The Game Awards 2014 impressions

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Well.. that was certainly something.
I'd say that overall my impressions are positive. It is certainly better than any Spike's VGA's before them. However, it still in many ways feels like it is on Spike. Tons of hype, audience screams and overall feel of fakeness. But this time you could see some genuinity underneath it. That moment with Ken and Roberta Williams really touched me and I haven't even played their games! It was just really heartwarming to see two giants of our industry humbly standing there and talking about their love for the medium. And the fact that they have invited so many different musicians who love games speaks for itself. Malukah, Lindsey Stirling, those... neon-laser guys. It was really cool.
Overall, there's a lot to improve, but it does feel like a really good beginning. Maybe cut ad crap next year, invite more developers, voice actors and musicians (imagine Miracle of Sound rocking out there!) and cut it all to fit 3 hours and it might be perfect.

EmpReb

Sep 5, 2014
Bayo 2 or DarkSouls2 Lost..... or even fucking Shadow of Mordor lost to Dragon Age. Enough proof to me that most its still AAA Publishers shilling event.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It was pretty much -WORLD PREMIERE- the same shit as the -WORLD PREMIERE- VGXs but with the occasional -WORLD PREMIERE- neat moment (Koji Kondo/Imagine Dragons, and the Williamses).

So yeah, still not particularly impressed.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
EmpReb said:
Bayo 2 or DarkSouls2 Lost..... or even fucking Shadow of Mordor lost to Dragon Age. Enough proof to me that most its still AAA Publishers shilling event.
Totalbiscuit won an award and the Internet became full of unfiltered seawater. Kind of makes up for it really, dat green and purple lighting though.

CerveraFilms

Mar 14, 2010
TotalBiscuit won, nothing else matters to me, at the end it was the same VGX, but hey we menage to get him the price.

EmpReb

Sep 5, 2014
Adultratedhydra said:
EmpReb said:
Totalbiscuit won an award and the Internet became full of unfiltered seawater. Kind of makes up for it really, dat green and purple lighting though.
Guess how he won because HE had public behind him. All the other non Public voting awards I find questionable for one reason or another.

KingStoph

Dec 6, 2014
I actualy had no idea it was on last night, i knew it existed but never looked into it.

Saying that though, i thought id give it a go and was pleasently supprised, i enjoyed it. there where a couple of "wat?" moments, like... i dont even know why the guy was but with all the dick jokes at the start, that was weird. and the guy in the FISH shirt/

Overall though, i liked it, was great to see Boogie and TB aswell!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Now this is funny. Kojima just tweeted that he wasn't allowed into the after party because he wore sneakers.

[EDIT]It just occured to me that this could be a pun. I'll leave it up, because it's a good pun if it is one.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
EmpReb said:
Well.... a lot of people really do like the game so it is possible that maybe, just maybe, it deserved to win. I haven't personally played it yet (my personal choice for GOTY is Shadow of Mordor), but I'll be picking it up eventually since it does look quite fun.

In other words.... OPINIONS!
Sorry for the condescension.

Heck, if you wanted to point to an odd winner, point to Destiny winning best online experience. It's a massive grind fest with no voice chat that forces people to go on forums to find groups to do hard strikes with. I haven't played many new online games this year, but some of them have to be better than that.

Also, as others have already mentioned, I'm really glad TB won. I didn't actually watch the show, or even know this was a category, but I'm happy he won it.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It was pretty bad, honestly.

Basically the same issues I always have with these events, it's 90% adverts and then occasionally somebody will take to the stage and make some "Video game music" or something which just looks ridiculous.

Judge choices were questionable, but, that's not terribly unsurprising with these events.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I found it to be watchable. There were some lame jokes and boring segments, but it was much better than the VGAs or the VGX last year. I ended up watching the whole thing, and the Zelda showing made it worth it I suppose. It was a little too long though, running about three hours. Not even E3 conferences are that long.

Koji Kondo's piano performance of the Mario theme was great, and I liked the Zelda performance at the end too. It's always fun to see Reggie show up and do whatever he does. I agree the segment with the Williams' was great. I feel like that could have never happened with the old shows. "We can't have these two old people on stage, we need more pointless celebrities to appeal to the younger audience!"

I'll give Geoff Keighley props for the show since he paid for it entirely by himself gambling on getting the money back from ticket sales and probably some of the advertising. Valve got a lot of plugs for Steam, so I can assume they forked over some serious cash. Either way, pretty sure it wasn't cheap to get all that done.

Definitely glad there weren't too many useless celebrity appearances. Conan appeared, but I admit that his "clueless gamer" segments are kinda funny. Plus, he was upfront about not knowing much about games, something I wish celebrities would admit more often at these kinds of shows.

Like I said before, not great, but watchable.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
EmpReb said:
Bayonetta 2 was published by Capcom, Dark Souls 2 by Namco Bandai, Shadow of Mordor by Warner Bros. I don't know about you but those names are as AAA as BioWare.

brtt150

Nov 22, 2013
lol Shadow of Mordor is garbage compared to DA. It's not even a very impressive game on its own.

Winners were pretty predictable but it showed promise for the future

EmpReb

Sep 5, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
EmpReb said:
Bayonetta 2 was published by Capcom, Dark Souls 2 by Namco Bandai, Shadow of Mordor by Warner Bros. I don't know about you but those names are as AAA as BioWare.
I think you mean Sega.......(smacks head) and besides Warner. The Japan AAA I do no consider the AAA stupid of what the west has had for 10 fing years now. Besides a few bright spots here and there.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
EmpReb said:
Adultratedhydra said:
EmpReb said:
Guess how he won because HE had public behind him. All the other non Public voting awards I find questionable for one reason or another.
I know why he won. And yes the judging was sus as balls but you've gotta understand that most awards run on Bias and its the fact that many said "DA:I GOTY" earlier in the year that should have shown it was a foregone conclusion anyway (Lets ignore the fact that Shadow of mordor is Graphically superior, Superior Gameplay, Looks better on Ultra than DA:I Looks on ultra and just in general has more fun aspects to it.).

Besides this was run by the Dorito pope himself, Bastion of integrity in the games industry. This makes its Decleration of "GOTY" even more worthless than any other "GOTY" crown.
My advice? dont give a shit. So the latest Bioware crap won, noone is suprised and really noone should be outraged because outrage is just what certain people want.

Seriously though, the dream of "Completely unbiased" is just that. It's a nice thought but this industry is Bias personified. Best to just never care about GOTY.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This was on right in the middle of my 3 hours, off work, Friday supernatural spree (Grimm, Constantine, Haven) so I couldn't be bothered to watch it. I may watch a pre-recorded youtube of the broadcast, but it seems kinda pointless when I'm watching an awards show after it's no longer relevant. I may catch it sometime just to see how much better it was than the VGX - nothing could be worse than that steaming pile of refuse.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
EmpReb said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
EmpReb said:
I think you mean Sega.......(smacks head) and besides Warner. The Japan AAA I do no consider the AAA stupid of what the west has had for 10 fing years now. Besides a few bright spots here and there.
...and by Sega you mean Nintendo, right?

Aug 1, 2010
Definitely needed more Joel McHale.

Otherwise, not terrible. Maybe in a few decades we'll have something equivalent to the Oscars. Then maybe a few decades after that, we'll have a legitimate awards show.