The Game of Thrones Dilemma

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
With the Game of Throne TV series now catching up with the books and likely to overtake them, I'm faced with the big decision, which format do I stick with?

I'm rather read the conclusion of the storyline in the books first, but will I be able to avoid discussions of the TV series and spoilers for how many years it takes George RR Martin to finish writing the books? Maybe it's better just to keep watching the series and then I won't find out what happens by accident.

Is anybody planning on holding out for the book ending first?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm going to be watching it and then reading the books.

The books are different from the show in so many ways that it's a separate experience.

Also, I'm impatient. One of the main reasons I started reading the books was because I couldn't wait for Season 2.

Edit: It might also be nice to watch the show without the "that's not how it happened in the books" voice in my head.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
With the show looking to catch up with the books in season 5 (and even overtake them in some storylines), I think the show producers may end up figuring out their own ending that's entirely different than the way the books eventually end. Supposedly George R.R. Martin revealed to the show producers how it was going to end but he might change his mind in the next years.

Anyway, I'll just read/watch whatever comes out when it comes out.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Well, I doubt you'd be able to avoid any spoilers for a few years. Too hard to keep the vigilance up, and it's just not as much fun if you're not able to talk about it when it's relevant.

But, it's unknown how things are going to go. More than likely, the TV version is already far enough away from actual canon that it seems like the show itself would be fundamentally different from the books, so you're not really even getting spoiled. Quite possible that this was even planned, if they were thinking ahead enough.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I guess I'll just read/watch whatever comes out first.

Although the TV show will go to shit in record time if it does end up overtaking the books, which seems inevitable.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
It's apparently diverging quite a bit at this point, more than just the same story with slight alterations. I've heard that certain characters in the show will be killed off, even though they didn't die in the books (although, that has already happened).

Either way, I intend to read the books first and watch the show afterwards.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I've only been watching the show. I'm not holding out much faith in Martin to finish the beast. His policy of 'Screw fans!' along with 'Game of Thrones should die with me.' basically spells disaster for the series on the whole. He'll be under an extreme amount of pressure, which has already made him snap once, and then some guy on inline skates with a bat comes by...

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
Looking at things from Martin's point of view he probably doesn't want the ending to his story written by other people before he can finish his last book. Hopefully the TV show will now go in it's own direction and with a different ending.

small

Aug 5, 2014
realistically the books will never be finished so you might as well watch the show

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I've read all the books and I'm gonna watch the show too. They're not quite run out of book yet, but they're nearly there. I'm interested to see how it goes.
Then I'll read the books if and when they get finished.

Realistically I doubt you'll be able to avoid spoilers until he finishes the books.

And going into new territory will be good because it will stop annoying book fans (like myself) from going `now see that's interesting because in the book-`. I try to stop myself, I really do.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
FalloutJack said:
I've only been watching the show. I'm not holding out much faith in Martin to finish the beast. His policy of 'Screw fans!' along with 'Game of Thrones should die with me.' basically spells disaster for the series on the whole. He'll be under an extreme amount of pressure, which has already made him snap once, and then some guy on inline skates with a bat comes by...

Nah, those wounds were self inflicted. We have video footage, remember? Besides, game of thrones is everywhere. I'm sure his next ideas will be even better...

OT: eh. I don't think it matters. Martin himself doesn't know how to end it, I'm curious to see where the show runners go. Although, they may try to squeeze as much money out of their cash cow as they can, which worries me.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
I'll drop the show probably. It's gotten worse with each season and while it's very different from the books at this stage, the show still hits most of the milestones even if it has a different way of getting to them, and I don't want those moments spoiled.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
I'm going to be watching it and then reading the books.

The books are different from the show in so many ways that it's a separate experience.
This. They're basically turning into two different stories. Sure, they may end up with the same ending (even that is suspect though), but they'll both be fairly unique, high quality experiences IMO.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I suppose if the TV show ends first and people hate the ending Martin can always change it for the books

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Colour Scientist said:
It might also be nice to watch the show without the "that's not how it happened in the books" voice in my head.
Won't that just give you the "That's not how it happened in the show" voice?

OT: Considering how popular the show is, I don't see it being easy to avoid spoilers so I'm just going to watch it as it comes out.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The show is diverging in major ways, but it's still following most of the broad strokes of the story. We can expect the show's and book's resolutions to resemble one another in more ways than not.

I vastly prefer the books, but will watch the show as it comes out, anyway, even if/when it overtakes. I would love to be a purist, but I'm not sure I have the resilience... waiting for The Winds of Winter is already driving me nuts.

VectorSlip

Sep 17, 2014
LostCrusader said:
Colour Scientist said:
It might also be nice to watch the show without the "that's not how it happened in the books" voice in my head.
Won't that just give you the "That's not how it happened in the show" voice?

OT: Considering how popular the show is, I don't see it being easy to avoid spoilers so I'm just going to watch it as it comes out.
I would think it would be the opposite. At least for me. If I started reading the books I would be less like "Thats not how it happened in the show" And more like "Oh so thats what they changed!" Cause I know the books came first and what happened in them is, i dont know, more canon than the show? If that makes any sense.

Mar 20, 2010
Eh' I've separated the show from the books in my head by the middle of season 2. I can't stop watching the show, its a big deal for my friends. But i love the books much much more then the show. I still get really pissed really quickly when something different from the books happen or they do something half assed like Bloodraven. Game of thrones is like watered down Song of ice and fire to me but I pretty much have to watch it and getting angry and passionate about it made it more entertaining for me and my friends. I wonder if and when we see actual things happening from after the published books what my opinion will be.

Anyway if you like the show and the books at the same time i say try to separate them as much as you can. They are not telling the 100% same story, clearly but it's still a good story.