1. Serious Sam: The second encounter
2. Runescape
3. Spellforce 2
4. Warcraft 3(Dota mode)
5. Lineage 2

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
That define me? well not necessarily my favourites but...

1) Counter strike. proving to myself that I suck at FPS

2) Red dead: not all sandbox games are my cup of tea

3) Alone in the dark. Introduction to horror games. Showing me that a game could scare you. Awesome.

4) Baldur's Gate 2 Man, even typing the name of it out makes me want to play it again.

5) FF 7: the first console game I ever bought

SousukeSeg

Oct 17, 2008
About these 5 define me as a gamer, my history of gaming and my overall taste:

1. Soul Reaver 2 (Legacy of Kain series)

2. God of War II (God of War series, though let's be honest... you play one, you play them all)

3. Jak 3 (Jak and Daxter series, yes even the Jak X : Combat Racing)

4. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (nearly every Bioware RPG, NwN, BG, JE, ME, DA)

5. The Longest Journey (almost a dead tie between Syberia 1 and II, Curse of Monkey Island and every other one from the Monkey Island series)

Would have added Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper the ICO games Kingdom Hearts, Vampire Redemption & Bloodlines, Psychonauts and Bayonetta; but those are more in my top 10 faves category.

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
This will be interesting.

I'm a PC guy, so all of these are PC games, by the way.
Which is probably why I found Mirror's Edge fun and not shitty.

Let's see here, in no particular order:

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

The first FPS game and one of the first games at all I played back when I was young. Literally set me up with the groundwork for: basic keyboard and mouse usage, hand-eye coordination and FPS marksmanship skills.

Counter-Strike: Source

My first foray into the world of multiplayer online gaming. Oh, how much my marksmanship skills sucked, how little I hated everyone by default and how much inexplicable fun I had.

Mirror's Edge

The game that taught me both everything I know about effectively moving in FPS games (turning me into a freerunning ninja if a game will allow) and gave me a reason to really try in the first place. I find use of these skills no matter what game I'm playing, from Minecraft to Battlefield 3 to Borderlands.

Ragnarok Online

This game is special to me as well. It was the first co-operative game[footnote]the very first game being Halo 2 on an X-Box, and that was...an experience I'd rather not remember[/footnote] that my first[footnote]and to this day, best and only[/footnote] friend and I played together, as well as being both my first MMORPG and second foray into multiplayer online gaming.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

This game took my preexisting Mirror's Edge movement skill, FPS marksmanship skill, hand-eye coordination, reaction time, general gaming skill and passive-aggressive animosity towards human beings and turned it Up to Eleven [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UpToEleven].

Everything else just kind of expanded from there as I got older.
So, there you have it, ladies and gentlemen.

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
1. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (PS1) - The first game I bought and loved, it truly started my love of games.

2. Empire Earth 1 - The first game (non-linear) that I "clocked" so to speak and sunk a lot of hours into.

3. Portal 1 - A game that showed me a game doesn't need violence to be great and came at a time in my life when it's acquisition and my subsequent enjoyment confirmed to me that gaming is my favourite hobby.

4. COD 4 MW1 - This showered me multiplayer can be truly fun and challenging.

5. Team Fortress 2 - The perfect game for me; it's funny, light hearted and yet is a brilliantly balanced and fantastically designed multiplayer FPS. The game I have by far put the most hours into and I ultimately the one I'd say defines me as a gamer and what I love in a game.

Honourable Mentions:

GTA IV and Borderlands - Two games I thoroughly loved and put a lot of time into.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Duke Nukem 2:
Starting it all

Counter Strike 1.X:
First social online game experience

Starcraft/ Starcraft 2:
I love playing it, but love watching it way, way more.

Gothic series:
My personal Sonic-series :(
The first and second one will always remain in my heart. The third one was good, but in a different way. The fourth.... ouch

Age of Empires 1+2:
Played them as a kid for ages and ages when my parents were away.

Honourable mentions: Mirror's Edge, Assassins Creen, Half Life (1+2), Sim City 2000, Empire Earth, Minecraft

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
1. Heroes of Might and Magic II got me hooked on turn-based RPG's for having a truly engrossing story of royalty, betrayal, birthrights, and war.

2. Might & Magic VII for introducing me to point and click RPG's with a unique interface, multiple members of the party, incredible environments that I enjoy even now, and really creative classes and abilities.

3. Baldurs Gate, all of them, (One, Tales of the Sword Coast, 2, and Throne of Baal) for getting me into true Role-playing games. It was this game that defined my status as a DM for life.

4. Age of Mythology, to this day I consider it one of the best strategy games out there with unique mechanics and AI that actually surpasses some of the childish AI we see in today's games.

5. Alpha Centauri, I count this game as the best Civ-Style turn-based game that has ever been created. With an incredible story filled in with lore and background information that made the entire scifi universe it was based on seem completely real. To this day I still hear the voice of Nwabudike Morgan, CEO of Morgan Industries, anytime I read anything about economics.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
1. Super Mario 64

The game that made me a gamer...it is the first game I can remember playing (I was 5 when we got an N64 for Christmas). The 3D platformer genre is still one of my favourite genres to this day.

2. Star Wars: KOTOR

The game that made me love RPG's. KOTOR was the first RPG that I was truly addicted to and it still holds my personal record for 'longest single play session' (8 and a half hrs...and I was still on Taris!)

3. The Secret of Monkey Island

This game took me a while to get into (I only first played it in the mid-late 90's and the graphics were really hard to get used to because it was so pixelated) but when I solved the first few puzzles I was hooked! I felt so clever and I love any puzzles I find in games now...especially when I am not expecting it.

4. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

My #1 favourite game of all time...I had never heard of Zelda before and I rented this game overnight from a video store in late 1998. I beat the 1st temple and after that I could tell this game was special...it was the top of my wishlist for Christmas that year and I got it :)

5. Goldeneye

I have never had so much fun playing multiplayer against my brothers/mates since this game...Halo 1 comes close though.

Honourable mentions:

Halo 1 - close 2nd to Goldeneye as far as mutliplayer goes
Zelda: Majoras Mask - made me love sidequests in games
Mass Effect 2 - Replayability and beautiful vistas
TF2 - Best online multiplayer game I have played

albedo

Sep 25, 2012
FF7- The first game where I felt something for the villian other than murder, death, kill. I loved the idea of blending magic and technology. That and I really love stories that blow your mind.

Halflife2 - favorite game of all time. Every chapter is different, it is almost like 10+ games in one. That and Alyx Vance is one of the greatest characters of all time. In Episode 1 there is a part where you go through the hospital infected with zombies and she switches out her autopistol for a shotgun. She then proceeds to mow down zombies like it is her job with the projectiles from the shotgun and the shotgun itself. When I saw her chop a zombie in half using the butt of the shotgun I fell in love. Plus she is one of the few female characters in the industry who when attempts humor doesnt go straight for the vagina monologue. She is actually genuinely funny, if a bit awkward (which adds to her charm).

World of Warcraft - ....unfortunately. Ive played that game for over 4 years (im clean now), but that many years of playing with my friends.....it stays with you.

Disgaea - A game of characters so wacky I immediately felt a connection with them. The ability to min/max is actually staggering, but I love how this game focused making me laugh.

Guardian Heroes (Sega saturn/XBL) - Loved it. Multiple final bosses/endings, 30 different stages (in which you go through like 7 in one playthrough), fun combat, nice art style, amazing music.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Uzi-Bazooka said:
Best game in the series, in my opinion, was actually the spinoff Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds.
HOT DANG someone actually mentioned that.
I am genuinely surprised. I loved that game and I was seriously debating giving it AoEII's spot on my list. I didn't because it's just a carbon copy of the engine all done up in Star Wars, but still.
Come here and give me a hug.

Caramel Frappe said:
I can't help but notice those are all relatively recent titles. Do you not actually have any older nostalgic games worth mentioning? Or are you simply a newer gamer than most of us here (if you don't mind me asking)?

Casey Sims

Sep 25, 2012
Age of Empires II- Age of Kings and the expansion pack
Brought me into the RTS genre, and still one of the better ones I have played since

Star Wars: x-Wing for the mac
the first actual video game I had ever played, despite not really comprehending what was going on inside that cockpit. Also introduced me to other flight simulators, some of which are on my list of favorite games of all time.

Crash Bandicoot
I have broke 2 controllers, 1 memory card, and a couch over trying to beat this game all the way through when I was younger. First console game to really suck me in for hours and days, and an amazing platformer to boot.

Fallout
While the sequels were good, the original is superior in some ways. I am not a fan of TBS games, but fallout almost changed that. an amazing RPG, with a story, and a gameplay system that seemed very intuitive at the time. Really brought me into the RPG genre more than anything else.

Half-Life 2 (and the rest of the series, but saying that is probably cheating)
while I loved valve already after portal and tf2, HL2 had a great story, some scares, gameplay and, well, just everything.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So happy to see some people mention Lineage 2, lets me know that I'm not crazy.

Yes, there was a lot of grinding to be done, but when you do that with many people or your clan in the amazing temples or do a lot of boss fights, plus do the right quests, you don't even think about it. I took on Antharas with more than 200 people, nothing I did in WoW was that epic.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
In no order
1. pokemon silver
The first pokemon game I ever played, I played it constantly. When I slept I had my hands up like they were holding a gameboy and my thumbs twitching away.
2. Civilization 3
This game set off my love of strategy games, I remember they were selling at my school during a book fair, I got home and played for a eight hours straight.
3. Kingdom Hearts
I just love this game it's just so unique, and it's the only game I really feel a since of nostalgia about.
4. Battlefield 3
It's the fps I have played the most and my favorite. I am a very competitive person so military shooters are a favorite of mine.
5. League of Legends
One of the most competitive games out there, why I love it so much. I know the community is pretty bad but I love it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play for while due to technical difficulties.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
Sonic the Hedgehog
My first game ever... and my introduction into adventure gaming. :) I adore this game so much, and I enjoy playing it. I swear, this game really just makes me happy by just being near and me just hearing it's music.

Pokemon Red
:) I really have to add this since it is deeply ingrained into my childhood. So many hours devoted to capturing and leveling my Pokemon. It kind of awakened my need to gather and collect. It also established a level of nostalgia in me that I'm not used to. To this day, I still cannot recapture the joy I felt with the old-school games with today's generation of Pokemon. FireRed and LeafGreen does a decent job though, albeit I miss the large Pokeball icons for items since for some reason... it really made me feel a sense of nostalgia seeing them. I had to get a ROM for this game just so I can play it again.

Shadow Hearts
It's an unusual RPG that I got into because of a dear friend. There were times where it frustrated me, but I love this game. :) It taught me that you can give a delightful spin to any game and make it just so much more interesting. Especially with the occult references. The music was amazing, and the characters were all eclectic and amusing. :)

Silent Hill 3
I've gotta add this game instead of SH2 for one major reason... I played this before SH2, and this has to be one of the few games where I genuinely loved the protagonist for their faults and characteristics. I loved the voice acting of this game, the atmosphere, and the story. This introduced me into Psychological Horror, and it really influenced my interest into Silent Hill as a whole.

Runescape
My first MMORPG... it took many hours from my life and I devoted so much effort to grinding for money and experience. :T Not all of my memories are good, but I love this game and it did shape me in a way. Although, I still cannot mine to this day, not without remembering all of the hours I had wasted on it and remembering just how badly burned out I was at the end.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
1. The Ace Combat Series (PS2 and newer)
Some of the first games I ever played (For some unfathomable reason Ace Combat 4 is rated E, so I got to play it back in third grade), and still my favorite game series with extraordinarily good stories, the best soundtracks ever, and really fun fighter-jet gameplay. They're definitive of my style as a gamer because this is where my love of any flying vehicles originated, and because of how early in my life I played them.

2. The Mass Effect Trilogy
My second favorite series, these games are great about two of my favorite things to see in games-- an excellent story and plenty of action.

3. Civilization IV (and now V!)
Another of my favorites, the Civilization games are some of the first strategy games I played and really set the stage for my love of strategy, both RTS and turn-based. I have over 200 hours invested in Civ V and no regrets. (Honorable mention to the Total War games here too.)

4. Star Wars: Battlefront (I and II)
True classics, and the first shooters I ever played, and I still play them now. These games instilled a love of team-based shooters that still persists, though now I mostly get that particular fix through Battlefield 3.

5. Pokemon
The first game I ever played has to be on this list, of course. The awesomeness of the Pokemon series was what got me into gaming, and I still enjoy Pokemon now.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I will bite but change the title to 'titles that define me as a person', been gaming since I was 8 years old. Ok, let's get it on.

Crash Bandicoot 3 - Vigilance

After managing to actually beat the game without a memory card (which is something I did a long time ago since I didn't know memory cards existed), the game didn't end and I realised that there was more to it. From that point on, I try to be as prepared as possible for any situation I am getting in for the 1st time.

Burnout 3 Takedown and Wipeout HD - Perseverence

I put those two together for the simple fact that they are the same thing when it comes to learning something. Forget trial and error. Trying again becomes second nature with these game even if you have beaten them twice. You have to insist on quite a lot of races, zone modes and burning laps, epsecially the hot rod burning lap and the euro circuit racer burning lap.

Shadow Of The Colossus - Thinking outside the box

Back then when the internet was a heathen and strange place for me to be, I got up to a Colossi with a beard that I couldn't find a way climb on. I hid myself behind a pillar and when he started crouching and searching for me, I grabbed his beard and climbed on his head.

Tekken 3 - Seeing between the lines

The frame by frame sessions I had when I was little led me to believe that Tekken wasn't playing itself. The players weren't improvising and the moves were sometimes repeating themselves. I dug a little bit more and finally found my first command list.

God Of War II - Points Of View

When Kratos decided to go nuclear on the Greek pantheon, I was taken aback a bit. I had been learning for quite some time that the Gods were fair when they had to but also cruel when it suited them. Kratos' motive for revenge was still left a bit unexplained for the entirety of the game and his determination kept hiding something.

Kratos wasn't seeing the Gods from my point of view. Even without the prequels that expanded further on his character, Kratos wanted to destroy them not simply because of their empty promises (they said they were gonna rid him of his nightmares but they knew from the beginning that they couldn't) but also because they represented a part of his life that he couldn't control.

From that moment, I realised that one's opinion on something is not unique and not necesarily correct. He had a right to have one, though.

Sh1nobu

Nov 23, 2009
1. Warcraft III/FT

This is pretty much my childhood summarized with one word. I spent more hours fiddling in the World Editor than I have ever sunk into any game ever (Maybe with the exeption being the second one.) It's the game that has converted me into a Blizzard nut, and shaped my life in untold ways. It also gave me the basis of being a code monkey.

2. World of Warcraft

This is so much more than I game at this point. I started out in vanilla, and was playing actively up to WotLK. I have no idea where I'd be without this game, since pretty much all of my friends I currently have in real life, I've met trough WoW. The game also managed to cram tons of leadership & management skills into my skull.

3. Knights of the Old Republic

I'm not sure how many times I've played trough this game. I can probably complete Taris when I'm asleep. This game still retains the best combat system of any RPG ever. I've heard other players giving that aspect slack - I've got no idea why. The game also teached me that being a Min-maxer is cool.

4. No More Heroes

A whole summer with no PC and a Wii. This game is brilliant and has tons of replay value. The combat's much more than button smashing with self imposed limits and the game has an excellent sense of humor. I won't even start talking about the colorful characters or the best soundtrack EVER.

5. The Whole MOBA Genre

I can't exlude them, due to the massive amounts of manhours I've put into them.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
1. Maniac Mansion -
It was my first adventure and i almost played everything from Lucas Arts that came out after Monkey Island. I loved these adventures and today i`m glad that Telltale brought some of them and the concept back.

2. Commander Keen -
My first jump and run. In 94 i bought an snes from a classmate and started to play the nintendo games like the Mario and Donkey Kong franchise but Apogee started it.

3. Doom -
I had the chance to take a look at Wolfenstein at my cousins house but Doom was the first FPS i could lay my hands on and up until now i never got really sick of the genre.

4. Diablo -
This was my first experience with looting and setting skills (i know it`s not really setting skills if you just select a different class and D2 did this way better but it was new and enough for me at this time). I really like these mechanics and that they aren`t used just for rpg games only. It doesn`t really matter in which genre but looting and setting skills is a big good motivation and replayability factor.

5. GTA3 -
I`ve played the first and liked the concept of grabbing what you want and move freely. In GTA3 it really kicked of in 3d. I was blown away how different it felt to not beeing reduced to the top down view. Today i take a closer look at every open world game since they all have their flaws. The exploration factor, the feeling of beeing able to decide what to do/where to go next and the ability to create my own fun is it worth.

Argh, finished already? No, no, no.
Just two little short things.

5.1 Mario Kart -
Splitscreen, a good friend and enough beer. No need for further words.

5.2 Soldier of Fortune 2 -
My first epic online experience running around on self generated maps with 32 vs 32 players.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
1. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

This will always be MY game, THE game, the one I use to judge all others. I will always lament the loss of Swingin' Ape Studios to Activision/Blizzard.

2. XCOM

Both the original and the reboot. Nothin' makes me feel like a Fractactical Genus like making it through a mission outgunned and outnumbered with no personnel losses.

3. Infinity Blade

This is the ONLY game I dread leveling up since it forced me to part with items I loved or else face a severe experience loss. That, and it was just a plain great take on the punch-out! formula.

4. Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

This encompasses all of them, although my favorites will always be Dark Crusade and Soulstorm. Ever since I played them I CANNOT go back to RTS games that don't let me build entire squads of soldiers at a time. Being able to build squads and controlling them as a single unit just makes it so much easier to micromanage.

5. Powerstone and Powerstone 2.

The only fighting games I truly enjoy. None of that "frame-cancelling" bullshit that requires ninja-fingers, just balls-out bombastic fun with super powers and insane items. I lost so many hours to these as a child.