The Game Boy turns 20! What's your favorite portable game and why? - CHAT WITH THE STAFF!

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Want your opinion heard? Have questions for the staff? Now's your chance!

Every week, from Wednesday through Friday, staff will be dropping in and out of the thread to post responses to the question below and reply to yours. From there, feel free to keep the discussion going until next Wednesday when a new topic goes up. We may even respond over the weekend while we're playing Genre Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/genrewars].

Consider this your chance to join us in some lively debating and hopefully good times. We can't wait to discuss.

This week's discussion topic is: In honor of the Game Boy's 20th anniversary, name one of your favorite portable games and the reason why it's your favorite.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I think I have to say Pokemon Red. I spent far too much time playing that game. No other portable game I'd played beforehand had managed to draw me in quite as much. Ok, the story wasn't great, but it was so damn addictive!

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Super Mario Land 2: I'm pretty sure it was as good or better than Super Mario World despite being relegated to monochrome glory.

For those of you who have already read my column however, my second favorite portable game would have to be Lumines. The first time I played that, I really felt like I was participating in a full on portable multimedia experience. Although, it's commonplace now, that first level and opening song is a pretty stunning experience when the best you've known up until that point is GBA quality sound.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Of all handhelds ever? I'd have to say Phoenix Wright AA: Justice for All.

Of the Game Boy generation itself? Pokemon Red. Of all pokemon games? Platinum is sweeeeeeeeeet.

Of the PSP? Well, umm, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is way too short, but is quite amazing.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past and four swords adventure. The original LttP game is a classic and the bonus game is fun too.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
While I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but, Golden sun.
That game and it's sequel were just too fantastic, I still play them from time to time, I won't be able to die completely happy untill a third game is made.

Librarian Mike

May 16, 2008
My vote goes to Metroid Fusion. It just looks, sounds, and plays great. At that point, I'd had no idea the GBA was capable of that kind of awesomeness.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Kirby's Dream land: It was one of the 3 games I got with my gameboy as a kid for Christmas, and it was the only game I played for months, so much so that I forgot that there were 2 other games that came with it. The other two were super Mario Land 1 and I think a Simpsons game of some sort.

Ernie1042

Aug 8, 2008
I still have a purple Game Boy Color. ^.^ My favorite game for it was Disney Racing; I was seven. I played Chip every time. Never beat it.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Daxter for the PSP - its a brilliant game that takes a while to beat, incorporates all the interesting mechanics seen in previous games and has some excellent graphics. Great level design and a fun story only increase its awesomeness.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
At the moment it's Suikoden: Tierkries, it's like having a PS1 RPG of exceptional quality that I can take anywhere.

If not that then it's probably a toss up between The World Ends With You and Elite Beat Agents.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Probably a pokemon game, those games are just too addictive. Keep in mind my first handheld was GBA so I missed out on all the classic games.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Has to be Pokemon silver, i spent more time on that than Red...i caught every pokemon and left it for years

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Pokemon. Some of the best RPGs EVER in my opinion. Especially Red, which I still fiddle around with on my original Grey-Block Game Boy.

Leaf Runner

Apr 21, 2009
Mine is definatley The World Ends With You. The gameplay is fun, addicting, and the game just beats every other game in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. The story is really touching, and it changes your perspective greatly.

elitecrewer

Apr 22, 2009
Pokemon Red/Blue probably has the clout, but I feel drawn towards the original Golden Sun... It's like that game is my soul-mate or something. I also liked Gunstar Super Heroes, for bringing something completely different to the GBA. Superior to the original, if not for the omission of co-op.

Schneebly

Feb 11, 2009
Super Mario Deluxe from GBC or one of the pokémon blue. Countless hours trying to beat those when I was below 10; god games seemed so much harder back then!

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I'd have to say Metroid II: The Return of Samus. The GameBoy was my first and pretty much only console and Metroid II was the game I wanted for it the most and I played the crap out of it for a long time, it took me two or three years of playing on and off to finish it with a total game time of 5 hours or something.

gibboss28: How many times did you beat Kirby's Dreamland? You say you played it for months on end, I finished it in like three hours.