The Game Awards 2014 impressions

Gustavos

Jul 19, 2009
Going in with zero expectations, it was pretty good. Enough that I'll check it out again next year. I mean, come on, they did a ten minute segment on how impactful sierra games were, that's some serious brownie points from any old-school gamer. The Zelda footage left me wanting more, but hey, it's not a Nintendo event. And the game of the year pick is definitely a tough call. Those games came from different developers with different controversies darkening our opinions of them. For every person willing to give a concise, objective opinion on Shadow of Mordor, you've got another person still whining that Bayonetta 2 isn't on a system that they own. Every other category I agreed on wholeheartedly.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Johnisback said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
well im atleast happy TotalBiscuit won
CerveraFilms said:
TotalBiscuit won, nothing else matters to me, at the end it was the same VGX, but hey we menage to get him the price.
But only because PewDiePie let TotalBiscuit win.

Ever since he was nominated TotalBiscuit has been doing the whole "please guys, please go vote for me, pretty please" shtick. Even going so far as to play off the internet hate for PewDiePie with "don't let PewDiePie win this" comments.

All PewDiePie would've had to do was make an off the cuff, in passing comment at some point that he had been nominated and his legions of more abundant, more rabid fans would have flooded the voting into a landslide win. But he didn't, he never brought the awards or his nomination up, not even once.

Because apparently, PewDiePie is less of a corporate publicity whore than Mr. Total-"consumer advocacy is all I'm good for so I talk shit and ***** about people more entertaining than me like the bitter dick I am"-Biscuit.
I only recall Total biscuit making one comment about it, mostly to make a joke about it being another award he'd lose to pewdiepie. Honestly Boogie did more campaigning for TB than TB

I liked the show, it was a little rough around the edges but it was a step in the right direction to a proper respectable awards show

Mar 26, 2008
In my opinion Forza Horizon 2 should have won best driving game. Mario Kart is for muppets. It's to driving games what Smash Brothers is to fighting games. Yeah MK is technically a "driving" game, you have four wheels and you race around a track, but the difference between it and games Like FH2, Driveclub, NFS et al is night and day.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Personally I heavily disagreed with most of the winners. With games like Valiant Hearts, a game that I personally didn't care for, winning best narrative over games like Wolf Among us or The Walking Dead for seemingly no reason other than, "OH THERE'S A DOG IN IT, IT'S SO SAD". Grand Theft Auto 5 beating Pokemon ORAS for best remaster was laughable, considering ORAS has been completely remade from the ground up while GTA5 got a few new features and a resolution increase. And Destiny winning anything considering its lukewarm response from critics and players alike really made me question who was actually behind the voting.

Of course this is just my opinion, and maybe I shouldn't complain over something that overall is completely subjective, but as I mentioned above quite a few of the winners just left me scratching my head in confusion.

Anyway if I can compliment it then...it wasn't worse than the VGA's I guess...

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Of the four, I'd have voted for dragon age.
More my kind of game really.
Nothing more than that.

Glad to hear TB won.

No sneakers bit made me laugh at the stupidity of it all.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Johnisback said:
totheendofsin said:
I only recall Total biscuit making one comment about it, mostly to make a joke about it being another award he'd lose to pewdiepie. Honestly Boogie did more campaigning for TB than TB

I liked the show, it was a little rough around the edges but it was a step in the right direction to a proper respectable awards show
What I saw wasn't joking, it was mean spirited bitchiness powered by transparent jealousy. Maybe we were looking it the same thing, it's hard to separate a joke from dickishness when there's a complete lack of wit.

Either way Mr. Biscuit whored out his integrity so he could get an award from Geoff "I'm a legitimate journalist BUY MOUNTAIN DEW AND DORITOS" Keighley.
TFW you realise TB and Pewdiepie are part of the same network and have operated together outside of youtube so they probably know eachother better than any of their "Fans" do.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I'd say they were far too cluttered with ads, but their hearts were in the right place. From what I've gathered, they're trying to be something like the grown-up equivalent of the Spike VGAs, which isn't a bad thing.

I've seen a lot of people write off the whole show because Dragon Age got GOTY, which I think is very short-sighted. If that game hadn't won, then it's supporters would have been calling out "teh bias" and so on. At the end of the day, it's all subjective and if that's what the panel voted, then that's what wins.

The only award choice I have issue with is Trey Parker winning for best performance. That just doesn't make any sense to me! Really, it should have gone to Melissa Hutchinson, but if you're just going for the populist choice, why not give it to Kevin Spacey? It looks more credible, plus he put on a pretty good performance. While Stick of Truth was certainly hilarious, Trey Parker was really just doing what he'd been doing for the past 15+ years.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Listen its super easy to understand why DA:I got a GOTY this year.

Ubisoft shit the bed on five major releases this year.

Everything EA has done has been lukewarm other than DA:I.

Activision hasn't done shit that was new or interesting.

Warner Brothers had a good contender but I can see where its story elements became generic and stale as compared to DA:I which is far more story rich.

Simple facts are its easy to call Bologna Sandwiches "Sandwich of the Year" in a year where no one ever made a Reuben, and/or all other sandwiches were full of the same old shit.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Adultratedhydra said:
I know why he won. And yes the judging was sus as balls but you've gotta understand that most awards run on Bias and its the fact that many said "DA:I GOTY" earlier in the year that should have shown it was a foregone conclusion anyway (Lets ignore the fact that Shadow of mordor is Graphically superior, Superior Gameplay, Looks better on Ultra than DA:I Looks on ultra and just in general has more fun aspects to it.).
I can't speak to the gameplay, but to say that Shadow of Mordor looks better than Inquisition both graphically and in art direction is laughable. The texturing on environments is nowhere near as good, the faces look awful, and the entire game seems to be made up of an entirely brown and gray color palette. Though looking at the main character, the textures and modeling on his clothing, weapons, and hair (hair in Inquisition looks like dog-crap holy damn) is pretty great.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
In general, I liked it. It had trouble keeping me interested for long times, but it felt a lot more sincere than previous years.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Johnisback said:
Adultratedhydra said:
TFW you realise TB and Pewdiepie are part of the same network and have operated together outside of youtube so they probably know eachother better than any of their "Fans" do.
Part of the same network? Yes, operated together? No.
I see no reason to assume they know each other.
Aside from multiple instances, usually in the podcasts where he himself has said he hates the character not the person, by himself and others. No, no reason at all.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Definitely needed more Joel McHale.
Oh HELL no. Keep his sarcasm and utter lack of interest and showmanship far far away from ANY award show period. He is simply not cut out for the job and is a walking insult to any event that might choose him for a host.

Aug 1, 2010
Remus said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Definitely needed more Joel McHale.
Oh HELL no. Keep his sarcasm and utter lack of interest and showmanship far far away from ANY award show period. He is simply not cut out for the job and is a walking insult to any event that might choose him for a host.
Oh hell yes. His asshattery during the VGXs was the only thing that made that show tolerable and until game awards shows grow up, his brand of fucking around and insulting everything is absolutely deserved.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
My impression of the Game Awards? Completely unnecessary. Just like every other gaming awards show ever.

Seriously, the Oscars and Grammys and Emmys and the other awards shows are all complete nonsense anyway, carried along at this point by cultural momentum more than any real demand for their existence. If the Academy Awards didn't already exist, I'd see no reason, in this day and age, to invent it. I don't know why an Oscars-like awards show for videogames is a thing anyone is desirous of in the first place.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Game of the Year - Dragon Age: Inquisition. I was expecting this or Bayonetta to take home the award. Kinda surprised that it wasn't Bayonetta, but still a good choice I feel. At least it wasn't Shadow of Mordor. *shudders*
Developer of the Year - Nintendo. Nice to see Nintendo having a good year for games. Pffft, Ubisoft was nominated.
Best Indie game - Shovel Knight. I haven't played it, but I have heard good things about it. Glad that Transistor got nominated anyway.
Best Handheld/Mobile game - Hearthstone. Glad Hearthstone won, but not a fan of the mashing together of the two categories. How can Threes! compete against Smash 3DS?
Best Narrative - Valiant Hearts. Haven't played it, but I was under the impression that either The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among US was going to win this one.
Best Score/Soundtrack - Destiny. I am a huge fan of Marty's music, so fair play there. Glad that Transistor also got nominated.
Best Voice Performance - Trey Parker, South Park. Sure. Glad to see that Melissa Hutchison (Clem, The Walking Dead) got nominated anyway.
Game for Change - Valiant Hearts. I don't even know what this category is for, so cool, I guess.
Best Remaster - GTA V. Can we like, not give awards out for this anymore? Pfffft, Halo was nominated.
Best Shooter - Far Cry 4. This really was an average year for shooters, wasn't it?
Best Action Adventure - Shadow of Mordor. Well, I would have expected Bayonetta 2 to take this one for sure.
Best RPG - Dragon Age: Inquisition. Yep, I would say that.
Best Fighting game - Smash Wii U. Why is Smash 3DS up there?
Best Family game - Mario Kart 8. No surprise there.
Best Sport/Racing game - Mario Kart 8. Once again, no surprise there.
Best Online Experience - Destiny. Wasn't that game plagued with terrible latency issues?
Trending Gamer - TotalBisuit. Nice to see him win. Haven't even heard of StampyLongHead or Vanoss.

Lots of world premiers (which I am okay with), and lots of music breaks (not so much). They should have focused more on the actual awards instead of half-assing some of them by unceremoniously giving awards out in a little booth with no build up. Awards > Pokey laser music guy.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Johnisback said:
Adultratedhydra said:
Aside from multiple instances, usually in the podcasts where he himself has said he hates the character not the person, by himself and others. No, no reason at all.
I think you're lying.
Exibit A - https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/310189771404242946
One tweet because twitter is the place where conversations happen. If twitter is your only source after 30 seconds of google you are beyond help and I'm done with you because you seem to have a profound unwillingness to accept that people can see past the character and that everyone is rigidly stuck to their opinions.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Johnisback said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
well im atleast happy TotalBiscuit won
CerveraFilms said:
TotalBiscuit won, nothing else matters to me, at the end it was the same VGX, but hey we menage to get him the price.
But only because PewDiePie let TotalBiscuit win.

Ever since he was nominated TotalBiscuit has been doing the whole "please guys, please go vote for me, pretty please" shtick. Even going so far as to play off the internet hate for PewDiePie with "don't let PewDiePie win this" comments.

All PewDiePie would've had to do was make an off the cuff, in passing comment at some point that he had been nominated and his legions of more abundant, more rabid fans would have flooded the voting into a landslide win. But he didn't, he never brought the awards or his nomination up, not even once.

Because apparently, PewDiePie is less of a corporate publicity whore than Mr. Total-"consumer advocacy is all I'm good for so I talk shit and ***** about people more entertaining than me like the bitter dick I am"-Biscuit.
you seem quite mad

i never saw TB doing anything you said he did, care to show some evidence?