The Game Boy turns 20! What's your favorite portable game and why? - CHAT WITH THE STAFF!

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
I still have my Gameboy Color from 13 years ago, along with the two games that game with it, Pokemon Red and Super Mario Bros Deluxe.

My favorite hand-held games are:
-The two I've just mentioned
-Metroid Fusion
-Super Mario World (GBA port)

With no other games have I ever spent so much time on, besides Starcraft and The Elder Scrolls games.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
i luv teh Pokemon Blue. Even though my Gameboy broke years ago and I haven't looked at it since. But I have fond memories of Pokemon, and Blue was the only one I actually owned.

The Brian J

Apr 18, 2009
Game Boy: Tetris. Gotta be Tetris.
Game Boy Color: Metal Gear Solid. Really in-depth game for a GBC game.
Game Boy Advance: Fire Pro Wrestling 2. 2nd best wrestling game ever (1st is its PS2 cousin, Fire Pro Returns)
Nintendo DS: Disgaea DS. So in-depth and amazing.

Man, Game Boy is 20 years old. I feel old. Gotta grab my Game Boy Color and play some old school stuff.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
tetris, played it first when i was like 5 or so and it hasn't lost any of it's original charme ;)

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
The original Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow. Simple, fun and more then slightly addictive. But the best bit is, whenever you first beat the elite four, on any of the games, you always get a big sense of achievement.

KamachoMcSagget

Mar 22, 2009
Pokemon Yellow because it was one of my first handheald games, and my dad bought it for me, and my friends like it, and I'm playing it again to catch all 150 Pokemon.
I also like The World Ends With You due to it's great writing, gameplay, and art style, and I can't wait for Flower, Sun, and Rain to come out here.

ghettomedic

Dec 11, 2008
As much as I love my DS, I never had a GameBoy growing up. No, I had a Sega GameGear which, at the time, was considerably superior... Full color? Check. Backlit screen? Check. The titles weren't great, but I did have Sonic Chaos (which I totally just downloaded to my Wii) and Columns.

And then my sister killed the GameGear, and we got GameBoy colors so we wouldn't fight over one handheld. And I've been a Nintendo nerd ever since. Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior VII, and the Zelda Oracle of Time/Oracle of Seasons were my favorites.

Actually, I think I'm going to dig my GBC out. I miss it...

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
I gots me the the big gray brick! (Actually my mom's) I always played this one Super Mario game on it, sadly, I can't remember its name. Anyway, here's my list.

Gameboy: Links Awakening DX

Gameboy Color: Pokemon Red

Gameboy Advance: N/A (Because I didn't like it.)

Gameboy Advance SP: Metroid Fusion, Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land, Pokemon Ruby, Wario Ware

Gameboy DS (Also a big silver brick, not one of those pansy Lites): Super Mario 64 DS, Custom Robo Arena, Star Fox Command

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
I'd have to go with Donkey Kong (GB, for no reason other than that it was the first video game I ever played. Ah...the nostalgia...

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Metroid Fusion. I've beaten that game 20 times now, the fastest run I've done it on was... around 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I still think that game is fun.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Anachronism said:
I think I have to say Pokemon Red. I spent far too much time playing that game. No other portable game I'd played beforehand had managed to draw me in quite as much. Ok, the story wasn't great, but it was so damn addictive!
This , i stayed with the series right up until ruby and saphire and as i understand it it`s still going , the tv show too...

AdamAK

Jun 6, 2008
On the GB: Pokemon Red/Green/Blue. Lovely games. Back then these were refreshing games, but since the introduction of 300 other Pokemon, I have lost any interest whatsoever in the series.
And then there was this Mario game that I used to play on my cousin's GameBoy. I haven't got a clue how the game was called and I can only remember the tune from one of the first levels and that it was awesome.

On the GBA: Golden Sun: The Lost Age. An amazingly long RPG with an excellent story was more than I had ever dreamed of. I honestly can't remember how often I have completed this game, yet it never bores me. Golden Sun would be closely followed by Metroid: Zero Mission - a remake of a remake. I enjoyed this game greatly, because there were so many tricks to do some sequence breaking and speedrunning, which lengthened the time I spent playing the game quite a lot.

On the DS: Perhaps Super Mario 64. I had never really played the original on the N64, so this gave me a chance to give it a go. I absolutely adored the game. Everything is perfect about it.

baronsmeg

Apr 15, 2009
OK

Game Gear - the Shinobi game
Game Boy - Tetris
Game Boy Advanced/ Micro - Pokemon Ruby
DS - Disgea
PSP - Armoured Core

I wish I still had my game gear. I love my Micro, and DS. and the PSP would be a God Machine when Sony gets of its high horse and supports the PSN like they do in Japan.

Happy 20th Game Boy

Cucumber

Dec 9, 2008
My personal favorite is Tetris. Spent many hours playing it, and when I discovered online multiplayer tetris in Tetris DS, I fell in love again. Still playing this day today...

And congratulations with the twenty, good ol' pal!

Masterthief

Aug 30, 2008
Golden Sun 1 and 2. They were brilliant, fun and long enough to keep me playing for months (years if you count re-plays).
Also Mario and Luigi Superstar saga, every time you thought you'd got to the end, it would keep on going.

EDIT: I didn't realise Golden Sun had such a large following

Feb 6, 2009
Pokemon Silver. That game took away my childhood.

In second place, Mario Kart DS. That game kicks ass and is better than the Wii version.

MystRunner

Feb 22, 2009
Tetris! Because it's cheaper then paying to go to a hypnotist! Also it's hours and hours and hours of fun.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I can't choose!

Advanced wars, Zeldas, Kirby, Castlevainas... ARGH!

I'll limit it to GB only, since that is what is sparking this thread

Link's Awakening.

ARGH! but what about Mario land 2 and 3 (Wario)?!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Oh, wow, great question! I take my DS with me whenever I travel -- I can't get on a plane without it. Definitely love Yoshi's Island, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton, Link's Awakening, Peggle...so many great games. The Mario & Luigi games are absolutely hysterical, definite favorites of mine.