didn't understand. The concept was unknown to me, so I only drove off into the distance.

First game I played like crazy was a demo disc for Playstation. I could never figure out why the games ended all of sudden. I remember Ghost in the Shell(?) and Medieval being the favorites.
Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot were the first real games of mine that I mastered. Was six or seven at the time.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Yoshi's Island. It wasn't the first game I played, but it was the first one that I can actually remember playing.

Such a great game, with a beautiful artstyle.

As for the OP's quote: 'the first is always the best,' I agree. The Super Mario games have aged remarkably well (gameplay, graphics, etc.), YI especially.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
It was either Sonic the Hedgehog on a cousin's Mega Drive, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on my mother's friend's son's NES, or Ninja Gaiden on a NES in my mother's workplace. Can't say which one I played first.

I think Toy Story on Mega Drive was the first console game I played and owned myself.

Doug Las

Oct 1, 2012
I think the first videogame I played was either F1 Racer or Paperboy, for the Gameboy.
I also remember one of the first PC games I saw, it was Heretic, my father showed it to me on a PC at his work.
I was SCARED by that game.
The first PC Game I owned and played was Star Wars Rebel Assault 2, of which I still have fond memories. I never beat it, but not for a lack of trying.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I don't know what the first game I ever played was but the first game I ever owned was Mario Kart 64.

Namkrow

Oct 16, 2008
First game I ever played? Super Mario World for the SNES. I love that game to this day, it's proof enough for me that gameplay trumps graphics. A a shiny, hi-rez, turd is still just a piece of crap.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Wow, looking at all the responses, it looks like average age of Escapist visitors is much higher than I imagined. What do you know...

Feraswondervahnn

Jul 15, 2010
Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Megadrive and it's still to this day my favourite Sonic game! Still one of my all time favourite games as well, so many memories of that game it's unreal!

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
Sonic the Hedgehog 2, on the SEGA genesis at me grandmother's house. Ahhhh a simpler time...

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
One of those watch games nintendo used to make where there were people crossing the streets and there's only one manhole cover so you have to juggle that cover over 4 manholes and not let anyone fall in.

Then it was pong. fuck!.....I feel old.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
IllumInaTIma said:
Wow, looking at all the responses, it looks like average age of Escapist visitors is much higher than I imagined. What do you know...
Well maybe the older are just more vocal about it.