The Flash Gets Extended Trailer

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
The Flash Gets Extended Trailer

The CW wraps up The Flash's origin story in a five-minute trailer.

The CW has released an extended trailer for the upcoming series The Flash. The extended trailer builds on the first look [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134524-First-Trailer-For-CWs-The-Flash-Debuts] that CW released earlier today. The Flash is the second superhero series for The CW, spinning off from the DC Comics-based Arrow. Barry Allen was introduced as a CSI technician in Arrow, before a combination of being splattered with chemical and being hit by lightning turned him into the The Flash.

The trailer brings in the involvement of S.T.A.R. Labs, a research facility in the DC Universe. In the wake of his electrical encounter, Allen has inexplicably buffed up, and the rate at which he heals is greatly increased compared to an average person. As he begins to discover his powers, Allen and the S.T.A.R. Labs researchers test out his speed, clocking him at over 700 miles per hour. We learn there are other "meta-humans" like Allen out there, including a bank robber Clyde Mardon, who has the ability to control the weather. Mardon is likely DC supervillain Weather Wizard [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Wizard], without the brightly colored costume and with a slight name change. Meta-humans were created in the wake of the particle accelerator explosion, which caused the storm and the lightning that struck Allen. We also get a better look at the full new costume for The Flash, apparently helpfully developed by one of the S.T.A.R. lab technicians just in case Allen might want one. I'm sensing a bit of unrequited love here.

The series will follow Allen in his day job for the Central City police force while he also fights crime as The Flash. The Flash premieres on The CW this fall.

Source: The CW [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0l7iGKh8g]

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Looks promising but I'm still iffy on the costume. I think I know what role John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen in the previous Flash live action series, is playing-Barry Allen's father.

There are some "blink and you miss it" moments in the beginning of the video; one where you see John in a photograph of the Allen family and possibly another when Professor Zoom kills Barry's mom as someone grabs young Barry.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Looks like the TV budget just went up. CW/WB/DC working hard on the TV side which I must admit, they are better at than Marvel.

DC has better games and TV series (maybe cartoons)
Marvel has better movies.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Valderis said:
It looks... aged? Like something that should have been made years ago but now looks shitty.

The dialog is horribly boring and the special effects don't really look special.

This is going to be a bad movie, a boring bad movie, a annoying boring bad movie.

I wonder what Movie Bob will say about it.
Not a movie, a series. Which might also explain why the effects aren't exactly top Hollywood quality.

I liked the effects myself and the concept seemed functional. The costume bothered me a bit and the writing fell a bit flat, but I'd have to see a complete episode before jumping into conclusions. Also, I couldn't quite catch what tone they were going for, hopefully something a bit more light hearted.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Is it just me or does the guy playing flash really not seem that good of an actor? It just crossed my mind during the hospital scene at the beginning and couldn't get it out of my head through the rest of the trailer.

JD's brother from Scrubs? Cool. Still isn't flash supposed to be the comedian of the team? This trailer had no jokes. I know its too early to judge something like that but I really hope we aren't getting another dark and gritty Dark knight/Man of steel wannabe in this TV series.

By the way, Captain America called, he wants his helmet back.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Valderis said:
It looks... aged? Like something that should have been made years ago but now looks shitty.

The dialog is horribly boring and the special effects don't really look special.

This is going to be a bad movie, a boring bad movie, a annoying boring bad movie.

It's a TV show...how did you miss that?

OT: this actually looks pretty good and my interest has been piqued - let's see how well it actually holds up though.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Valderis said:

It's not a movie. o.o TV show, ala Arrow and Smallville.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Did I see a Green Lantern reference in there?

Darth Marsden said:
That looked so incredibly, wonderfully goofy.
Being less serious would very likely be to its advantage. If they go that route. It looked a little...Too serious for its own good to me.

Paradox SuXcess said:
Looks like the TV budget just went up. CW/WB/DC working hard on the TV side which I must admit, they are better at than Marvel.

DC has better games and TV series (maybe cartoons)
Marvel has better movies.
DC has definitely had better cartoons.

I mean, Marvel's cranked out a couple decent ones in recent years (Though not all of them through Marvel....), but I think DC's got a major edge there.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
So it's an Arrow spinoff. Why can't DC do the same with, say, Cyborg and Diana ? Hmm ? Instead of cramming everything there is to be crammed in the next Superman movie ?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wait...wait.

Did they seriously just reveal REVERSE FLASH in the TEASER?

Holy crap!
Ha..ha..ha...wow.

Good on them.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I admit, as a fan of the character and the original TV show, this looks surprisingly good (not great, but good).

Still prefer Wally West, but oh well (curse you New 52).

THIS is what I wanted in Agents of SHIELD that I still haven't really gotten. SUPERHEROES and SUPERVILLAINS in a world full of meta-humans, crime fighting, and comic-book indulgence (instead of mere samples).

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm excited. I have my misgivings about Arrow as it goes. A lot of the acting is questionable. Some of the writing is not so hot. But it's definitely a top tier live action super hero show. And I don't think I'm alone when I say the last few episodes of this past season (finale was yesterday) were really fantastic. They felt like what Dark Knight Returns should have felt like, it was substantially less boring.

This show honestly looks good. And I'm glad they are starting to add metahumans into the newly established TV universe. Should prove interesting. Also, nice thing on showing Reverse Flash as the one who killed Barry's parents. Should make for a very exciting villain if the show takes off, which I hope it does.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It look promising, I guess I should start watching Arrow. I know for one thing is that it certain look better than the last Flash series in the 90's well from the look of it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Why do the costumes look so washed out? Not a major gripe but why these series decide to actually go all out in terms of story but then try to 'grit up' the aesthetics is beyond me.

Thor Doomhammer

Mar 29, 2010
I actually had to search around for a bit to see if The Escapist got taken in by a hoax. That looks so awful that I was convinced it could only be a parody on superhero movies.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Due to my love of The Flash I will give this show a chance but if it is to be any good (in my eyes, anyway) it has to be as different and far removed from Arrow as possible. I know alot of people like Arrow and I am glad someone does but to me it just feels like a show made by people who really wanted to make a Batman show but were told they were not allowed to use Batman.