The first videogame you ever played

ClockworkAngel

Nov 9, 2008
My first game ever was StarTropics for the NES. I loved it, and I love it still. I am especially fond of the music. Even today I randomly catch myself whistling or humming the tunes.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I think for me it was Alex Kidd in Miracle World but I can't absolutely confirm that as I was very young at the time.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
ClockworkAngel said:
My first game ever was StarTropics for the NES. I loved it, and I love it still. I am especially fond of the music. Even today I randomly catch myself whistling or humming the tunes.
Did you ever play Zodar's Revenge? Those games were the BIGGEST Zelda worship. They even had matching title screens I think.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
Metroid zero mission. First time I played I had trouble getting past the first room now I can speed run it in an hour or so.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I think it was either Manic Miner or Chuckie Egg on the speccy. At least they were the first ones to come to mind.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Some restaurants in the United States back in the late '70s early '80s had tabletop Pong consoles, and in the year 1981 I played one - I can't say I was impressed. It wasn't until my family bought an Atari 2600 at Christmas 1981 and I played Space Invaders that I fell in love with gaming.

M Silverthorn

Nov 9, 2008
Oh wow. I'm really fuzzy on it, as I'm guessing I would have been...maybe 2 or 3?
My grandmother and grandfather bought themselves a NES for their cabin when they were still together - I'm pretty sure the very first one I played was the original Super Mario Bros....or the original Duck Hunt that came along on the same cartridge in those days.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
Er... Either Spyro the Dragon, Soul Reaver, or the first Tomb Raider. Unusual combination, I know.
Soul Reaver was the first game I really got into; but I didn't really care about the games after that. Pokemon was the first game that I played and actually paid attention to the sequel; and it's the only game that still catches my attention out of all of them.

...Although that might be because Nintendo farts out new Pokemon with alarming regularity. And I don't know if it's age and cynicism, or Nintendo running the idea well dry, but it seems as though they get worse and worse as time goes on.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
My first game, that would be Combat for the Atari 2600. It had just came out.
Yes, I am old...

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
It was either Mortal Kombat or Asteroids, and I'm leaning toward the former. Don't remember if it clicked for me, but I was quite young at that time (7-8ish, I think), so probably didn't get excited. The first game with a plot I ever played (and remembered, at least) was Ocarina of Time, and I remember having my mind blown about how big the thing was. At first, I was expecting it to be over after the Great Deku Tree!

Mar 30, 2010
First game I remember playing was Pong, on what according to my old man was a Telstar. After that gaming consisted of games like Mosaic, Digger, and Paratrooper, followed eventually by a ZX Spectrum.

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
It might have been Commander Keen. Our fist home PC was a Compaq with Windows 3.1 and we had a floppy disk of Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Chess & a golf game. So it was combination of those four games. There was another game, a medivel platformer but the name escpaes me. We still have that PC & it still works so I may have to find out.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I'm turning 30 in a couple of days and it is very comforting to see comments from people who're so old that the first game they played was Pong. I mean fair enough because before then you only had, like, hoop and stick and that thing where you've got the ball attached to the cup with a bit of string so it must have been utterly amazing.

My first game was (I think) Jetpack. Or was it Jetman? I forget, all I remember is you shot multicoloured lines and had to build a rocket but every time you built the rocket you just jetted off to a new (but remarkably similar) area with tougher badies and your rocket all scattered about the map. Not only was it pretty rubbish, it also instilled in me the sense that all endeavour was fundamentally futile.

Oh fuck! I also had The Warlock of Firetop Mountain! I'd play it with my sister and she'd move around and I'd fire the arrows by pressing 'p'. That game was fun, albeit impossible, and it looked like the little man was whipping his dick out whenever he drew his sold* which my sister and I found hilarious.

Thinking back, the 80s were really pretty bleak.

*EDIT: Sword rather. I wonder if that was some manner of freudian slip?

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Tekken 2 on my cousins playstation. Not the best for me though. My favorite Tekken game is Tekken Tag and my favorite game of all time is pokemon