The fun facts thread.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
DJ_DEnM said:
http://urbantitan.com/10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world-in-2011/

Whats that internet? Number one is Bogota?

Get your facts straight and stop being so freaking discriminative against Mexicans.
When the city you list (not yours but mine) consistently places second on several top 10 whatever, then by the laws of math it would average first.

And I like that you called me racist on no valid point thanks, honestly, now go away.

[link]http://www.mostdangerouscities.org/[/link]
[link]http://www.mediadump.com/hosted-id73-worlds-ten-most-dangerous-cities.html[/link]
[link]http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/04/10/dangerous.cities.world/index.html[/link]
[link]http://www.wonders-world.com/2010/03/top-5-most-dangerous-cities-for-live-of.html[/link]

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
The Roman emperor Caligula decided that he was the Greek god Zeus in disguise, and he then started a war with Neptune (the roman god of the sea). This was marked by his men throwing spears into the sea, as a way to somehow attack the sea.

In fact this video sums it up best.

Incignito

Dec 29, 2010
Too long, did not read.

But still thought should tell you about estonia:

In estonia, twelve months is Kaksteist kuud and you say it like you would say C*ck tastes good

the spud

May 2, 2011
You probably already know this, buuuttttt..... Pack Man's design was based on a pizza with a slice missing.

Also, the 7 years war was one of the world's biggest conflicts that nobody knows about.

KeiraZodiac

Mar 25, 2009
+ The arcade game space invaders became so popular in Japan that there was a mini economic crisis because everyone spent their coins on the game.

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
A butterfly has 10,000+ eyes.

Venus has a retrograde spin.

Aliens exist.

The Galileo satellite system can track your car with an error of only 1 metre.

Uranus is on its side.

Although it is smaller Jupiter weighs more than the Sun. (Not actually sure on that one.)

A second is not 1/86400th of a day but actually 9,192,631,770 periods of the rotation of a caesium-133 atom.

A day is actually 23 hours and 56 minutes long (This is how long it takes for the Earth to spin round once.) But a Sidereal day is 24 hours (This is how long it takes for the sun to be at the same point in the sky.)

Travelling at the speed of Earth's fastest probe, Voyager, it would take 300,000 years to reach the nearest Exo-Earth.

Gold, silver, lead and platinum can only be formed within a supernova.

Everything is made out of stardust.

Melbourne was founded by Batman.

I am an Astronomy student.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GrimTuesday said:
I'm not saying that there were any good reason why Britain should have retained the colonies, I'm just saying that the reasons that were given as to why the revolution was justified were rather shaky. The main reason was because of Taxes. Of course, what many people gloss over is the fact that these taxes were really meant to pay off the debt incurred fighting the French Indian War, which was fought to keep the colonialists safe from the attack French and their Indian allies. Prior to this, the colonies had been taxed fairly little, and to me, the idea that the colonist had to help pay off the debts caused by the British army keeping them safe, seems logical. Of course then people bring up the no taxation without representation thing, which to me seems foolish because logistically it is entirely impractical for the colonists to send their representatives to London because of how far removed they would be from the actual colonies, it would be like having a person who lived in Britain representing you.

Yes geographically it makes sense that the colonies would have split from Britain eventually, however, I think that the reason's that were given for the rebellion weren't severe enough to warrant a somewhat long and bloody war.
Look, "America" fought just as much for its freedom from French rule as the British did.

They had a taste for freedom after that, most of those who left Europe in search of new opportunities yet in these British colonies you found they had LESS freedoms than had they stayed home in the old country!

I'm British and even I know all the work of the 'Founding Fathers', it wasn't just a case of "waaah taxes" they wanted to make something new, they had BIG plans for a 'United States' and they knew they could only achieve it with independence. America and Britain had to go their separate ways.

They were not arguing FOR representation, they knew that was impossible. They were not arguing for end of taxation either. What they wanted was Independence! Like India would 170 years later, to spite UK going into so much debt fighting the Japanese to keep them out of India.

And that debt of the French-Indian war was repaid when it was needed most in World War 2 with Lend-Lease, such a favourable loan with no interest to be paid back over a 45 year period it was essentially a gift yet retaining the pride of accountability.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Treblaine said:
GrimTuesday said:
I'm not saying that there were any good reason why Britain should have retained the colonies, I'm just saying that the reasons that were given as to why the revolution was justified were rather shaky. The main reason was because of Taxes. Of course, what many people gloss over is the fact that these taxes were really meant to pay off the debt incurred fighting the French Indian War, which was fought to keep the colonialists safe from the attack French and their Indian allies. Prior to this, the colonies had been taxed fairly little, and to me, the idea that the colonist had to help pay off the debts caused by the British army keeping them safe, seems logical. Of course then people bring up the no taxation without representation thing, which to me seems foolish because logistically it is entirely impractical for the colonists to send their representatives to London because of how far removed they would be from the actual colonies, it would be like having a person who lived in Britain representing you.

Yes geographically it makes sense that the colonies would have split from Britain eventually, however, I think that the reason's that were given for the rebellion weren't severe enough to warrant a somewhat long and bloody war.
Look, "America" fought just as much for its freedom from French rule as the British did.

They had a taste for freedom after that, most of those who left Europe in search of new opportunities yet in these British colonies you found they had LESS freedoms than had they stayed home in the old country!

I'm British and even I know all the work of the 'Founding Fathers', it wasn't just a case of "waaah taxes" they wanted to make something new, they had BIG plans for a 'United States' and they knew they could only achieve it with independence. America and Britain had to go their separate ways.

They were not arguing FOR representation, they knew that was impossible. They were not arguing for end of taxation either. What they wanted was Independence! Like India would 170 years later, to spite UK going into so much debt fighting the Japanese to keep them out of India.

And that debt of the French-Indian war was repaid when it was needed most in World War 2 with Lend-Lease, such a favourable loan with no interest to be paid back over a 45 year period it was essentially a gift yet retaining the pride of accountability.
I get what you're saying, and I agree that what the founding fathers set out to do was noble, but once again, their reasoning behind the revolution was that they wanted to get out from under a "Tyrannical" king (who in my opinion wasn't all that tyrannical), in part because they weren't being represented in Parliament and partly because of taxes. It was for these reasons they waged a revolution, and to me, those aren't good enough reasons to declare independence.

At least India had a good reason for wanting their independence, they were being treated like second class citizens in their own country, this was not the case in the American colonies.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
GrimTuesday said:
All the dandies needed something to sip over their conversation about their rather unjust revolution[footnote]Yes I, as an American do think that the grounds for independence were more than a little shaky[/footnote]
woah woah woah...What?
The colonists didn't like the way things were run
and were tired of being treated as lesser beings than the people living in the motherland.
They wanted Representation

hmmm...I don't like the way things are run now...REVOLUTION!....ok maybe that's overreacting
at least we get to vote............I guess that counts for something...right?
[small]...stupid electoral college...[/small]

OT:
"You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"
That's not actually true, some flies will be more attracted to the vinegar.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Top Hat said:
Mikkelet said:
All people are born girls, which is why boys have have nipples.
Yeah, & anyone who says they were born with a penis is a liar!
If I remember right, the clitoris grows into what we call a penis...
Which sort of means that our penis is an overgrown clit...
And the nipples part is right! If a man stimulates his nipples enough, he will soon develop milk in his manbewbs

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
In The Netherlands, we have towns called Italië, Amerika (the Dutch way of spelling Italy and America for all people who think that I spelled it wrong) and Zürich.

Polar bears are left-handed (paweded?)

A pigs orgasm can last anything up to 30 minutes. (Damn. I wanna be a pig in my next life)

In all of the AC/DC songs, only four chords have been used. (30 minutes! Thats just unbelievable!)

If you were to scream for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough energy in soundwaves... to heat up a cup of coffee. (Not exactly worth while)

If you poison an ant, he always falls dead on his right side. (Who the hell found this out, and more to the point, why?)

When you bang your head against the wall, you are using 150 calories an hour. (Plainly God mixed things up between pigs and humans)

Right-handed people live on average 9 years longer then left-handed people. (Hmm. Lucky me.)

With all this completely useless information, all I can say is... Damn those pigs!

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
1: Dreams are the subconsious mind's way of reminding people to go to school naked and have their teeth fall out
2: According to most advanced Algorithms, the world's best name is Craig
3: In Greek Myth, Prometheus stole fire from the gods and gave it to the humans, the jewellery, he kept for himself.
4: Whales are twice as intelligent, and three times more delicious, than humans.
5: Marie Curie invented the Theory of Radioactivity, Cure of Radioactivity, and dying of Radioactivity.
6: The billionth digit of Pi is 9
7: The Schrodinger's cat paradox outlines a situation in which a cat in a box must be considered, for all intents and purposes, simultaneously alive and dead. Schrodinger created this paradox as a justification for killing cats.
8: Space does not exist
9: The Adventure Sphere is a blowhard and a coward
10: The Fact Sphere is the most intelligent sphere
11: The Fact Sphere is the most handsome sphere
12: The Fact Sphere is incredibaly handsome
13: The Face Sphere is always right

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Back in the 18hundreds every 100meters along the Thames had a device meant to blow smoke up your ass...
As this was apparently that age's CPR...
So someone out there, one day thought, hmmm, that dude almost drowned, lets blow some smoke up his ass!

If water had less density and a bit more air in it, we would be able to breath under water.
Edit: Also! If we could get enough air out the water we should technically be able to walk at the bottom of the ocean as the lungs would be filled with water, and not crushed by the pressure around.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Qitz said:
An old ordinance declares goatees illegal unless you first pay a special license fee for the privilege of wearing one in public.
this is now my life dream:
go to law school.
pass the mass. bar exam.
become a prosecutor.
sue all the male hipsters in the state who fall under this law.
????
profit.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
x EvilErmine x said:
- The human brain can form more neural connections than there are atoms in the viable universe.
Elaborate.
Potential connections?
Connections in a single lifetime?
Because if you're saying that a brain has more neural connections (synapses) at any give time than atoms in the universe, imma callin BS!

EDIT: Also, thanks a lot GrimTuesday. Last time a fun fact thread was around it cost me around 5-6 hours of reading through useless (but fun) crap!