The Five games that define you as a gamer

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
The five games that defined me as a gamer are:

1. Planetside on PC: What's funny is how much influence this game had on my life, especially considering I never actually bought or played it! It was just the idea of a modern FPS with decent graphics that inspired me to build my first true gaming rig. I ended up picking up Counterstrike instead and bumping into some furries randomly on a server and making a lot of friends that way (I still talk to a few of them actually).

2. Fallout 3/NV: These two sync with personal interests. I looove exploring and I looove post apocalyptic settings. I'm kind of sad now that I finished literally all of the DLCs for both titles and fully explored the worlds. I can't get enough of these (I also played Fallout 1 and 2 a fair amount, although they didn't have the influence that 3 and NV had on me).

3. Final Fantasy 1 on NES: I remember seeing this at a friends house a long time ago. This *is* the game that single handedly pulled me into the rpg genre. I like how you can design your own team in this also. The only other games that are similar really are Dragon Warrior 3 and those old SSI D&D PC games. (I cheated and stole the dragon lance off the default team in one of them :p)

4. Sega Rally (original) on PC: I wanted to say Gran Turismo but this was easily one of the best racing games I've ever played. It had so many variables like car damage, weather, multiple tuning adjustments, good music and fairly realistic physics and so on going for it. It was really, really fun and a bit ahead of it's time IMHO. A modern version of this as mentioned by another poster is DiRT, another really sweet racing game (also one of the rare few that I played through all the way to the end).

5. Dark Souls on PS3: This is what you get when you combine all the fun aspects of games like Contra, Zelda: OoT, Tomb Raider and Metroid into one port. What I mean by that are: Fast paced action, Z-targeting / dodging, exploration with minimalistic story telling and music (similar to Tomb Raiders, "less is more" philosophy) and the ability to hot swap gear on the fly, including some utility items (like binoculars), not to mention minimal save points (bonfires). Once you figure out the controls it's a very rewarding and interesting experience to partake in, unlike anything else on the market IMHO.

Psycomantis777

Apr 24, 2012
Ooh, lessee.

Doom- First game I ever played, or at least first I remember playing, introduced me to shooting stuff, explosions, demons.

Bloody Roar 1 and 2- Oldish fighter game similar to Mortal Kombat, Tekken, that sort of thing, not as well known but still much better than those, I think.

Worms- Seen this one on here already, but yeah, awesome game, funny, original, classic.

Oblivion- I think Skyrim certainly improved a lot and the graphics certainly look...awful when you go back. I mean, not pixely but everyone looks like they're made of dough, but I played this game so much it's physically painful to try to do so now, I could probably write a decent walkthrough from memory...Don't regret it.

Legacy of Cain- Because everyone needs to remember that vampires used to be cool and blue people rock.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Super Mario World- The first game I really really loved

Kirby's Dream Land- the first game I remember beating on my own

Morrowind- the first game that really showed me the scope of what games can do as well as the power of the modder

Guitar Hero- the first time I ever ended up playing a game with relative strangers

Persona 4- the game that makes all other games indescribably worse just by its golden existence

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
Dark Cloud 2
Because I love a game where you have to go back and fourth to make sure everthing is done correctly to make the best outcome.

Final Fantasy Series
Unlike many I started in FFIV and fell in love with the lore and story. FFVII just made it that much better. But my Fav would be FFIX Freya FTW!

Also, pretty much any JRPG I seem to love.

Counter Strike
We used to play this an Unreal Tournment in school during computer class. Teacher hated it but we always finished work quickly so we could.

Elder Scrolls Series
I love open world games where I can do what ever the hell I want. I can go into a small town and kill everyone and no one can stop me. I can mod like hell and make my own mansion that floats above the castle of the king, to show him how much better I am than he..

Mass Effect Series
Because I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite game on the interwebs

Honorable Mention
Okami
I love the art style
Borderlands 1&2
I love everything about it..
Command and Conquer Series
Only RTS I'm good at..

Valis7

Oct 17, 2012
Chrono Trigger:
The first RPG I really got into, and the reason I'm a gamer. Up until then all I knew was streets of rage, mario, & sonic. This was the first time I played a game that felt like an interactive book. I could explore the world, travel through time and enjoy a great story with memorable characters & music. Great adventure.

Metal Gear Solid:
Again, rekindled my love for games. It has a cold, dark atmosphere that complements the game perfectly, an atmosphere that the other Metal Gears lack (imo). Plus it was the first time I actually felt bad for killing a game boss (Sniper Wolf).

Half Life 2:
Hands down the greatest game I ever played. It set every standard that I have. I could go on and on about how perfect I think it is, but I think most reviews could explain it better than me. :p

Shadow of the Colossus:
To me, this game transcended itself - a pure experience. Art.

Mass Effect:
As a Star Trek fan, this is the game I've been dreaming of; an epic Sci-fi action RPG that lets you explore the galaxy, build a crew, and romance alien women. Thanks for the memories Bioware.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I?m confused, is this a list about our most treasured games and experiences or games that define us as ?gamers?

Let me just clarify that this is in no way a list of favourite games.
That?s not to say I do not enjoy these games greatly.
However this list is simply meant to give the best insight into my gaming preferences.

Okay well here I go.

Abes? Oddysee: A great puzzle platformer that fills you with a warm sensation of accomplishment every time you figure out how to overcome an obstacle.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: Outwit you enemies by sneaking past them and making them feel like buffoons knowing they failed to prevent you from reaching your target. Meanwhile you get to also explore some lovely scenery as well(at times)

Hitman Blood Money: A game all about being the perfect assassin. You can either go in Bruce Willis Good Cat style(Lucky Number Sleven) or Tomb Cruise Vincent style(Collateral). It?s up to you.

Mortal Kombat: A fighting game with lore and a story as deep as you want it to be (I guess) and with actual interesting characters from design to, I guess, story (shut up let me see and connect the dots that aren?t there) Yeah I like the fighting too but when it comes down to it, it turns out I?m not much of a fan of fighting games nor am I that good at them. It?s all about the Cryomancers and Tarkatans baby.

Mass Effect: A game that truly allows you to create and role play a character outside of just choosing their stats.(Skyrim). Decisions are always made in a shade of grey, characters are complicated, and there is never really a happy ending for everything. Just like life.
I think the only game I have come across so far that scratches that itch is New Vegas.
Yes I realise I have missed out on others.
Pluss shooting things. Thought I would include that instead of having to honorable mention a shooter just for the sake of stating that I like shooters aswell.

Honorable Mention though.

Spyro The Dragon: I could choose any number of exploration games *Waves at Deus Ex,(Still working my way through it) and nods to Skyrim*
However I think the golden award goes to the game I enjoyed exploring the most. And that goes to my little purple buddy.
And I guess I?ll latch Resident Evil onto this. Now I?m not sure if I am defining myself more as a person and less like a gamer? *Shrugs* oh well I happen to like horror.

So that?s me wrapped in a little package.
Now what all that says about me I don?t really know there is a lot to consider there I guess, so I?ll leave it up to you.

Iskhiaro

Sep 15, 2010
Neverwinter Nights (not my favourite RPG, but the first one that I played that got me on the path to playing really fantastic RPGs like VtM: Bloodlines)

Tie Fighter (Just glorious and fantastic)

Medieval II: Total War (got me on the path to games like Crusader Kings II)

Starcraft (One of my biggest memories from my earlier years of gaming)

Commander Keen (I played a lot of these old games back in the day, and I loved them. Commander Keen was my favourite)

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
1) Mass Effect trilogy.
Quite simply the best games I've ever played. The story, the characters, the game play, the universe, the narrative, and the soundtrack are all absolutely sublime. I was more attached to the story and the characters than I have been with most movies or books I've read. I think it will be a long time before a game is any better than them.

2) Half-Life
The game that defined narrative and pacing in the game industry. The sense of things happening way bigger than what you can see is incredible. It's mysterious, lonely, and extremely compelling.

3) Hitman: Blood Money
Proof that a game an be absolutely amazing without holding your hand. Many other games could learn a huge lesson from this.

4) Company of Heroes
Real time strategy done right. Everything about that game is perfect, I think.

5) Battlefield 2) The perfect Battlefield game. It took the best aspects of 1942 and Vietnam and incorporated them seamlessly into one great game.

Normalguyinthehouse

Jul 18, 2009
1.) KOTOR 2: Not very well received by the majority, this is a game I've played over and over again. The music, the mood, the message, everything about this game is something you wouldn't really expect from Star Wars

2.) Morrowind: My first "real" PC game. one that has always drawn me into a massive world with a truly unique culture and life to it. It may not be as pretty or as interactive but I'd pick Morrowind over Skyrim any day

3.) Fallout: New Vegas: After playing Fallout 3, I found a played Fallout 1 & 2 and, while extremely enjoyable, found them a little dated; spoiled, perhaps by our new age of games. When New Vegas came out I found it to be a great blend of the old games mixed with current styles. Also it helps that I'm a big Obsidian fan

4.) Pokemon: Is there really anything to say about this? My first games played and naturally a fan of the show, I still play them today.

5.) S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Ahhh, there's nothing more terrifying than exploring derelict abandoned Soviet laboratories and military bases. These games makes me want to actually see Pripyat some day

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Final Fantasy Tactics
Quest for Glory (if anybody knows and loves Q4G titles, I am already a friend or yours)
Elder Scrolls
Yoshi's Island
Out of this World

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
ooh...

uh...defines me as a gamer?

1 - Civilization
What can I say? I love micromanagement; slotting all the little pieces of the Rube Goldberg machine together until it goes *clink clank* and the gears start to turn. Which doesn't really explain that I'm really, REALLY bad at it. I have NEVER won a game of Civ. But I don't care. It makes me happy even with the smallest of victories. I played Civ 3 a little, never really understood it, REALLY took off on Civ 4 on a friend's recommendation, and it scratched all the right itches. And you know what? I love Civ 5 too! I have room in my heart for both! FUCK ALL Y'ALL!

2 - XCOM Enemy Unknown (the new one)
Once again, this is an unpopular opinion but FUCK ALL Y'ALL so I'm coming out and saying it. I've played the original, I've enjoyed the original, a lot. But the new once...oh my god, it just ABSORBS me so much more and I love it I love it I love it; again, I've got room for both. What can I say? I love being methodical, being precise, and the occasional hilarious failure. XCOM is full of those moments for me.

3 - Fallout series
I'll admit, it's been a long time since I played Fallouts 1 and 2, but as with everything else, I was somewhat late to the party. What can I say? The time spent in that world across Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas has got to be a higher figure than all my other gaming combined. And unlike so many others, I have room for all of them. None of them are superior or inferior. Maybe it's because I'm late to the party.

4 - Final Fantasy VIII
This was one of the first games I remember captivating me. Thing is, I've watched Spoony's review, and I agree with all of his points. But I still love it. The art design, the soundtrack especially. Maybe that's something to do with it being one of my first gaming loves, but...

5 - Stacking/Machinarium
Uh...yeah alright this is cheap because I couldn't think of a fifth; but I'unno, I've got a special place for charming adventure/puzzle games. Stacking and Machinarium are just two examples.

CarolusRex

Jan 20, 2012
1: Pokemon Red

This was the first game that I picked up. I was about 4 when it came out and my mother had bought it for me for my birthday. This was effectively my first step into the gaming world.

2: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time effectively drew me in to the immense genre of Roleplaying Games and pretty much solidified it as my favourite genre.

3: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

This was one of the first Open World RPGs I played, really got me hooked on the Elder Scrolls series too, even had me looking for the older ones when I got a bit older and understood what I was doing a bit more.

4: World of Warcraft

I've sunk my time and money into this game ever since day 1 of Burning Crusade (Unfortunately I missed out on Vanilla) but it's the MMO that got me into MMOs, even if I took a break throughout most of Wrath and a small amount of Cataclysm, it's still one of my favourite games I own. Especially now with Pandaria.

5: Warcraft III

The second RTS I played (The first being Age of Empires) however it was the one that drew me in the most. It's what got me into the RTS genre and had me hooked on it from day 1. The use of heroes and such was a nice bonus too and the campaign was just amazing. In my opinion anyway.

But these are the 5 games that defined me as a gamer I suppose.
If not, they're definitely the footholds that started my quest through gamerdom.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Bushido Blade 2 - perfect one vs one fighter. I'm still pissed that there wasn't anything else nearly as good as this. Good balance, a newb has a chance against a vet (albeit a slim one, but still) Makes Soul Calibur look redundant (I love SC, by the way) Street FIghter Two almost got in here, but it can be difficult for the uninitiated. BB2 however the rookie is potentially just as deadly as the pro. Genius! How has the industry failed to give this back to us in this day of online game play???!?!?

Tenchu Wrath of Heaven - nice blend of Stealth, exploration, and Ninja-y goodness, if this had the multiplayer and graphics of a current gen with its core mechanics intact, sigh oh the dollars I would spend. If they could somehow mix Tenchu with Assassins Creeds mechanics and Diablo 2's perpetual shiny hunt and online functionality, my contentment would be complete and I would die happy. But as it was, it was perfect at it's time.
-----I wanted to mention Hideo Kojima MGS?? but its hard to pick which one. The fan service in here is incredible, and the replay value is off the charts. there is always something hidden to find, like the ghosts in MGS4, or the different camos and audio tracks or weapons. That with the 5-star production make these games a joy to experience.

Diablo 2 LoD - fulfills my need to lvl up and collect shinys. Plus online grouping, and pvp (albeit horribly unbalanced and abusable), its no wonder this game lasted for so long. I can't even begin to count how many times I uninstalled this game (to break the addiction) only to reinstall it months later. It was like the digital version of cigarettes. Was going to Say Castlevania SoTN for the need to collect swords, but it lost out because it is but a single player romp. also worthy of note Muramasa TDB; did I mention I like to collect swords?

I remember there was one point in time in college where I and 3 of my friends didnt have very much money, but we had ganja and we had a Nintendo 64. and we had Mario Kart and Golden Eye. and Beer. Some of those wasted evenings (double entendre) ended up being filled with some of the best laughter I can recall. It was then I realized (even as I decimated them) that, as Gouki said, it is truly the path and not the goal. I was having fun because of them, not because of the game itself, and not because I was winning. So now when I play, I play to have fun, but not necessarily to win. I'd think that it is hard for alot of gamers online to grasp that concept. Nintendo as a company and developer group usually has a good handle on this concept, as evident by the wii, holy sh*t when that first came out it was fun! IF you played with some good buddies. It's like the gestalt principle as applied to digital entertainment.

So I could technically call those two out and have them round up my count. which I very well may do because even now, when I play any game online, I am trying to recreate the multiplayer fun that I had had back then. It is achieved sometimes in Assassin's Creed or Gran Tourismo and so on (Halo 3 with buddies and Randoms had many many laughable moments), and sometimes I would find such laughter in Final Fantasy online 11 or 14, But it is only because of those classic Nintendo multiplayer titles that I know exactly what kind of fun I am looking for.

so for the tl:dr crowd

Bushido Blade 2
Tenchu Wrath of Heaven
Diablo 2 LoD
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye

and to think I didnt even get a chance to use this ._.
This has gotta be my favourite mario title, and my favourite musical theme for the plumber

CarolusRex

Jan 20, 2012
Spookimitsu said:
Diablo 2 LoD - fulfills my need to lvl up and collect shinys. Plus online grouping, and pvp (albeit horribly unbalanced and abusable), its no wonder this game lasted for so long. I can't even begin to count how many times I uninstalled this game (to break the addiction) only to reinstall it months later. It was like the digital version of cigarettes. Was going to Say Castlevania SoTN for the need to collect swords, but it lost out because it is but a single player romp. also worthy of note Muramasa TDB; did I mention I like to collect swords?
Oh my God, yes. Diablo II was amazing, I was going to put it in my list but I completely forgot about it until just now. I know what you mean about the addiction too, I'd uninstalled that game countless times just so I could pry myself away from it. I was sad when I lost my discs sometime at the beginning of this year, but then I got it free again thanks to the Collector's Edition of Diablo III. I think it's safe to say, even this year I've still clocked more hours on D2 than I have on D3.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
5. Pimp my Ride
This is the game that helped me decipher enjoyment factors based on 5-star review scales. This taught me that a game rated anything 2+ could have enjoyment found within. anything 3-, which this game was 3, would stop being fun and start being a very bad experience at some point. Fours would feel like average fun to me and Fives I would really like. This was when I was around 13-14 though and I no longer care much about review scores.

4. Grand Theft Auto IV
This is the game that made me actually start thinking about brown. While playing this game I would get frequent headaches but I thought nothing of them. A year later I would try Dead space but would have to stop after the first level because I didn't feel to good. The when I purchased GTA IV Liberty City Stories and started Lost and Dammed I couldn't even play it. Every attempt would leave me in a sick state for several hours. It was just so ugly and un-enjoyable. I haven't even started Gay Tony which I think looks fun but I'm afraid I'll be sick from that too. Brown games tend to give off this boring feeling. Gears went from Forgettable to Awful to Alright with it's series only because in the last game it lightened up in mood.

3. Super Mario Sunshine
Admittedly, this doesn't solely define me as a gamer but can apply to games. This is pretty much the game that I realized first fit into the notion that I'm partial toward Tropical Island themes. I'm not racist but when I say that I don't mean a white persons recreation of a tropical setting but an actual representation of one where he'd have to go to experience it. I like Meet the Fockers only because of the setting. I hate white Ukulele music like Jason Mraz. Going back to Gears 3, My favorite part of the game was on the island.

2. Super Mario World (Super Mario All*Stars)
This is the game that started my enjoyment of games. I just look at it and it feels like it's just so fun and so good. I prefer this over SMB3 cause it just has more flavor.(Get it?) I look at all the Rom Hacks and I feel like I want to play all of them.

1. TimeSplitters 2 (GameCube)
This is the game that I think of when I transitioned from liking to play games a lot to being a "gamer". This game (and UT 2004) helped me realize my favorite game type ever, Assault. This is the game that got made me creative in the ways I BS in games and also legitimately play them. I'm one of the only people who feel this was a better game than Future Perfect.

the_hoffs_ego

Oct 11, 2010
1. Kotor

Kotor was the first real RPG I played. It made me appreciate a good story, and know how good a game can really be. The characters made me care about characters in games more than just the pixels they are, I still can't finish a dark side playthrough.

2. Age of Empires II: Age of Kings

This is one that goes beyond me as a gamer. AoE made me love history, even if its campaigns weren't entirely accurate. Strategy games are still a favorite of mine, in more recent years Civ has taken over the mantle.

3. Call of Duty 4

I consider CoD4 to be my first mature game. I wasn't allowed to play most shooting games until my late pre-teens, and what a one to start with. The multiplayer alone made me set my bar quite high, while the single player made me appreciate when a FPS can deliver an engaging story.

4. Mass Effect 2

While I played the original first of course, Mass Effect 2 both changed and perpetuated the way I looked at RPGs. It reinforced my need for a tight story with exceptionally well done characters, the blend of shooting and RPG mechanics made it the epitome of RPGs for me, at least for the time being.

5. Pokemon Silver

I got Pokemon Yellow when I was 3. At first I didn't understand, of course, but as I got a little older it made sense to me. I truly believe it kickstarted my mental development. But Pokemon Silver is the defining Pokemon for me. The size of the game, the fact that I could return to the realm of Yellow, was incredible. Even now I search for hidden things that allow me to connect to the previous game in a series, or to expand the game considerably when I least expect it.

Bill Nye the Zombie

Apr 27, 2012
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
The first real video game I ever played, I was around 7 or 8 at the time, and I would play it at military base exchange, when they had it hooked up on the TV, which was almost all the time, for the entire time we were there, and when I got to take a copy home after I got a GameCube? I was ecstatic.

Rome: Total War
I started with Medieval II, but Rome got me hooked to the Total War Series, and is the reason I'm a loyal Total War fan.

Crusader Kings II
Before I got this game, I thought games like these were just big lists with no fun whatsoever. Afterwords I bought Victoria II, and am waiting very impatiently for March of Eagles and Europa Universalis IV.

Call of Duty and Call of Duty: United Offensive
My first FPSs. Both were fantastic games, and I still have fond memories of them. Shame what happened to their franchise after COD 4.

Dragon Age: Origins
The first RPG I ever really sunk my teeth into. Id played KoTOR, but never really got into it. Dragon Age was the first time an RPG got to me, and I've been on the lookout for good RPGs ever since.

ELD3RGoD

Apr 23, 2010
There are so many... I'd have to say

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus - My favourite game/s of all time.

Red Alert - Introduced me to RTS.

Gears of War 1 - My first ever Multiplayer game and to this date my favourite multiplayer game of all time.

Halo CE - My second shooter after UT, first shooter I understood.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask/Wind Waker/Oracle of Ages/Seasons etc - My second favourite franchise of all time.

Notable other games would be:
Dawn of Wars, Spyro the Dragons, Crash Bandicoots, Company of Heroes, KKND: Krossfire, Burnouts, FIFAs, Half Life, KOTORs, Star Wars: Battlefronts, C&C: RA2, Generals, Unreal Tournaments, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Sonic, CoD (1,2,3 + 4) and Elder Scrolls: Morrowind/Oblivion.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
my first game was sonic. 7 years old, waiting patiently by the TV at the daycare for the sixth-grade boys to give me a turn, then sucking at it for a long time until the controller became an extension of my hands and the buttons a vehicle for my every thought. sonic has a special place in my heart and tops the list, because without him i can't say i'd be a gamer today. which is why i don't play new sonic games anymore.

legend of zelda: wind waker was the first game i played all the way through to the end, at home, after begging for a gamecube for six straight months. another milestone, another lifelong love. still my favorite zelda game.

silent hill 2 was my first horror game and since horror is my favorite genre it needs a place in here. i never understood before this game why you need to keep the sound on while you play to get the full effect.

my favorite game now is terraria, because i love the exploration, the seamless co-op/single-player integration, and how well-realized the imaginative game world is. you can basically turn it into anything you want, and that's incredibly cathartic at times for a frustrated artist in a dead-end job. it's an escape, not just another mindless mining game.

and my fifth game is yet to be decided. i have yet to lose myself in a game world. the first one that manages to immerse me for hours will be another one that ranks in my most important, defining games.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Let's see here, I'll try and not just use my top 5.

Halo- Started the whole gaming thing with me. For better or worse it led me to where I am and, coincidentally, helped me pick out my career. So yeah, go Halo.

Portal 2- It's funny, creative, intelligent and so much better with a good friend. Kind of expresses what I love most about my own life. It's also my favorite game of all time.

Shadow of the Colossus- Mix in beauty, epic scale bosses, and an amazing soundtrack and you have one stellar game. It shows us that games can be mindless fun yet so much more as well.

Fallout: New Vegas- I love me some good old RPG. New Vegas brings that fully realized fallout world without watering down the experience like Fallout 3. There's no wrong way to play it and I can't get enough.

Spec Ops: The Line- This game really surprised me. I knew there was something unique about it but when I found myself so emotionally impacted by, what's essentially an analysis on the hero complex, I just couldn't stop thinking about it. A perfect example of the media moving forward.