The Force Unleashed: The Next Star Wars Movie?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Brockyman post=7.72427.765126 said:
Calling it proprely "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" shows that while this movie was the start, that STAR WARS is the name of the genre, the universe, the brand, the overarching story, the whole expanded universe, not just one movie.
Dude, it's Star Wars. Period, end of original creative concept. The "New Hope" stuff was tacked on in 81 once Lucas realized he could ride this money train for a good long time if he kept cranking out sequels, but Star Wars it was and Star Wars it is. Now, I may like poking fun at the kids now and then, but if people really want to call it A New Hope I don't particularly care. I just think it sounds silly.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Malygris post=7.72427.767514 said:
Brockyman post=7.72427.765126 said:
Calling it proprely "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" shows that while this movie was the start, that STAR WARS is the name of the genre, the universe, the brand, the overarching story, the whole expanded universe, not just one movie.
Dude, it's Star Wars. Period, end of original creative concept. The "New Hope" stuff was tacked on in 81 once Lucas realized he could ride this money train for a good long time if he kept cranking out sequels, but Star Wars it was and Star Wars it is. Now, I may like poking fun at the kids now and then, but if people really want to call it A New Hope I don't particularly care. I just think it sounds silly.
I'm glad that your using the "because I said so" arguement. It's been awhile since I've heard that one. I know for a fact that the episode title wasn't tacked on b/c I've talked to be who saw it IN THE THEATRE. (It came out before I was born). Plus, he had the idea of doing multiple stories from the beginning...not just after the first one was successful. The fact it was sucessful ALLOWED him to make more movies based on his stories.

I think the "riding the money train" thing gets really really really old too. Have some of the prequals and other media had legitmate issues? Indeed, even though a lot of them are overblown.

But its not right or fair to critize a man for providing the majoritay of fans with what they want....more! It's almost like a lot of fans get pissed b/c George Lucas made a profit off of anything he did and should have made all of his movies for free. I know there are (very few)people that wanted to see the franchise die after Return of the Jedi, but a lot of fans wanted to know what happened after Return, hence the books and comics, and many more wanted to know what happended before the events of "A New Hope", hence the prequals and KOTOR. Look at Indiana Jones! They weren't going to make a 4th one after the script died the first time, but you know what? People WANTED IT! Was it perfect.. NO, but it happened b/c of the fans, not just to line his pockets!

(And all of this isn't directed at you Malygris...just ranting on stuff I've seen over the years. We just have to agree to disagree on the movie's proper title.)

Feb 13, 2008
Brockyman post=18.72427.770103 said:
I know for a fact that the episode title wasn't tacked on b/c I've talked to be who saw it IN THE THEATRE. (It came out before I was born).
Dude. I saw it on the second day of release. Back in 1977.

It was Star Wars. It even said so on all the packaging. Malygris is right on this and it's a little unwise to fight with a mod.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=7.72427.770120 said:
Brockyman post=18.72427.770103 said:
I know for a fact that the episode title wasn't tacked on b/c I've talked to be who saw it IN THE THEATRE. (It came out before I was born).
Dude. I saw it on the second day of release. Back in 1977.

It was Star Wars. It even said so on all the packaging. Malygris is right on this and it's a little unwise to fight with a mod.
Never did I deny that. A friend of mine has an orignal movie poster that says "Star Wars". I get that. And I also know for a fact that Chapter IV: A New Hope was shown when the Yellow Story Credits rolled.

I don't know if you saw the rest of my posts, the reason the "packaging" just had "Star Wars" instead of the full title was for marketing purposes...it was too long and the story was unknown, so putting a subtitle was not needed. The subtitle tells what THAT movie is about, a new hope in Luck Skywalker's learning of the force and the Jedi, a major defeat for the empire. like Empire and Return do. Heck, even type Star Wars in Wikipedia, it will say "This article is about the media franchise. For the 1977 film, see Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. For other uses, see Star Wars (disambiguation)."

I don't really see what the big deal is. It's going to be called whatever George Lucas and 20th Century Fox want to call it. It's their property. If you wanted to change your name or something you created you have every right to do so, and just b/c you grew up with it, or love it, or worship the franchise still doesn't really give you rights over his and the studio. I would assume that you also were against the Speical Edition versions of the 3 originals as well. If Da Vinci came forward in time, and wanted to rename the Mona Lisa, he can do that.

Also, as far as "fighting" a mod. I'm not afraid to debate anyone. Malygris seems like a great guy and is an adult just like I am and I'm sure that he wouldn't abuse his power b/c of a simple debate as long as I don't break the rules, and I would never intentionaly do so. This is a fun place to debate and share ideas. I'm not angry at anyone, and the reason my posts are long is I'm trying to lay out my arguement well b/c I feel I need to fully explain my idea.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm not really sure why you're arguing this point. The movie was subtitled in the early 80s to fit in as part of Lucas' "grand vision," but the fact - the undisputed, incontrovertible fact - is that when Star Wars was released, there was no "Episode IV," no subtitle, no nothing. It was Star Wars. I'm not going to continue this conversation further because there's nothing here to debate. (I will, however, see your Wiki and raise you an IMDB where you may notice that the movie written and directed by George Lucas in 1977 is referred to as "Star Wars.")

PS. I'm not a mod.

PPS. Trying to steer things back to the original point a bit, can someone explain to me - because I'm honestly curious - how it is that Darth Vader had an apprentice? My understanding of things has always been that Sith come exclusively in pairs - a master an an apprentice.

PPPS. Han shot first.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
how it is that Darth Vader had an apprentice? My understanding of things has always been that Sith come exclusively in pairs - a master an an apprentice.
Sidious (That is, the Emperor) broke that rule when he had both Dooku and Maul, then Dooku and Anakin, as apprentices during the prequels. People can only theorise that he saw the Sith rule of Two (established by Darth Bane to help make the Sith have less in-fighting) as a pointless, arbitrary rule which wasn't necessary.

We can only assume that Vader felt the same way. Well, either that or he didn't care about the rules and just wanted an apprentice to piss about with. He was meant to be Secret anyway, the Emperor wasn't even meant to know until they'd made their move to take the Empire off him, thereby re-establishing the rule of two.

That's my theory anyway.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Malygris post=7.72427.771045 said:
I'm not really sure why you're arguing this point. The movie was subtitled in the early 80s to fit in as part of Lucas' "grand vision," but the fact - the undisputed, incontrovertible fact - is that when Star Wars was released, there was no "Episode IV," no subtitle, no nothing. It was Star Wars. I'm not going to continue this conversation further because there's nothing here to debate. (I will, however, see your Wiki and raise you an IMDB where you may notice that the movie written and directed by George Lucas in 1977 is referred to as "Star Wars.")

PS. I'm not a mod.

PPS. Trying to steer things back to the original point a bit, can someone explain to me - because I'm honestly curious - how it is that Darth Vader had an apprentice? My understanding of things has always been that Sith come exclusively in pairs - a master an an apprentice.

PPPS. Han shot first.
Fine, this is the last I'll say about it. I'm harping on it b/c basically you didn't read all my posts or respond with any valid points to my arguement other then "b/c I said so". Also, when you say something lame as "I think the next person who calls Stars Wars "A New Hope" should get an internets cockpunch." it requires debate and justification, even though with a short sighted statement like you made, I shouldn't have expected rational thought.

TO BE CLEAR: I Never disagreed that it was RELEASED that way! Information easily obtained from reading my post. Only that the Episode IV and "A New Hope" was in the opening crawl. I KNOW the subtitle was added later to the proper name.

(Clarification: I said that the "episode title wasn't tacked on" in an earlier post...and thats true, the opening crawl had it, but I didn't saw "subtitle"... My point was its always been "A New Hope"...that name didn't come out of nowhere in the 80s. Lucas then made it the title at that point)

BUT the MAIN point is that GEORGE LUCAS CAN CALL HIS MOVIE WHAT HE WANTS! It's not up to you. You are not the deciding factor on what someone else names their property. There seems to be this belief that anything released into pop culture becomes everyones property, and that it can't be changed or edited... basically that's wrong...get over it.

IMDB, under "Also Known As" Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (USA) (reissue title (new title)) New title... as in, "That's what it is now" If you type in Star Wars it will lead off with The 77 film, but list all of them. IF you type in the full title, it goes straight to it.... hmmm

PS. The other guy called you a mod, so I rollled with it. Sorry.

PSS. Starkiller was a "secret" weapon to help kill Palpatine. If you play the game there are plot twists.

PSSS. I know. I think I can use your arguement but I'm really tired of people harping on that. It was a stupid change for a liberal Politically Correct crowd....

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
Brockyman post=7.72427.765128 said:
I'mANinja post=7.72427.762917 said:
I'm a huge star wars fan, but frankly I'm not a big fan of the movies. The books and graphic novels keep me entertained. Though most of the time I say f**k the story. I love the technology, aliens, and awesome battles, and that's basically it.
Do you think they should make a movie about the Battles with the Imperial Remnent, Vong Invasion of the Galaxy or the Sith/Imperial War? Those seem to be interesting storylines
Those could make good movies, if directed by the right person. But what would be good about that is, most of the actors would have approximatly similar aging to the characters. And if it's Sith Era, than you'd have completely new people.

Yami Blade

Sep 26, 2008
It depends how good it could be form the way they approach it. If they went half assed (probably will) and follow the game exactly or make the apprentice full of angst and nothing else it would be rubbish. If they used the whole jedi trained by fallen hero thing wisely it could be a unique character and be worth watching.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
if they make a film version they wont need to look to far for an aprentice looky likey coz i think wwe wrestler randy orton is a bloody close match in that department, and face it it couldnt be any worse than some of the other crappy ideas and castings made by lucas over the past few years.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Lucas honestly can't teach people to act. He worked as co-producer on the original trilogy, and on the new films he's sole producer and you can certainly see when performance slips. Sometimes, the performance is really dire - even from really great names like McGregor.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
COR 2000 post=7.72427.760274 said:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:B3_ultra_battle_droid_TotG.jpg
Haha. Pure merchandising junk. You never get tired of it.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Amnestic post=7.72427.759987 said:
I'd rather see an Exar Kun/Ulic Qel-Droma era film, back in the days of KotOR but before the games are set.
Yes, me as well. I think that Lucas has done so much already in the current era of Star Wars, it would be refreshing to see a new (old) setting for a film.

COR 2000

Jun 30, 2008
Arbre post=7.72427.792688 said:
COR 2000 post=7.72427.760274 said:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:B3_ultra_battle_droid_TotG.jpg
Haha. Pure merchandising junk. You never get tired of it.
I've seen the problem with the link. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Brockyman post=7.72427.762179 said:
Malygris post=7.72427.762146 said:
I think the next person who calls Stars Wars "A New Hope" should get an internets cockpunch.

Star Wars was genius, not because it was original in any way but because it distilled all that was awesome about the various films and genres it ripped off into one ground-breaking, mind-blowing, supercharged package. Empire wasn't genius but it was still cool because it was more Star Wars, and at that point the entire world was ready to kill for more Star Wars. Jedi wasn't so hot, but it was the end of the story so allowances were made and everyone went home happy.

The rest of it? Unadulterated crapola.
Uh... It's Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. It says so in the FREAKIN OPENING. Its what the BOX says, and its what the creators and the studio calls it, so... Sorry, get over it.
Yes, the chapter at the beginning of the movie is "A New Hope," but the movie's proper name is Star Wars...nothing more, nothing less. LucasArts changed it when the prequels came out, in much the same way that Raiders of the Lost Ark is now Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Yes. It is a sad day when the kids of this world think the first star wars movie had IV and the new hope on it at the time of release.

Besides, if they had released it as 'IV' people would think george was a lunatic, which he was not.

Sadly, after seeing him crap all over his franchises over and over again in the past ten years im not sure the same can be said. I mean, the prequel series was hell enough, but that Indiana jones crap was too much.

Edit: On topic, if george had nothing to do at all with the T.F.U movie, and it isnt released in cinemas or any of that malarky, then It could be half decent. Force unleashed was quite a great game compared to most of the crap these days. Very fun combat, pacing, good level design, and, the most necessary part to a movie, a story that isnt a complete bollocking only there to move the game along. It was fun to observe the twists the plot took, even if predictable ones.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
omg i like the moviebob guy... i didnt see the animated movie but i am a starwars fan.. i think george lucas is dead... braindead... he totally ruined the whole movie series with the new one...

Colodomoko

Feb 22, 2008
Its like trying to milk a very old cow being kept alive by tax payers money, they continue to milk the poor thing and pretty soon the cows going to die.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I saw Phantom Menace in the theater, and I knew right at that moment George Lucas would never get one red cent from me again. To this day, he hasn't.