The genre you never really cared for

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
I like fighting games. I'm not good at them, but practicing combos can be relaxing, and trash-talking with your friends while drunk is pretty fun.

What I cannot stand are RTS games and their bastard offspring, the MOBA.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Ishal said:
JRPG's... because JRPG's.

Yes video games came from Japan. Yes the first game I ever played was a Nintendo Mario game. There are some good ones... but 90% are garbage. This seems to be a trend from Japan, since 90% of anime seems to be crap as well.

I do like my share of Japanese games tho, and some are even JRPG's. Chrono Trigger, Skies of Arcadia, Dark Souls, Ace Combat Series, Megaman(X), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Various Nintendo titles..

But c'mon man, Kingdom Hearts? Final Fantasy? Those kinds of games? The characters are just painful, actually painful to behold. The way they dress, the way they talk, what they actually say when they talk, the godawful college dropout existentialism plots. Its just too much. I guess I get why some people like them, they like being completely saturated.. no, drowned by all that stuff but it just ain't for me.

Oh and Sports Games. Not a fan of sports outside of games so don't care for them in videogames.
Actually video games originated in the United States, not Japan. Though Japan has long been a big player, even before the video game crash of 83', and it was Japan that breathed new life into the hobby and is largely responsible for how most games are today.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sports games and Racing games. I don't hate them, but have no interest in either at all(Okay, except the orignal mario kart).

For the record, I don't care about sports on TV either so that might have something to do with it.

Mr.Philip

Jul 26, 2012
Turn-based rpgs, or really any games with turn-based combat, it's just boring.
Also games with an anime like art style, I don't like looking at them.

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
2d platformers along the lines of mario and sonic (although 2d/2.5d shooters/fighters are exempt, such as castle crashers and terraria)
3d jrpgs
bullet hell
fps's attempting to be 'realistic', especially at the cost of user-friendliness (arma 2 is awful, why are people hyped about arma 3?)
sims games (if only because they cost way too much)
sports games
puzzle games
mobas (or should this genre be kept for the hate thread?)

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
Real time strategy games. Whilst i'm not a huge fan of jRPGs or fighting games (which seem to be the couple of overwhelming choices of genre on here) I have enjoyed games in those genres in the past.

RTS - nope. the concept of it has never appealed as enjoyable to me at all.

Captain Billy

Dec 18, 2012
I've actually never been a huge fan of first person shooters. It's weird, I know, but I've never really found them entertaining.

KerryBamBerry

Dec 29, 2011
The only games it takes me a while to get into would be racing games or any sports game.
They just cant hold my concentration.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Real-world shooters (ie CoD, Medal of Honour, Battlefield, etc). I've never seen much appeal in them. Throw it into a fantasy or sci-fi setting and give it a story that isn't just 'x terrorist group attacked Y' etc, and it's a different matter.

oskalaboska

Sep 25, 2012
Hates:
MMO's- while the games usually passable, having the board filled with 'Please Help me!!??!!" or conversations about how nice Edward's BO probably is really bothers me (especially if I have to pay a monthly subscription)
MOBA's- see above
Sports- I just can't play them. I've tried and it doesn't work.

Honourable Mentions:

J-RPG- because you get lots of convoluted story and bad gameplay (and I just can't kill hope that the next one will be better)
Survival Horror- because every one is a lie. Its either a thinly veiled Action/Adventure (glares at RE4,5,6) or there is no horror involved at all (Amy, Dead Space)
FPS- because just when I'm about 2 seconds from not caring a great one comes out (Far Cry 3)

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Sports games.

They're the only genre that you can safely/easily/legally do - physically.
Why the hell would you play a sports game when you can actually go out and train in MMA, actually go out and play Football or Gridiron.

I just never understood it, and never cared for it.

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
sports games, no interest whatsoever.
Also fighting games though to a lesser degree.
Finally modern military shooters, only exception being spec ops the line but that's a tad different to most.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
A.A.K said:
They're the only genre that you can safely/easily/legally do - physically.
Why the hell would you play a sports game when you can actually go out and train in MMA, actually go out and play Football or Gridiron.

I just never understood it, and never cared for it.
This is one thing that has come up a lot and it's not really the best excuse to say that they are a pointless genre. I'm not a fighter because I don't like hurting people in real life but I enjoy playing UFC or fight night games because it's fun to play them. Then there is also the fact that there are not to many places around me that do MMA stuff and if so I doubt they would be open at times when I play games. Other sports can be accountable as well, most of my friends only enjoy watching basketball but I love playing it and watching it so it's not as simple as going and playing it because it would be just me and that's not really as fun.

Once again, I play most of my video games at night, as I know a lot of other people do, and it's not really practical to call my friends up at 9PM and say "hey, want to go have a hit of tennis or something?" It's just not practical and sports video games allow me to scratch that itch. Plus you don't need to organise things to play a video game, you just put the disk in and play.

Another reason sports games are popular is because they let you do things you aren't able to do in real life. This can be stuff like the tricks in FIFA or dunking in NBA 2K. A similar argument could be if you want to play a military shooter go join the army, you'll get the same feeling. Video games allow us to do things we can't in real life which is why sports games are not pointless.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am fine with someone not liking a genre, hell, I mentioned some in an earlier post but I acknowledge that they aren't pointless because they are just genre's I am not a fan of.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Realistic sports and driving games. I cannot stand those games. The ones's that are not realistic though, like Mario Kart, are much more fun.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
I'm not really genre-savvy with games or music but there are two tags that turn me away

1)RTS - a game where your main opponents are the UI and Artificial Idiocy of your own units

2)"realistic military shooter" - repulsive on idealogical level and mind-bogglingly boring to boot

These are of course personal opinions/experiences and should not be taken as all-encompassing truth.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
Dating games, Sports games and Racing games. They just seem so...pointless and unnecessary.

FIFA is still selling unaccountably well in this country, which simply baffles me.

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
RTS: Never got good at any of them, and never really saw how. If there's just one unpleasant surprise that destroys one part of my system, the rest will come crumblng down and I can't stop it. Ever.

Fighting games: The only time I'm really having fun with them is when I fairly won a fight, and button mashing victories feel undeserved. The only way of getting there is memorizing combos and training a lot, and by then, I'm sick of the game. But if you switch, you have to start over.

Adventure: I'm too dumb for them. Also, some can get really unintuitive, where it wants you to use items in very specific ways that you'd never guess, because the solution is so far fetched. At some point, I just try using everything with everything, and rage every time the least likely combination is actually the right one... and still doesn't give me much to work with.

Most modern FPS: The contrary of all of the above

What's important to me is a challenge that doesn't get too easy or too frustrating, doesn't require months of training until you see success, and that poses fair tasks where a solution is somewhat feasable.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
1:Fighting games. With the exception of Smash Bros, of course. I am simply not interested on it...
2:Sport games. Again, not interested on them at all.

... Thats the main two. I am not sure if I should put RTS genre as well, its on the very edge of this, but I have actually enjoyned a few games of that genre so I will let it pass... barely.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I don't really care about sports game, I figure if I like a sport that much I might as well play it for real rather than a video game version of it. I don't like survival horror games like Amnesia much either, being spooked by a game isn't my idea of fun.