The Funniest Star Wars: The Force Awakens Memes And Fan Videos

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
sumanoskae said:
....in fact, as someone who has attempted to learn lightsaber fighting in real life, I think the lack of any hand protection on a normal lightsaber is a huge weakness of the weapon......
Wait, what? Lightsabers in real life? How does that work?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I really love the light saber parodies. Though I guess that's kinda low hagging fruit.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
GabeZhul said:
J Tyran said:
GabeZhul said:
J Tyran said:
The most common complaint about the Claymore is "its dangerous to the wielder...." yet no-one seems to understand a "blade" without a crossguard is almost as dangerous, they don't realize it's easy for the wielder's hand to slip down onto the blade.
Which kind of becomes a moot point when you consider that in this case the crossguard that is supposed to keep you from touching the blade is another blade. :p
What, my point that a regular lightsabre is almost as dangerous as this new one is a moot one?
Yes. To break it down; if you have a lightsaber without a crossguard, your hand might slip
I have a silly question...

I don't own a lightsaber (well duh) but I do own a sword. A sword has some weight on the blade since it's made from metal. A lightsabre would have no such weight and I can assure anyone that you can hold the hilt just fine and it wouldn't slip. Heck I never dropped my Wii remote since we're at it and I'm waving it like crazy.

ColinBlair

Nov 20, 2009
This list is incomplete without Timtimfed (Michael Shanks, Doomsday Arcade)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng&list=TLd7qAazJ14sk

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
gxs said:
GabeZhul said:
J Tyran said:
GabeZhul said:
J Tyran said:
The most common complaint about the Claymore is "its dangerous to the wielder...." yet no-one seems to understand a "blade" without a crossguard is almost as dangerous, they don't realize it's easy for the wielder's hand to slip down onto the blade.
Which kind of becomes a moot point when you consider that in this case the crossguard that is supposed to keep you from touching the blade is another blade. :p
What, my point that a regular lightsabre is almost as dangerous as this new one is a moot one?
Yes. To break it down; if you have a lightsaber without a crossguard, your hand might slip
I have a silly question...

I don't own a lightsaber (well duh) but I do own a sword. A sword has some weight on the blade since it's made from metal. A lightsabre would have no such weight and I can assure anyone that you can hold the hilt just fine and it wouldn't slip. Heck I never dropped my Wii remote since we're at it and I'm waving it like crazy.
Hey, don't ask me. It was J Tyran's criteria for comparing the standard and crossguarded lightsabers' safety. I for one would be much more worried about the guard slicing off the wielder's hand by the wrist, but his specific claim was that a crossguard helps to make sure the user's hand doesn't slip and reach the emitter (or to take a more probable example, to make sure the user wouldn't accidentally grab hold of the weapon too high while whirling it around and burn their hand), which as I already discussed makes no difference when your crossguard is made of magnetically contained superheated plasma as well...

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
GabeZhul said:
Hey, don't ask me. It was J Tyran's criteria for comparing the standard and crossguarded lightsabers' safety. I for one would be much more worried about the guard slicing off the wielder's hand by the wrist, but his specific claim was that a crossguard helps to make sure the user's hand doesn't slip and reach the emitter (or to take a more probable example, to make sure the user wouldn't accidentally grab hold of the weapon too high while whirling it around and burn their hand), which as I already discussed makes no difference when your crossguard is made of magnetically contained superheated plasma as well...
I always thought that crossguards served two purposes. to keep your hand from slipping onto the blade, and to prevent another sword from slipping along yours and cutting your wrist.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
GabeZhul said:
...makes no difference when your crossguard is made of magnetically contained superheated plasma as well...
The bladelets do not reach all the way to the handle. There is plenty of space for the hand to be blocked by the side tubes.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
the doom cannon said:
GabeZhul said:
I always thought that crossguards served two purposes. to keep your hand from slipping onto the blade, and to prevent another sword from slipping along yours and cutting your wrist.
If we are talking about real swords then it's only the latter. Unless the grip of your weapon is coated in a thick layer of oil for some insane reason, there is generally no way for your hand to just randomly slip forwards. The only time I can see that being in any way relevant would be with something with a long grip, like a Japanese daikatana or Scottish claymore where you would need to adjust your grip depending on how wide your swing is, but even then one would have to be ridiculously clumsy to cut themselves by slipping like that (since, you know, grips are designed to be textured in a way to prevent slipping on the first place).

As for the "blade slipping along blade" issue, as I already wrote somewhere above, a crossguard would be an incredibly important and smart thing for a lightsaber for that very reason... too bad this design would not serve that purpose since said sliding blade would just cut through the emitters like they weren't even there, thus completely negating its purpose.

Pyrian said:
GabeZhul said:
...makes no difference when your crossguard is made of magnetically contained superheated plasma as well...
The bladelets do not reach all the way to the handle. There is plenty of space for the hand to be blocked by the side tubes.
Fair enough when you are only considering holding the weapon in a static manner. However, since the bladelets (I like this word the describe the crossguard-lightsaber-beam-thingies, kudos) are not angled, it means that if your hand were to slip to the emitters (or more realistically, if you were to grab it by the base of the crossguard in the heat of battle), a single wrong flick of the wrist would make said bladelets cut right into your forearm. Again, the idea of a crossguard for something as ridiculously dangerous as a lighsaber is a very good idea, it's the execution of the idea that is silly.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
GabeZhul said:
Please stop putting words in my mouth, all I said was that people whining about how dangerous the "broadsabre" is need to consider how dangerous a lightsabre is already due to the lack of crossguard and not that the broadsabre makes it any safer.

Thats all.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Haha! It's easy to take the piss out of stupid designs. Would be better if they made a buzz-saw design with 3 spinning really fast. Also, I prefer Flare Wars since it keeps getting worse.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
GabeZhul said:
the doom cannon said:
GabeZhul said:
If we are talking about real swords then it's only the latter. Unless the grip of your weapon is coated in a thick layer of oil for some insane reason, there is generally no way for your hand to just randomly slip forwards. The only time I can see that being in any way relevant would be with something with a long grip, like a Japanese daikatana or Scottish claymore where you would need to adjust your grip depending on how wide your swing is, but even then one would have to be ridiculously clumsy to cut themselves by slipping like that (since, you know, grips are designed to be textured in a way to prevent slipping on the first place).

As for the "blade slipping along blade" issue, as I already wrote somewhere above, a crossguard would be an incredibly important and smart thing for a lightsaber for that very reason... too bad this design would not serve that purpose since said sliding blade would just cut through the emitters like they weren't even there, thus completely negating its purpose.

Pyrian said:
GabeZhul said:
Fair enough when you are only considering holding the weapon in a static manner. However, since the bladelets (I like this word the describe the crossguard-lightsaber-beam-thingies, kudos) are not angled, it means that if your hand were to slip to the emitters (or more realistically, if you were to grab it by the base of the crossguard in the heat of battle), a single wrong flick of the wrist would make said bladelets cut right into your forearm. Again, the idea of a crossguard for something as ridiculously dangerous as a lighsaber is a very good idea, it's the execution of the idea that is silly.

"As for the "blade slipping along blade" issue, as I already wrote somewhere above, a crossguard would be an incredibly important and smart thing for a lightsaber for that very reason... too bad this design would not serve that purpose since said sliding blade would just cut through the emitters like they weren't even there, thus completely negating its purpose."

Except, as MANY people have said, there are a few materials that can stop light sabers so it's entirely possible that it was made from that so using your own logic it's "incredibly useful."