The fun facts thread---share your useless trivia!

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Highly concentrated oxygen (what you use for a blowtorch) and simple fat used for cooking or shining your shoes is EXTREMELY flammable, and will in most cases turn into an explosion upon contact.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Wierdguy said:
The concept of reality exists only in your mind
Are you a student of Jaakko Hintikka or something?!

The principle problem with the expression 'cogito ergo sum' is that only one claim can be undeniable, that of the cognitive-activity of he/she that says so. Even Descartes conceded that an extra premise was required to justify the assumption that cognition denotes existence.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
Life Clocks are a lie! Carousel is a lie! There is no renewal!
-fun fact nobody will get this reference, props if you do.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Umm...there are some very expensive coffees that are made by having birds eat the coffee beans, and then...leave...their body.

Also, it is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

Also, 1 in 5,000 north Atlantic lobsters are born bright blue.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Fun Fact: The common name for someone who hangs around musicians is the drummer.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
endnuen said:
The capacitors inside your TV can kill you.
Apparently you can actually make a crude projectile launcher by taking a huge capacitor (the kind you find in the electric systems of modern cars) and running a current through it the wrong way.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
FACT: AFTER 7 YEARS THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO MONDAY NIGHT RAW!

Alright, alright... That wasn't exactly useless because that was freakin' awesome...

In any society there is a general but almost unconscious consensus among a large population of what kind of behavior is acceptable in this society. There may very well be those opposed to the said type of ideology but lest they face stigma or some kind of consequence, they still keep their actions mostly in line with the general consensus. Exceptions are, of course, those who create counter-cultures or deviate from the "norms" for whatever reason.

Sociology is fun! :3

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Wierdguy said:
Are you a student of Jaakko Hintikka or something?!

The principle problem with the expression 'cogito ergo sum' is that only one claim can be undeniable, that of the cognitive-activity of he/she that says so. Even Descartes conceded that an extra premise was required to justify the assumption that cognition denotes existence.
Even if you can by Cogito Ego Sum denote that your own mind is indeed your own and exists freely from the demon that is trying to deceive you, you can't from that sole stepping-stone build "..And thus, everything else exists aswell".
In essence, Descartes would be alone in his own universe, certain that he exists, but unable to prove (with just Cogito Ergo Sum) that anything around him is real.

Rather sad, isn't it?

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Wierdguy said:
And soon you're gonna tell me there's no spoon :c but then how will I eat soup...
Welcome to the escapist by the way, just stay away from VS threads and the basement, and you'll do alright.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
tunderball said:
Life Clocks are a lie! Carousel is a lie! There is no renewal!
-fun fact nobody will get this reference, props if you do.
Reminds me of a scifi movie from 60's/70's (no idea seriously) where people had this gem on their palm that would change color as they got older. In the gem-hand society everybody over certain age was supposed to take part in the "Carousel" to be renewed. I guess it was really just glorified execution. Those unwilling to participate would get taken there by "sandmen"...
Just tell me if I'm even close :)

OT: The larger species of manta rays eat the craziest things. Autopsy of one brought forth a medieval suit of armor.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Thomas Edison did not create the light bulb. He did, however, create the first practical lightbulb.

Bulls are not enraged by the colour red - in fact, to a bulls eyes, red doesn't even stand out as a particularly bright colour or anything like that. In bullfighting, the bulls are merely enraged by the movement of the fabric, which is what makes them charge.

(Actually, quite a lot of useless but interesting information here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions
:D )

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
It's a little known fact that in Natoma, Kansas, it's illegal to throw knives at men wearing striped suits. There. I have put Information in you. Applause. I go now.

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
An average baseball field has three types of dirt, one for the outside track around the field, one for the infield and base lines, and the third is for the pitchers mound.

Oh and if you ever wonder why strikeouts are recorded by some "K's" facing forward and some facing backwards, forwards is for a called strikeout and backwards is for a swinging strikeout.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Glamorgan said:
I like pudding

Well, according to some website I just found, more than 10 people are killed by vending machines a year.

Someone please explain how that works. Seriously. Were they like crushed by one, or something...?
They're trying to shake the machine to dislodge food and the machine ends up falling on them and crushing them to death. It's actually fairly common but rarely fatal. Yes, people ARE that stupid.